1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 720 (Or Next-Box) Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Xbox One Forum' started by Dinky Dragon, Jan 5, 2012.

?

Will the Next-Gen Microsoft console be revealed at 2012?

Poll closed Jan 17, 2012.
  1. Yes

27.5%
  2. No

72.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SparkShot

SparkShot Active Member

Ratings:
    +423
    If the 6670 gpu rumors are true this is basically MS doing a nintendo and dropping out of the console hardware arms race.

Looks like next xbox and nintendo consoles will be pretty similiar is terms of hardware performance going by the rumors so far.

On the plus side the launch prices should be reletively low.
  2. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    The next Xbox is 22 months away, will ship with Kinect, and brings games to life using technology straight out of Star Trek. it's already designed - this we know. You can't keep a lid on a story this huge.

All sources come up short on just how powerful Oban and ATI's new graphics processing unit (GPU) is, but both must surely be tough enough to run Epic's Samaritan demo from 2011's GDC. Running on a heavily modified version of Unreal 3, the demo showed near-photorealistic visuals, incredible lighting effects and superb liquid physics.

And don't underestimate Epic's clout. When Microsoft was designing the 360 it was Epic's Gears of War demo which forced MS to increase RAM from 256Mb to 512Mb, and that was then. This time Epic's Euro-boss Mike Gamble has called Samaritan a "request to the hardware manufacturers for what we'd like to be able to do." Where Epic's Unreal Engine leads, the hardware simply has to follow.

Sorry it's a 3 page article so it's best reading from the link

Xbox Feature: Xbox 720: Inside the next Xbox - ComputerAndVideoGames.com
  3. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,433
    It'll be the CPU and GPU on the same chip but if using a Southern Islands chip then that's a 28nm architecture and screws up the design.

Sorry but 22 months is pretty laughable. This is always going to be the case but if on the same level as a 6670 - a GPU which has been in the OEM channel since Feb 2011 and in the retail channel since Apr 2011 - then in two years it will just be silly. by that point we'll have had a refresh of the 7xxx series (the 8xxx series) and be very close to a new architecture (the 9xxx series).
  4. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Whatever the specs are, hopefully they'll show it at E3 this year.

They've certainly got some heavy hitters moved over to the Xbox division anyway. Even this guy is working on the next Xbox: -

Dave Cutler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It makes me wonder if they're going to offer an OnLive-type service on top of the existing options for playing games.

As for shipping with Kinect, I'd still bet that we'll see basic Kinect integration built in with a proper Kinect 2 on sale separately. Lots of TVs at CES had depth-sensing cameras and mics built in for gesture/voice control, so I think we'll get the basics of that with the console, then if you want the full motion control gaming experience you can buy Kinect 2.
  5. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    They're all rumours at the moment. When the PS3 and 360 were released the hardware made leaps and bounds in improvements from their pre-predecessors and used architecture on par with modern day PC's. I hope the next gen consoles do the same, why would they release a console which would be outdated as soon as it hits retail?

Consoles don't need to compete with PC's imo they just to deliver hardware that will satisfy the developers/publishers to see them through the next console refresh cycle.

Another important quote from the article:

I have confidence it will :devil:

6. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    Never underestimate the influence of devs.

Epic Games' technical head Tim Sweeney says next-generation games consoles need to be "huge and fundamentally new" before a hardware shift is justified.

Speaking to VentureBeat (via OXM), Sweeney called current-gen consoles' longevity a "mixed blessing", as it becomes "harder to generate excitement from the same hardware".
    "We have been able to ship three Gears of War games on the same generation of hardware, each one with dramatic improvements over the last and a two to three-year development cycle," he said.

"So it's been a very good thing for a game business today. With each new title, there is a bigger and bigger Xbox 360 installed base of users, so the games can sell more.

"On the other hand, it gets harder to generate the same excitement from the same hardware. That is when the new hardware is justified. But then you reset the installed base to zero and it's a lot harder to sell a lot of games again.

"So you should only replace the hardware when you can make a dramatic leap in quality, not just 2X or 3X. It has to be huge and fundamentally new."

