Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox one and AV Receivers

Discussion in 'TV & Multimedia via Xbox One' started by GAmbrose, Nov 18, 2013.

1. GAmbrose

GAmbrose Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Can someone try and explain how the pass-through feature will work.

As I understand it, Xbox One has a HDMI in and HDMI out. It will blanket the room with IR with the intention that the console should be able to act as a remote to control all other devices?

At the moment my particular setup is:

Bluray, Freesat, Xbox 360, PS3 -> Sony Receiver
    Sony Receiver -> TV HDMI 1

PC -> TV HDMI 2

So adding an Xbox One to the mix - is there a way to enable it to control everything?

I was thinking

Existing Devices -> Sony Receiver
    Sony Receiver-> Xbox One
    Xbox One -> TV HDMI 1

However, if you do that (Xbox One HDMI out direct to the TV), the receiver won't be able to pick-up the DD 5.1 signal from the console unless you use a separate optical cable (does it even have an optical out?)

What would be the best way around this? And will the actual console be able to control everything, change all the correct inputs etc etc?

Slightly confusing I know.
  2. MartinH32

MartinH32 Member

Ratings:
    +130
    I don't know about it being able to control everything but it seems logical what you have said. I've got the same problem with the added complication of a projector and TV. The BluRay player can't go through the amp (amp isn't 3d compatible) and has two outputs. My hdmi routing is a the moment a buggers muddle!
  3. barneystuta

barneystuta Member

Ratings:
    +381
    I will wait and see. Until some of the AVF members get their hands on the system, and play around with it in different configurations, no one knows what will/wont work best
  4. freemo999

freemo999 Member

Ratings:
    +156
    I would prefer it if Xbox didnt try and control everything to be honest.

I have 2 rooms worth of kit in the one cabinet and using Keene IR Repeaters i have just about got to the stage where switching one room doesnt also change the other rooms channel/volume.

So if it can be disabled I will be doing that immediately
  5. OldSwitcheroo

OldSwitcheroo Active Member

Ratings:
    +564
    Exactly the same situation here, so I'll sub to this.

I will have a 360 (although may well sell it as I only play GTA and that won't get much of a look in from Friday), xbox one, Sky box and AV receiver.

Current thinking is that 360 will go into the XB1 and everything else will go straight into the receiver, which will then feed direct to the tv...
  6. iwb100

iwb100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,182
    Controlling everything is independent of how it is plugged in. It is simply using the kinect as a voice controlled universal remote. Irrespective what is plugged in where.
  7. djmattsims

djmattsims Member

Ratings:
    +64
    I was hoping to plug my receiver into the HDMI In and then have the Xbox as the single connection to the TV. I have read that the One supports ARC and I am hoping it will send the audio back to the receiver (although I am having doubts now as it would have to route it back through the HDMI In when typically it only does ARC back through HDMI Out).

Will have to just wait and see on Friday.
  8. OldSwitcheroo

Ratings:
    +564
    I've read nowhere that the XB1 will be able to switch inputs on the tv... I'd like to use one input for films and another for gaming (with completely different settings); this is one of the fears I have of using the XB1 Bl-ray, as opposed to a dedicated player.
  9. -Hitman-

-Hitman- Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    I ran my 360 direct to the TV and optical audio to my amp as not to gain any additional delay or lag and i'll be doing the same with the one.
  10. OldSwitcheroo

Ratings:
    +564
    This is my current set-up (well, actually, I use component as I find the picture better over HDMI)

Probably going to do the same for the XB1 thinking about it.
  11. -Hitman-

-Hitman- Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    It's food for thought as you'll never know if the amp will induce some processing lag.
  12. djmattsims

djmattsims Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Aren't you concerned that you will be losing out on the new uncompressed audio by using an optical cable?
  13. -Hitman-

-Hitman- Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Will it be a big difference from optical, if so I may experiment with my AVR to check for any added lag.

However low lag is most important.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  14. Philbo

Philbo Member

Ratings:
    +181
    Was waiting for a thread about this to pop up (I knew it would so didn't bother starting one myself!)
    My current setup is Blu-ray, 360, and Sky HD (sometimes a Raspberry Pi as well) into AV receiver all via HDMI and then AV receiver to TV HDMI.

Won't need the Blu-ay anymore with the Xbox one so will probably sell that. Planning to run everything into the receiver still so will see what happens once I manage to have a play around!
  15. iwb100

iwb100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,182
    Yes I agree. It's why I'm not having TV through my XB1 as I use different settings for gaming and TV.

However that is confusing two issues.

Kinder acts as an IR blaster and can control your devices via voice commands (to a limited extent).

What you choose to plug into the HDMI in on your X1 has no bearing on that aspect.
  16. djmattsims

djmattsims Member

Ratings:
    +64
    If I'm honest, unless your an audiophile you probably won't be able to tell much difference.

For me, however, it would drive me insane knowing I wasn't getting the best possible quality sound I could get from my system.
  17. -Hitman-

-Hitman- Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    True but would it be a priority over adding lag to your online gaming?

If you had a laptop with HDMI you can test for lag using the info/link I posted in the thread I've linked below.

