1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 720 (Or Next-Box) Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Xbox One Forum' started by Dinky Dragon, Jan 5, 2012.

?

Will the Next-Gen Microsoft console be revealed at 2012?

Poll closed Jan 17, 2012.
  1. Yes

27.5%
  2. No

72.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amardilo

amardilo Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    It's being reported that Microsoft don't see January as a good time to release information as it doesn't line up with their product/services cycles -http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/21/2652034/microsoft-says-this-ces-is-its-last-major-appearance-at-the-show.

It looks they may do what Apple do and hold their own events when they are ready to announce things. Also I think they may appear at more focused events (i.e. phone stuff at Mobile World Congress and games at E3).
  2. Satantango

Satantango Member

Ratings:
    +7
  3. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon Member

Ratings:
    +349
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon Member

Ratings:
    +349
    Well that was a huge waste of time. Anti climax on all fronts! Best news there was HTC Titan 2, will we get it in UK? Of course we won't! LOL
  5. PlayStation

PlayStation Member

Ratings:
    +143
    Good. Don't want HTC ***** over here lol. The Sony Xperia S was clearly the best.

Even with the 16MP camera in the HTC T2, it'll be a POS like all HTC cameras. WP Mango.......... -_-
  6. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,910
    I bet we probably will get the Titan 2, cos we got the original Titan.
  7. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon Member

Ratings:
    +349
    Care to share from where?

I see Carphone warehouse only :S
  8. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,910
  9. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    If the xbox takes the Wii U route and produce a silly tablet based controller/console then MS console gaming is finished for me. I will take either Sony's next offering or build a moderate PC. The only problem is I have live until 2014 thanks to that £1 a month glitch :rolleyes: :D
  10. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon Member

Ratings:
    +349
    It wont happen Maj dont worry.

What it will have though is windows 8 tablet integration.

The 360 controller is very important to them ans they know it. Why would they need a tablet anyway, the very idea dirties Kinect.

Thanks DJ, real life saver there. Tmobile can do one now. I cant beleive how bad UK networks are tbh, you are forced to go to these middle men to get decent handsets!

Due an upgrade in March... Do I wait it out to get a slick new Windows phone or go for the Titan 1:/
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  11. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,433
    I guess you're mad then mate :p
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. BluWarfareHD09

BluWarfareHD09 Active Member

Ratings:
    +163
    :confused:
  13. DR Kronenbourg

DR Kronenbourg Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,773
    Absolute raving bonkers I think Ash:rotfl:

Just kidding Darryl:devil:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. BluWarfareHD09

Ratings:
    +163
    What have I missed
  15. DR Kronenbourg

Ratings:
    +1,773
    Read first post mate:smashin::D
  16. BluWarfareHD09

Ratings:
    +163
    I'm still not getting it, I havn't been watching or looking at CES stuff so I might not know
  17. Satantango

Satantango Member

Ratings:
    +7
    As much as I love the xbox I'm not really liking the direction it seems to be going, I wonder how long it will be before we see an app market on the xbox, a whole new source of revenue for themselves, maybe next console will be the start of third party apps with Kinect support you can buy with points, as usual I have no idea what I'm talking about but I'm not ruling it out when Apple are worth 70 billion and Nintendo has the biggest slice of the cake, MS will try to take certain elements of both and give us their own watered down version.
    I've already started planning to build my own HTPC, the consoles will be kept purely for exclusives.

Actually, all the evidence so far suggests that the xbox is aiming to be more of a home entertainment system with stronger emphasis on video on demand than gaming, catch up tv, films on demand, ppv sports, possible cable tv etc so the idea of a touchpad controller would be more practical and popular to the mainstream than a joypad controller, this would suppot the rumour of the next xbox coming in different versions for gaming or home entertainment customers, I think, maybe, I don't know, I talk a lot of **** sometimes :)
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  18. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon Member

Ratings:
    +349
    My partner and I are convinced that I actually suffer from a mild schizophrenia.

Me, myself and I are yet to get it diagnosed...

Seriously though :rolleyes:
  19. DR Kronenbourg

Ratings:
    +1,773
    Well when you do get it diagnosed it doesn't mean you get 2 presents for Christmas:nono:
  20. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon Member

Ratings:
    +349
    3 ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    I'm thinking of going down the HTPC route too. The only problem is that I have a huge pile of games, but I'll wait until E3 2012 to see what direction MS are taking.
  22. criggy

criggy Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Looks like we are now starting to get some proper rumours now. Exclusive: XBox Next/Xbox 720 chips in production | SemiAccurate

My guess at the specs:

GPU= Custom GCN based with power between Cape Verde XT (7770) and Pitcairn Pro (7850)
    CPU= Custom 4 core IBM power with 32MB eDRAM running at ~3.5ghz
    RAM= 2GB GDDR5
    HDD= 500GB
    BD= 4-10X Read
    Kinect2

I reckon at 28/32nm the above should come in below 160 watts at the wall.

I think that would be realistic for a 2013 launch. What does everyone else think we'll get?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon Member

Ratings:
    +349
    Im very happy with those specs!
  24. Pistachio

Pistachio Member

Ratings:
    +95
    This sounds like they are much further from any release than I had been hoping. Will be interesting to see what other info gets released in the coming weeks. Good read though.
  25. criggy

criggy Member

Ratings:
    +68
    IGN have now come in with their own rumour on what the Xbox-Next will pack.

Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen - IGN

Got to say that is quite a bit lower than even my conservative guess TBH.

If true, I think a lot of people will be disappointed with 20% more GPU power than WiiU.
  26. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    According to a new rumour, IBM and Global Foundries are hard at work on the main processor for the next-generation Xbox.

Reportedly codenamed 'Oban', the processor is said to be a System-on-a-Chip (SoC) - a 32nm processor that incorporates a PowerPC CPU and an ATI Southern Islands GPU - basically a modified version of the 7000 series GPUs.
    Fudzilla reports (Via Industry Gamers) that Microsoft put the two companies to work on the new chip in December last year.

The site's 'sources' say a 2012 release is therefore unlikely, pitching 2013 as a more likely year for MS to make its next-gen move, with a possible announcement before the end of the year.

The report also speculates that MS could be ready to start handing out development kits as early as March or April.

Xbox News: IBM developing next Xbox CPU, codenamed Oban - report - ComputerAndVideoGames.com
  27. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon Member

Ratings:
    +349
    Did you pull that from Joystiq Maj?

Either way, 20% is better than nothing. Hell I wont even be swapping my 360 gaming for Wii-U gaming.

In saying that, just because its power is supposedly on par with the Radeon HD 6670 doesnt mean it will suck. Im sure MS will be able to squeeze extra juice out of it, I mean hell look what everyone has done with the current tech.

Even with all their juice, if Nintendo dont open their support of 3rd party they are screwed. If this next Xbox has a Blu Ray drive Im almost certain within 10 years Sony and Nintendo machines will be buried.

The Wii-U hardware and direction is horrendous and I expect the PS4 to go the way of the Vita - Only time will tell I guess. We will all know by E3 - no matter how many comparisons of graphics capabilities we get, well all be wrong because each company will be using modified custom versions.
  28. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    No I got it from CVG. Where is sniper ash, these funny PC terms make no sense to me lol. What is a 7000 series gpu? Is that DX11.1?
  29. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,433
    I'm here :)

I wish people would realise that ATI no longer exists and it's AMD now.

Anyway, the 7xxx series (codenamed Southern Islands) is AMD's latest set of GPUs. They are based on a 28nm fab. process and made by TSMC. Currently only the 7970 (highest single GPU card) has been released with the rest due to be released between now and March. The latest version of DirectX is still 11 with there being no hints of or talk of 11.1.

I'd be very surprised if the chip uses a 32nm process as that's larger than how AMD designed Southern Islands but only time will tell.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,212
    I'm guessing that it will be some kind of hybrid gpu. I'm hoping it means that games can be run 1080p natively and at higher fps.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.