1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox pad on PC

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by sussexmariner, Feb 15, 2009.

1. sussexmariner

sussexmariner Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry for starting a new thread but I have posted in the "using gamepad for PC" section already with no response and I'm getting desparate!!

Hi there,

I need some help please!

I want to play COD4 on my PC with a wired Xbox controller. I have downloaded the Xpadder software and set up the joypad but I dont know how to switch the PC into accepting the controller as the keyboard and mouse!

and before anyone replies, Yes I know I SHOULD use the K&M but I'm in my 40's and its taken me 10 years just to work out how to use the bloody xbox pad properly so I'm not going to waste another 10 on the keyboard and mouse!!!!

Any help most welcome.
  2. GMC79

GMC79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,723
    Cant help u directly on the COD4 front but from the games ive played with the 360 pad ( GTA:SA, Race '07, Richard Burns Rally etc ) u should just simply select it from the menu in control settings. Should show up as xbox 360 Conrtoller or XBMC Gamepad etc depending drivers used. Go have another look in settings, should be an easy change then simple configure buttons.
    Infact was gonna have a try of the COD4 PC demo so could even have look when i fire it up. :)
  3. Chaos

Chaos Moderator

Ratings:
    +285
    Download Pinnacle as in the FAQ. Will work easily with that.
  4. Alphathon

Alphathon Member

Ratings:
    +39
    If COD4 supports the 360 controller directly it should work without any configuration at all. From what you say though it sounds like it doesn't support it, which is where XPadder comes in.

You say you have set up the controller in Xpadder, but have you made a profile for your game. You have to manually configure the gampad to be recognised as the keyobard and mouse. It's not difficult though - all you do is click on one of the squares that represents a button or analog stick and then press the button you want it to represent. For example you want to use the A button to act as ENTER. All you do is click the square that represents A and then press ENTER. You can set up more compliceted things as well like macros but with the limited number of buttons on the 360 controller I wouldn't have thought you would have enough free buttons.

As Chaosx said you could get Pinnacle game profiler instead of XPadder, but it isn't free and isn't really any easier to configure (more flexable, but for your needs I don't think that should matter).

One thing you probably will find hard to do though is analog movement. On the keyboard usually you are always running and you press shift or some other key to walk. this is problematic when translated to analog sticks.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  5. sussexmariner

sussexmariner Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your replies,

I have configured the pad in Xpadder, the PC reconises the pad, all is fine but how do I get the pad to work when I open up COD4?

Should I be able to use the xbox pad instead of the mouse to move the pointer? then I could open up COD and change the layout from there?
  6. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,749
    Pinnacle is the daddy of apps for this type of thing and it will allow you to use the pad as a mouse. Its has a license fee for a reason. The reason being its well supported and it works very well. If you followed the instructions on the sticky I did you will have no problems. I am sorry I missed you post in that thread asking for help. :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Alphathon

Alphathon Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Well if you configured Xpadder right, and you have it running while COD is running, it should work perfectly. It has to be set to use the corret keys though. If it is working correctly then you will be able to use the mouse and keys you have set up in any windows program or even while not running a program at all. I would recommend you just set the right stick to use the mouse and see if it works. Once you have set it to act as the mouse it should just work. If it doesn't either you havn't done it right or there's something wrong. One thing I must emphasise is that XPadder must be open when you run the game or it won't work (it's just a program that converts the controller inputs into keyboard/mouse events. It is not a driver that does it permenently).

If you can't get it to work at all, even in windows, then I can make a video tutorial to set it up properly or try to figure out whats wrong. As long as it is set up correctly it WILL work with any program/game that uses keyboard and/or mouse inputs.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1