The way to do it would be a direct connection test to your display first to get the TV's native lag then run another test running the hdmi feed through the AVR and check for added lag.

I may do this experiment myself.

max lag for xbone? | AVForums
  18. signs

signs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308

Can you get True HD sound over optical ?

Forget this question , for some reason I missed all the posts after you posted :)
  19. djmattsims

djmattsims Member

Ratings:
    +64
    I've never experienced any lag using HDMI.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone will be tinkering on Friday to find the best solutions. I've got my fingers crossed the Audio Return Channel works as I hope otherwise the Xbox will simply be going straight into my receiver.
  20. GAmbrose

GAmbrose Member

Ratings:
    +9
    If it has no baring on controlling other devices, what is the point of plugging anything in to the Xbox one?

Also if it's an IR Blaster why couldn't it switch inputs with a voice command?
  21. signs

signs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308
    Mines a nightmare ..

360 into Xbox one

Xbox one into amp

Amp to projector

Then ....

Nas into mede8tor

Mede8tor into amp

HDDVD into amp

Sky into projector (sound optical to amp)

Might have to keep off the beer Friday night to sort this lot out !!! :)
  22. iwb100

iwb100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,182
    You plug your cable or sky box into your X1 so you can switch instantly between TV and games or snap TV while playing games or using apps etc.

Also so you can get game requests whilst watching TV. And eventually so you can use the one guide to manage all your TV listings including on demand stuff.

If that's what you want like.....
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Gazaman

Gazaman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129
    I have a TV on one wall and a projector screen on the other and I plan on the following with my devices:-
    I have a 4 in and 2 out HDMI Matrix.

SKY,Wii U,Mede8er------>HDMI Matrix----->(Output one)TV
    ......................................................----->(Ouput two)Xbox One---->Amp---->Projector
    This will enable me to pass through any of my devices when watching on the projector and also allowing me to have sound through the amp.
    I will also be able to watch any of my devices on the tv using the tv volume control (surround sound isnt necessary anyway as speaker placement is set up for the projector)
  24. Meridius

Meridius Active Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Hi all

We'll I am in the same boat as I want to be able to play games and watch blurays from the xbox one, the problem is I have two different settings one for games and one for blurays as I own a pioneer 5090 which has two types of options for one input.

I have come up with one idea which I am hoping that it will work. I am going to plug the xbox one into my amp using a hdmi cable. The amp I have is a Yamaha 3900 which has two hdmi outputs which the amp outputs at the same time. I was going to put one hdmi lead into the tv input 1 with game settings and then put the the other hdmi cable into input 2 of the tv and use movie settings.

Wheni do that I will have the same output of the xbox one to tow different inputs of the tv but depending on what I do I can switch the input to the correct tv settings for that type of source.

The problem is I can not put sky into the Xbox one as the sky has a third option setup for my tv settings which will not do in game mode or movie mode.

The features of the xbox one letting you use tv through the xbox one has been lost by me for this reason. Which is a shame as Microsoft missed a trick by not putting 2 to 3 hdmi outs on the xbox one. If they wanted people to use it as a media hub they should of thought of this when designing it as many TVs are setup differently for each input for each source

I have three different setups for my tv one for gaming one for blurry/DVDs and one more for tv broadcasts. I get the best from all three sources but the xbox one will not do this I might get the best from two sources because of my Amp outputting two hdmi which is also a shame that it does not do three

Microsoft should of thought about this abit better one hdmi does not cut it.

Or the only other option is to unplug the xbox 360 plug that into the Xbox one and then plug the Xbox one into the tv and do not bother using it as a blurry or media hub and just use it as a game machine which would be a waste even two hdmis output would of been easier than just one.
  25. Inj

Inj Member

Ratings:
    +67
    I guess I've got it pretty lucky then!

Virgin TiVo (HDMI port 1)...Xbox One (HDMI port2) (not connected, no point yet)....into AV Receiver...

HDMI Out into HDMI In on the telly.

I was led to believe that everything, if possible, should go into your AV Receiver and as few devices are possible into the TV? Again, device depending.

(A total aside, but is just me, or will people be re-calibrating their surround sound speakers to just make sure that the output from the Xbox One will be 'as it should be'?)
  26. GAmbrose

GAmbrose Member

Ratings:
    +9
    This is sort of what I imagined.

[​IMG]

Xbox One supports ARC supposedly, so should be able to route sound data back to the Receiver via the HDMI input
  27. Inj

Inj Member

Ratings:
    +67
    Doesn't that suggest that your Xbox One would have to be on all the time? Just as a pass thru? What's the benefit of that in your view?
  28. GAmbrose

GAmbrose Member

Ratings:
    +9
    No, it'll passthrough the signal in standby mode (from what I have read) and that consumes less than 1w of power.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. Inj

Inj Member

Ratings:
    +67
    Right, gotcha! I'm sensing some wiring changes ahead :)
  30. rob_brum

rob_brum Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Does ARC mean that the HDMI cable from the AV receiver from to the One will also send the sound back to the AV receiver? if so do you need a 1.4 hdmi cable?