Xbox Series X

Yeah take your time. Ermmm….

I’ve already changed my mind as I’ve just realised I used the same light blue for the bumper and triggers on my last deign labs controller! Can’t be having that! :rotfl:

I don’t like metallic so there’s more than enough for me there, but considering its only been up a few days i think the selection is excellent.
As with everything these days no matter how good something is there’ll always be someone who finds something to moan about. :rolleyes:

Well I think it’s pretty natural to be disappointed when I’ve waited months and months for the service to start up again and it’s missing all the coolest elements that it had before, I’d rather they had waited until they could launch the full service again and not release it half arsed and bare bones.

Metallics are great, they feel so much nicer than the normal plastics, it’s why they use them in the Elite range of controllers.

Well I think it’s pretty natural to be disappointed when I’ve waited months and months for the service to start up again and it’s missing all the coolest elements that it had before, I’d rather they had waited until they could launch the full service again and not release it half arsed and bare bones.

Metallics are great, they feel so much nicer than the normal plastics, it’s why they use them in the Elite range of controllers.
See I think being disappointed that you can’t order what you want is natural. But wanting them to not launch and stop others who don’t care about the metallics from ordering controllers seems an odd thing to think. They’ve launched a service you pay for. If they haven’t got what you want you can wait and others can use it in the meantime if they choose?

Surely that’s reasonable? They’ve launched the no additional cost options I think. With textured grips already not sure they will even revive the rubber ones….

See I think being disappointed that you can’t order what you want is natural. But wanting them to not launch and stop others who don’t care about the metallics from ordering controllers seems an odd thing to think. They’ve launched a service you pay for. If they haven’t got what you want you can wait and others can use it in the meantime if they choose?

Surely that’s reasonable? They’ve launched the no additional cost options I think. With textured grips already not sure they will even revive the rubber ones….

Perhaps you are correct, it’s just surprising they’ve had such a long time and they still couldn’t launch the service at the same standard as before, perhaps it’s the usual impact of Covid situation who knows.

They should at least offer the option of the rubber grips, they’re vastly different to a simple pattern imprinted onto the handle……I hesitate to say superior as I’m not convinced they are in anyway functionally 'better', but needless to say some will prefer those over the default option.

My greatest wish is if I could customise the sticks, that’s the least favourite part of the Series controller, on the Elite2 I use the smooth sticks - officially called 'classic' but in an ideal world I would want the PlayStation sticks in there, really I should just bite the bullet and pay someone to put Dualsense sticks in my Series pad.

My Series X has just arrived, so will be setting that up after work, only 7 hours to go lol

My Series X has just arrived, so will be setting that up after work, only 7 hours to go lol

It has/had a day one update of around 500 MB as part of the first-time boot up process, unless they're shipping them with a later revision of the system software now. Either way, I reckon there will be a system update to do, but I've found them to be much quicker on the Series X, thanks to its new internal hardware. It blows my internal SSD One X away.

Even now...8 months on from release, I'm blown away by the speed of the Series X. Everything is just so quick. Switching games and loading times are generally great. Even for titles that don't support Quick Resume and load from scratch are really quick. For example, ME Legendary doesn't support QR but can boot up from scratch and load your saved game in a matter of seconds. I love it!

Even now...8 months on from release, I'm blown away by the speed of the Series X. Everything is just so quick. Switching games and loading times are generally great. Even for titles that don't support Quick Resume and load from scratch are really quick. For example, ME Legendary doesn't support QR but can boot up from scratch and load your saved game in a matter of seconds. I love it!

My Series X feels super slow at the moment, but that’s just because I’m playing Miles Morales on PS5 which is like light speed in comparison. Quick resume is a god send though, but I wish all non online games supported it, Biomutant is dumb having to load it up and click buttons every few steps to move it onto the next screen, why the heck is that even a thing, why would I want to load the game up and then just sit on one of the intro screens never reaching the main menu how idiotic.

With things like Rewards and Game Pass I’m spending more time on the dash than I really care to so I do wish they gave this a visual makeover, it’s proper basic when compared to the full screen 4K artwork you get when you hover over a PS5 tile. Microsoft say it’s at 1080p to keep it nice and slick, but really the console operating system must be super resource intensive if you’ve made the worlds most powerful console and you still can’t have better visuals for the dash alongside increased performance. I also wish everything wasn’t a separate app, why aren’t Rewards and Game Pass baked into the UI on the system level, having to load them up as separate apps is very silly and I don’t see why it’s needed at all.

why when I move a PlayStation game between storage device cant it do it in the background like on the series X nope i have to sit there with a progress screen. more important question why doesnt PlayStation have a rewards app or gamepass or fps boost or backwards compatibility with games older than ps4 or increased SSD storage or compatibility with last gen controllers or ALLM or VRR

Last edited:
I have been playing more SP Games Recently and Quick Resume is excellent. Been playing Prey and it just loads instantly to where I left it.