Epic of course famously persuaded Microsoft to upgrade the Xbox 360 with more RAM, a decision that Sweeney claims costs the platform holder "$1 billion".

"They put in extra memory and that is one of the reasons we were able to make Gears of War look so compelling," he explained. "Without that extra memory, we would have far less space for details.

"That decision cost Microsoft about $1 billion, but you can say that it paid off big time. They would not have succeeded to the extent they have today if they had not done that."

Gamers will be hoping the Gears of War developer can dictate Microsoft's hardware plans again, after it showcased a stunning 'next-gen' Unreal Engine video early last year.

PS4, Xbox 3 need to be 'huge and fundamentally new' - Epic - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Yes I am hoping.
  7. criggy

criggy Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Well majnu, even if MS and Sony were to do 200 watt consoles again (which I seriously doubt) then what we'll get will be nowhere near a high end PC today. Never mind a high end PC of late 2013!

A cutting edge GPU in 2005 was 100 watt and today that is 225 watt+......you can't get a quart in a pint pot.

What Tim Sweeney says is very interesting. He heavily hint's that the new Xbox is only 2-3X the power of 360 and is basically pleading with MS to delay till a big jump is possible......
  8. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    They could be making 2 consoles

I'm just keeping the hype strong with this one :devil:
  9. criggy

criggy Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I agree it is very possible for MS do 2 SKU's like suggested. If they did do this though, the CPU,GPU and Memory would be identical in both IMO.

It would just be too expensive to have 2 of everything. Even for MS.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a nuclear powered next gen console, but I just know we ain't gonna get it.....:D
  10. amardilo

amardilo Active Member

Ratings:
    +274
    Wasn't Epic's Samaritan demo running under 3 high end Nvidia cards? If that is the case I doubt the next Xbox will get close to that as the cost of a machine like that would be way too high. Although I would love the next generation to look like that.

They seem to be pulling in lot of well known technology people. I know 2010 they hired the founder of VoodooPC Rahul Sood, so hopefully that means they are looking at cool high end hardware.
  11. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    I'm waiting until E3. If MS don't announce anything or create WiiU type machine or if the rumours about second hand games are true then I'll go to PC gaming. :)
  12. BluWarfareHD09

BluWarfareHD09 Active Member

Ratings:
    +165
  13. GAZBEROTTEN

GAZBEROTTEN Member

Ratings:
    +128
    I know there are a lot of fake Xbox 720 videos around but this one looks legit and the person making this did a good job

14. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon Member

Ratings:
    +349
    Ummm...

Im not too sure...
  15. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
  16. amardilo

amardilo Active Member

Ratings:
    +274
    I hope they don't change the controller too much. I feel (other than the d-pad) the controllers pretty good and has been standardised on the PC and 360.
  17. kristianity77

kristianity77 Member

Ratings:
    +46
    I think people are reading way too much into the hardware side of what may or may not go into the next xbox.

What you have to remember is that the next console, whatever is inside it will not need anywhere near the same kind of spec as a top end PC in order to get the same results. A console is a closed system, resulting in much more performance for much lesser hardware.

The 360 has some real good looking games even still and this is based on hardware from what mid to late 2004?

When you look at PC hardware that is roughly considered to be equal to whats in a 360, its incredible really that games are still looking as good as they are.

Also, people saying that with the price of high end video cards these days means that new consoles will either be underpowered or overpriced again isnt true. Im no PC gamer but im led to believe that high end video cards only really come into there own over lower spec cards are silly resolutions am i right? Surely the next generation of consoles in all probability will not have to push out anything more than 1080P, which again, negates the need for all that extra power.

And regarding the comment above to do with power draw from consoles, you only have to look at the Vita, and what that can push out in terms of graphics whilst powering a screen all from a battery to know that with research etc, this can be bought down considerably from modern PCs, with id expect no loss in performance at all.

What im saying is, IMO, a new console could appear to be considerably underpowered compared to a high end PC, but id wager that the performance wont be too far behind with all the optomizations that occur in a closed system.
  18. Delvey

Delvey Active Member

Ratings:
    +788
    Some valid points

But I hope in 3 years time that 1080p is the old standard for high definition TV
    Maybe at first any new console will output this, but in 6 years time I expect 120356p to be the norm, so the console needs to be able to run games at this resolution

(120356 is just a random number ;-) )
  19. BluWarfareHD09

Ratings:
    +165
    Next step for resolution is 4K but will be a while as they are between 7 and 10K so will be a good few years till that. and that next gen xbox video :rotfl:
  20. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,910
    How much would it cost to build a PC that's high spec enough to push games out at decent quality to a 4K monitor?

Could you fit that PC into a box the size of an Xbox 360 while keeping it adequately cooled?

Those 2 reasons alone are why we won't see that happening with the next console.
  21. BluWarfareHD09

Ratings:
    +165
    DJ Sigma I was just pointing out to this guy that the next step in resolution is 4K and that they are too much even the displays so will likly be 6-10 years for a console
  22. Delvey

Delvey Active Member

Ratings:
    +788
    But it should

If the next xbox comes out next year say, then the lifespan of the 360 would be 9 years near enough. So by 2020, or maybe earlier that 4k TVs won't be the norm?
    I can't see next lifespan on the next console being as long as the current one
  23. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    What is 4K?
  24. BluWarfareHD09

Ratings:
    +165
    4K is 4 time the resolution of 1080P
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,043
    I've said before and i'd be amazed if im wrong.

The next xbox will likely be the following.

1080p at a maximum of 60fps most no doubt locked to 30fps
    DX11 support
    Bigger HD's
    Bigger RAM
    Some new physical media to replace DVD

The rest will be advancedments in the social side of things, making it more of a social media hub than a games console.

There is no way it will support 4k and if it does it won't be for gaming. If you come from a PC background you will realise how much power GPU and CPU wise you need to play the best looking games at these resolutions.

From my own personal experience i can tell you it costs an absolute fortune, i'd imagine specs for the next console will be chosen already and if not they will this year. Even a year down the line it won't be cheap.

The biggest problem is though is putting all that into a small box and giving it adequate cooling.

A quick example being the AMD 7970 which is the fastest single GPU on the planet and under heavy gaming can hit 80c in a well cooled case, most often than not it's around 70c.

I can't see Microsoft or Sony wanting to spend the first 2 years trying to recoup money back from major losses like in the past either.

3-4 times improvement over current gen is realistic in the market and would probably see a £250 console.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  26. LJx

LJx Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
    I doubt it will have DX11 support unless they want you to install windows on it
  27. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,043
    The current 360 runs a version of DX9.

I also imagine the new XBOX will run some form of Windows 8.
  28. BluWarfareHD09

Ratings:
    +165
    I can see 4K in the next-next gen, but for this gen a less they are able to make a vast approvement over the current graphics and sound quality and things that game developers can do to make games more interactive then I won't be buying as I have absolutly no need for entertainment on my game console and don't care for improvements in that area if it's going to compromise the gaming side, yes it's nice to have it there, but I can do everything either on my tv,laptop, blu ray player,etc. Most new tv's have most of the stuff that the xbox has, youtube,skype,lovefilm, etc in them.
  29. Delvey

Delvey Active Member

Ratings:
    +788
    Totally agree
    I want a games console for gaming. Nothing else. I have 3 PCs for everything else, and also a phone
  30. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,979
    I can't see any console manufacturer pleasing a gamer only market at all in the next generation in terms of releasing hardware that only plays games, it just makes no sense. The lines between set top box (Freeview, DVR, Sky+ etc) will be getting less clear with each passing iteration, and I can see the time not so far away where you'll only need one box that does everything, you just load up apps to it to do what you want.

This approach should suit everyone however, because that customisation is key to the user experience. You only get to see what you want and you're not concerned about the rest, no matter how capable your hardware is. I'd go as far to say as hardware is a red herring of an argument for the next gen. Differences between specs will be even more minimal than they were this gen, it's services that will win the war, not hardware.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.