1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox and broadband

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by common, May 20, 2002.

1. common

common Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I am about to get broadband via BT, which I believe uses a USB connection to the PC.

How do I get it to my Xbox which has an ethernet connection ?

Cheers
  2. lechacal

lechacal Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Could be tricky.

BT use USB for the home version of Openworld because they want to restrict you to one machine for the connection. If you want an ethernet connection (which would allow you, in theory, to connect your own LAN) they want you to buy the business (read 3-times-the-price) version.
    I've heard of people saying it is possible to buy and use your own ADSL-ethernet modem, but I don't know how expensive this might be, or what the potential problems are.

When the Xbox officially goes online, BT could well be one of MSs chosen broadband partners. If so then there is bound to be an officially supported solution.
  3. common

common Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the response - any idea when the xbox is officially going online ?
  4. lechacal

lechacal Member

Ratings:
    +66
    MS say that the rollout "is targeted for release in select European countries for holiday this year". Which , I guess, means you might get it at Xmas time. Might.

Thinking about the USB thing...If you connect the ADSL-USB cable to a PC with an ethernet card in it, it should be possible to get the Xbox online by hooking it up to the PC, effectively creating your own network in any case. Ethernet cards are dirt-cheap so this is probably the solution.
  5. common

common Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks again - is a wireless ethernet connection possible ?

PC and Xbox in seperate rooms
  6. lechacal

lechacal Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Don't see why not.
  7. snikwas

snikwas Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You could get an ADSL Router/Modem combo. It connects to your phoneline like the USB Modem, but provides Ethernet ports for your computers. www.adslguide.org.uk has a list of Routers and links to where you can purchase them. Network Address Translation should hide the multiple IPs from BT. However, it may make gaming a problem as it normally needs port forwarding.

You could also try another ADSL provider that allows multiple IPs, get ther router and use port forwarding. I have just signed up with Zen and they have provided 8 free IP addresses.
  8. common

common Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for that - Zen look good. They do a 4 port ethernet hub for £199 and ADSL for £25.50 - will this allow me to connect to the PC for internet and Xbox for online games ?

Cheers
  9. snikwas

snikwas Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It should, I can't confirm this as mine will not be set up until Thursday. I purchased a router separately as the Alcatel router only has a 10mbit hub and I wanted 10/100. I have purchased a ZyXEL P643 Router from a third party. Adslguide.org.uk has links to them.

It should work with a PC and when XBox broadband comes online it hopefully will. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  10. EffTee

EffTee Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I've just finished my first online game of Halo using my Alcatel USB modem and BT Broadband. It's surprisingly easy to get online - you just need a NIC, a bit of crossover patch cable and the XBconnect software. The game I had was a bit laggy, but it's got a lot of potential :)

The card and cable came to about £25 from B&Q online with next day delivery.

EffTee