Loving my Series X and can't wait for my Series S to turn up on Friday and compare them both.

Now to try and do the switcheroo in the lounge with the Series X and S.

Anyone got a recommendation for an HDMI cable that’s a bit longer than standard,have managed to get myself a games room in our house, but in the interests of neatness I need a 3 or maybe 4 m cable so it doesn’t just run diagonally down the wall(want straight down and under desk then across to Xbox),it’s to connect to an LG cx so anyone that’s got one and has no issues with 4k/120hz can recommend what they got?

why when I move a PlayStation game between storage device cant it do it ion the background like on the series X nope i have to sit there with a progress screen. more important question why doesnt PlayStation have a rewards app or gamepass or fps boost or backwards compatibility with games older than ps4 or increased SSD storage or compatibility with last gen controllers
Because Sony spent all the R&D money on a futuristic design and not on useful features, that said, I do feel the Series X is a bit big and numb looking after having the cute Series S for 6 months.

My console has about 1inch clearance at the top, would people say that’s enough? There’s a fair bit of hot air coming out the top, just worried some of that is making its way back into the console!

why when I move a PlayStation game between storage device cant it do it ion the background like on the series X nope i have to sit there with a progress screen. more important question why doesnt PlayStation have a rewards app or gamepass or fps boost or backwards compatibility with games older than ps4 or increased SSD storage or compatibility with last gen controllers

Well because it’s a PlayStation and not an Xbox, you don’t get the exact same feature set, so as much as we’d like to we can’t pick and choose the best bits of PS5 and the best bits of Series X and smosh then together into one Super console.

But yes, no backgrounding while you are moving stuff is incredibly annoying and extremely 2010, thank god it’s rare I’m moving stuff but still……..what a joke.

I’m not sure why you think you would be able to access GamePass on a Sony console, if you mean a similar service they already have one called PS Now.

Increased SSD storage is coming in future, there’s an expansion bay inside the console that is currently disabled. Compatible models will eventually be whitelisted for use and also be rather pricey I would imagine.

As for the Dualshock 4 it works fine on PS5, on the games it was designed to work with, it doesn’t work on new PS5 games, those require a Dualsense. Say you know you’ll only be playing a PS4 game this week then you don’t even need to touch the DualSense, DS4 will still turn on the PS5, hold the PS button don’t tap it.

Because Sony spent all the R&D money on a futuristic design and not on useful features, that said, I do feel the Series X is a bit big and numb looking after having the cute Series S for 6 months.

My console has about 1inch clearance at the top, would people say that’s enough? There’s a fair bit of hot air coming out the top, just worried some of that is making its way back into the console!
personally i dont think 1 inch clearance is enough i wouldnt feel comfortable having mine like that. I have mine like this

20201116_190755.jpg

Last edited:

You'd ideally want a bit more clearance than that. Its probably going to be ok but depends genuinely how tight and whats around. 1inch with lots of space in front should be ok I'd say but ideally you want more. Have mine the same as @shoestring25 for that reason.

7B9977A9-63F1-44BC-B9AF-752A1FB776B9.jpeg

Ok this is the current situation, I’m not exactly happy with it. There is plenty of room left and right and plenty to the rear, but as you can see the main vent is restricted

View attachment 1532288
Ok this is the current situation, I’m not exactly happy with it. There is plenty of room left and right and plenty to the rear, but as you can see the main vent is restricted
Not quite enough can you not bring the tv forward a little bit on the stand and put the xbox series x behind the tv?

B184D9CD-C9FA-48D2-8D94-D4D9E31EBBED.jpeg

Came up with a very satisfying solution, it’s now on its side with the intake vent sticking out the back of the cube unit, so no air flow is restricted and no wires on show, except the tv power lead lol. Very rarely use the disc so very happy now! Also got free heating in the winter months lol

View attachment 1532637
Came up with a very satisfying solution, it’s now on its side with the intake vent sticking out the back of the cube unit, so no air flow is restricted and no wires on show, except the tv power lead lol. Very rarely use the disc so very happy now! Also got free heating in the winter months lol
They a vent at the back mate? bottom left i think that needs to have clearance.

They a vent at the back mate? bottom left i think that needs to have clearance.
The bottom 1/4 of the console is hanging out the back of the cube unit, all vents have clearance and as no warm air is emitted from the bottom, all should be good

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom