Xbox wireless adapter won't connect

ngk2112

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've got a strange problem with my son's Xbox in that the (Microsoft)wireless adapter shows a constant red light but will not connect to the wireless network.

I'm using a BT Voyager ADSL wireless router and (here's the weird bit) I already have 2 Xboxes connected to the Internet with no problem.
I use MAC Address filtering as the security (no WMA or WEP)
The MAC address of the new Xbox has been defined on the router. Previously, this would be enough and the other 2 Xboxes would connect with no problem.
The new Xbox wireless adapter simply shows the constant red light.
I've switched the kit around and I've proved that the new adapter is OK (it works on another Xboxes)
I bought the Xbox from Argos and this is the 3rd one (the first would not even boot up. the second had the network problem and it appears that the 3rd is just the same)

Is this a problem with the Xbox (bad batch from Argos) or am I missing something?

I'm not a newbie to this stuff but at the moment it really has me stumped.

Any suggestions welocme.

Thanks

When I recently upgraded from a Premium to an Elite I experienced the same problem. The wireless adapter had worked fine on my previous console, but not the new one. In the end I got it to work, but I can't for the life of me remember how :confused:

I remember the answer was obvious at the time and not a problme with the adapter, so I suggest just following the instructions and I wish you luck!

Yeah, I get the feeling that I'm missing something obvious but can't put my finger on it.
The last 2 were so easy to set up that I think I must be doing something wrong.

Exactly the same for me, I've set up mine connected to different networks as well as setting up connections for freinds too.

As I say, just run through the process again and you're bound to work out what both you and I were missing!

I finally figured out the problem.
The BT Voyager has a setting called Hide SSID Broadcast which I had ticked.
When I removed this the Xbox came online immediately.

It is OK to hide the SSID once the Xbox has been setup but it obviously needs to see the SSID name to make the initial connection.

:clap:

I have the same problem, bought a Elite, my first Xbox, and wireless adapter a few days ago, and it will not connect to my Netgear wireless router. I have tried most things and have now run out of ideas, all i get is the red light staying on.

Strange, as I have connected a wireless laptop and Wii with no problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

dougan

Forgot to mention that the adapter does not pick up my Netgear router, even when I moved the Xbox a few metres away.

Could it be faulty?

dougan

I have now connected to my router and am enjoying Xbox Live!

I had WPA2 sercurity but changed it to WPA and it found the Netgear straight away. Did not know the wireless adapter did not support WPA2.
It was shown on the menu, but I could not access it.

dougan

I've got a similar problem where the wireless adapter light stays red. How did you change the SSID settings?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom