1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 won't find PC ?? Arghhh!!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Forum' started by paddymph, Dec 5, 2007.

1. paddymph

paddymph Member

Ratings:
    +3
    This is doing my head in !! Pls someone help!!

Ok, so:

Windowx XP SP2.
    Media Player 11 installed,
    Libray>Media Sharing>Xbox 360 located and allowed to share.

All ok so far.

Latest Xbox 360 update installed no probs.

Problem is the 360 just won't find the PC?
    WHY?!?!?

All required ports are automatically opened by MP11 when you turn file sharing on so why isn't this working?

No other fire wall on (makes no difference if it's on or off).

I've spent hours online reading and I know loads of people are having the same problem, Windows Media Connect used to work but MP11 has made that redundant now....

:confused:
  2. peepingtom

peepingtom Member

Ratings:
    +55
    do you have to go into console settings and add a computer in the 360 first?????
  3. paddymph

paddymph Member

Ratings:
    +3
    you're supposed to do that after the media player bit and it should just pick it up......
  4. lazymatt

lazymatt Member

Ratings:
    +211
    Try TVersity instead.

I had absolute nightmares with Windows Media, but TVersity worked first time.
  5. peepingtom

peepingtom Member

Ratings:
    +55
    wm11 works really well for me, so it must be something in settings somewhere mate
  6. paddymph

paddymph Member

Ratings:
    +3
    think i may have to, it's got loads of people stumped!

BTW.....360 connected to Router via Ethernet, PC is wireless.
  7. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Do you use torrents?
  8. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,504
    I use Orb but it doesn't work if the computer is wireless while the 360 is wired, both need to be wired to communicate (I can't test wireless because I don't own a 360 wireless adapter).
  9. F Nikk

F Nikk Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I can help:)

I had the same problem as most of you, and through trial and error, and a little self tuition, I managed to enable communication. Here are a few steps to check out.

1) Download Windows Media Player 11

2) Go to Tools >> Options >> Library >> Configure Sharing >> (tick the box) Share my Media

3) Make sure the right services are enabled. Certain services are needed for sharing to work.

To do this, click Start >> Run >> Services.msc (Alternatively, go to Control Panel >> Adminstrative Tools >> Services)

A window will open with a long list of services.

Find HTTP SSL, and make sure it is enabled and started. If it is disabled, Right click it >> Properties >> Startup Type: Automatic

Find SSDP Discovery Service, start, and enable it the same way as the above (right click)

Find Universal Plug and Play Device Host, start it, and enable it.

Finally, find Windows Media Player Sharing Service, and start and enable it.

When you enable these services, your firewall may ask for permission, so grant them access. (They will come up as a process called svchost.exe)

Finally, just as a redundancy measure, in your router, you should enable port forwarding for HTTP SSL, on port 443. (start port: 443, end port 443)

Regards.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. 11818

11818 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem after I changed the name of my "XBOX Video" folder to make it first in the playlist. The following solved my problem and may help with yours.

1. Check that the folder containing your files is shared. EG. C:\\My Pictures/XBOX Video
    2. Check that Media Player is sharing the folder and that all the folder names are the same. (Options/Library tab/Monitor Folders)

As soon as I change the name back to "XBOX Video" all was well with my 360, but without the correct folder names and permissions through WM11 it appears the 360 will not even see the PC.
  11. daveon

daveon Member

Ratings:
    +126
    I have the same issue, I used to use media connect and that worked perfectly, I then used WMP 11 with XP again no problems, I then moved to Vista which worked fine till I started using orb, now I can't get WMP to work, or more to the point I can't get my 360 to see my PC. After some trawling the Internet last night I found this http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/sharing.mspx
    Below is an extract which I think will sort my problem, however, I have not tried this yet and you should always be careful when making changes to your registry. I'll let you know if it worked later today.

Q. I used Windows Media Connect running on Windows XP and then upgraded to Windows Vista. Now media sharing stopped working. What can I do?
    A. If you previously used Windows Media Connect in Windows XP to share music before upgrading to Windows Vista and then you try to share music using Windows Media Player 11 for Windows Vista, media sharing in the Player does not start automatically. If you try to turn on media sharing in Windows Media Player 11, clicking the OK button in the Media Sharing dialog box does not enable media sharing. This issue can occur if the computer has multiple user accounts.

To work around this issue, perform the following two procedures. The first procedure provides the steps to manually remove the Windows registry key where the permissions are not set correctly. The second procedure provides the steps to set up media sharing in Windows Media Player 11 for Windows Vista.

To remove the Windows registry subkey that does not have the permissions set correctly

Log on to Windows using the user account that you used when you upgraded to Windows Vista.

Click Start.

In the Start Search box, type regedit.exe, and then click OK.

In Windows Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key where the Security ID is a string of alphanumeric characters in the navigation tree on the left side:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\HME\<Security ID>

In the registry tree on the left, with the Security ID subkey selected, on the Edit menu, click Delete.

If you do not have permission to delete the selected Security ID subkey, when you try to open the subkey, an Error Opening Key dialog box displays with an “Access is denied” message. You can then select the next Security ID subkey in the registry tree, and then try to delete that Security ID subkey.

Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each Security ID that you have permission to delete.

On the File menu, click Exit.

Click Start, point to the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Log Off.

Log on to Windows using the affected user account (the Security ID subkey or subkeys that you deleted).

Go to the next set of procedures to set up media sharing in Windows Media Player 11 for Windows Vista.

Note

Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on your computer.

To set up media sharing in Windows Media Player 11 for Windows Vista

Start Windows Media Player 11.

In Windows Media Player 11, click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click Media Sharing.

In the Media Sharing dialog box, select the Share my media check box, and then click OK.

In the list below the Share my media to check box, click your networked digital media device, click Allow, and then click OK.

It might take a little bit of time for your digital media device to appear in the list of devices.
  12. pilgrimkenna

pilgrimkenna Member

Ratings:
    +62
    would appreciate it if you could let me know how the registry tweak goes, i am in a similar situation

My Vista came pre loaded and i think that i only have the one account on it as when i switch users there is only one account with my name, where does this leave me?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5968329#post5968329

13. daveon

daveon Member

Ratings:
    +126
    I've just tried the registry change and it appears to have made no difference my 360 still can not see my PC for some reason.

Will keep working on it and let you know when I fix it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. pilgrimkenna

pilgrimkenna Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Im going to check to see if my norton 360 is the problem later, it is getting frustrating now as i see no reason for it not to work, the pc sees the box fine, sharing is enabled.

i have also been reading about media connect 2, does anyone know where this can be downloaded

thanks

Hi mate, can you have a look at my thread and see if there is anything i have overlooked.

i have previously been able to connect before the xbox update and when my operating system was xp.

i did the update of the xbox yesterday and enabled media sharing, my xbox is allowed and the xbox is connecting to the router, yet my xbox cannot see my pc.
  15. Fe_man2000

Fe_man2000 Member

Ratings:
    +179
    I may have a fix for this as I had a lot of problems getting the xbox to see my PC - I restrated services and turned off all firewalls and security software - no effect (but worth doing at the start)

Turns out that there is some issue with the DRM side of window media player 11 - now I work in IT but I dont completly understand what happened and it took me ages to find this out and seconds to fix it.

One suggested solution was to find and delete the DRM folder from your PC as it may contain some corrupted data - It can be found in a couple of places, mine was in c:\documents and settings\all users - I did this but there was no effect for me . I checked my event logs in XP and there was a DRM error message which may have been cause by the file being deleted - If I stopped and restarted the media sharing service a new error would appear so I went searching for information on this error.

I then checked MS website to see what my error event ID was about and found this website

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925705

which has a link to fix it (BELOW)

I clicked on this website fix and volia xbox 360 sees the PC.

http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp

hope this helps and it was driving me crazy.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  16. pilgrimkenna

pilgrimkenna Member

Ratings:
    +62
    IN for a penny, in for a pound

gotta be worth a bash

thanks
  17. paddymph

paddymph Member

Ratings:
    +3
    First off, thanks to everyone for replying :)

Still couldnt get it to work, downloaded TVersity and am very impressed, it worked first time and configured itself, I didn't need to do anything, so cheers for the help on that one too!

Paddy
  18. Leightong

Leightong Member

Ratings:
    +1
  19. blisteringblue

blisteringblue Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Now that is interesting, I was having the same issue xbox is seen by PC and in the sharing list but from xbox I get nothing?

I use the panasonic HD-PLC powerline product which are great but I can find nothing about IGMPv3 on them?

However in the meantime as I actually have a linkstation pro NAS box I've taken the plunge and hacked the firmware and loaded the twonky media server as this looks a much cleaner method for me as all my streaming files are on the linkstation (I use it with simple SMB shares to my old XBOX XBMC)

Hopefully if all this works I can get the old brick of an Xbox (faithful servant that it is) out of my AV Rack !! That will please Mrs Blue :smashin:
  20. Fe_man2000

Fe_man2000 Member

Ratings:
    +179
    Just to add to this - I use the Devolo homeplugs - the AV 200mb ones and they give me no problems - I was streaming to the xbox from windows 2005 Media addtion on them and know using mediaplayer 11.
  21. daveon

daveon Member

Ratings:
    +126
    I thought it might be a good idea to share some of the things I have tried over the last couple of days, not because I have found a solution but to try and save others replicating what I have already tried.

Last night I tried setting Windows Firewall rules to allow unauthorised access to my vista PC from my xbox 360's IP address via group policies. Result = no change.

I tried installing the Zune software and adding openning all the required ports to share the Zune library. Result = no change, Zune can see the 360, 360 can not see Vista PC.

I tried altering the registry as per this link http://forums.windowsvistamagazine.com/forums/thread/4234.aspx. Result = no change

I delved into the group policies some more and found a couple of settings to do with upnp which I enabled but again no change, I don't remember what these settings where but basically I don't think group policy is going to help.

So as it stands I can share from an XP PC using orb and an XP sp2 laptop using Media Player, Vista can see my 360 but my 360 can not see my 360 even when they are connected via an ethernet cable.

I also set the Windows Media Player Network Share and Zune Network Share to login as admin rather than network so they had additonal privilages. result = no change
  22. daveon

daveon Member

Ratings:
    +126
    A quick question for people...

If you have renamed your network does sharing work on Vista for you?

I have come across a post on Vista magazine's forum where someone had the same problem, then rebuilt there network connection and left the network name as default and this seemed to fix the problem for them.
  23. daveon

daveon Member

Ratings:
    +126
    I have now raised a support ticket with MS on this issue, I will let you know what they come back with.

By the way can anyone take five minutes to check out an awswer for the obove question it may just help a lot of people out?

Thanks

Dave
  24. richieh_ackett

richieh_ackett Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a similar issue with mine, I tried all the above.

The only thing that works for me is to goto Admin tools-> Services goto Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service right click and select restart.

For some reason there is an issue that appears in the event viewer when the PC starts that isnt enough to stop the service loading, but will stop the network sharing working.

The restart, restarts the service with no errors in the Event Viewer at all.... Wierd.... Priviledges.... A cunning ploy to get you to move to MCE or Vista
  25. daveon

daveon Member

Ratings:
    +126
    Success at last...

Check Event viewer and look for errors on the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

If you get the event error 14344 then you need to upgrade your DRM component.

You can upgrade the DRM component here:

Though you must be using IE as your browser.

If you encounter DRM issues, cannot upgrade/update your DRM component, or seen the grayed out 'Upgrade' buttons on the Security component upgrade page, it may be worth the while to check below link:

DRM Reset Utility - to download: http://www.netflix.com/pages/previews/resetdrm.exe

I had to run this the upgrade button was grayed out for me.

Remember to restart your computer after running the utility.

Once you have restarted your PC go back to the DRM component upgrade site:

You should now be able to run the upgrade. Once the upgrade is complete check your 360 and your PC should be there.

Run one of your videos and follow the prompts for installing the optional upgrade on your 360.

Any chance one of our lovely modes could add this to the FAQs to save threads on this building up?
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  26. Fe_man2000

Fe_man2000 Member

Ratings:
    +179
    nice one - I posted that link earlier in the thread but I didnt have a the problem with it being the button being greyed out so I didnt add the fix for that.

Not sure if deleting the DRM folder from the C: drive made the microsoft webpage work without downloading the resetdm.exe or not but thats what I did.
  27. daveon

daveon Member

Ratings:
    +126
    I know mate, it was your post that put me on the right track to sorting my problem out.

Thanks
  28. blisteringblue

blisteringblue Member

Ratings:
    +78
    LOL, I was at this point with WMP11 and that button was greyed out and my PC could see the xbox but the xbox would not see the PC. Gave up in the end.

In the end I ditched WMP11 and setup Twonky Media Server on my Linkstation NAS and it works a treat. Just means I can stream and not have to have the PC on.
  29. hamah

hamah Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You Sir are a God-send. Thank you. You have no idea the frustration and hours wasted on this issue.

A little back ground on my issue.

I use both a PS3 and a 360 to serve up media from a Vista Ultimate PC and WMP 11. Everything was working fine for weeks since both MS and Sony had released firmware updates that allowed me to stream XviD/DivX avi files without having to transcode. Prior to that I had been using TVersity which had always worked well but was flakey on the 360 (I would always have to restart TVersity service so that the 360 could "find" the server).

Anyway 2 days ago I updated the CPU in my machine from a Core 2 Duo to a Core 2 Quad....thats it.....nothing else. No software or updates of any kind. When I rebooted my machine I had no Internet connectivity and a quick exam showed that my Ethernet port had been reconfigured with a private IP address. I then found I could not see my printers etc and I discovered that Network and File sharing had been turned off. After turning this back on I found that neither my 360 or my PS3 could see WMP 11 but both could see TVersity. I tried everything with WMP 11 that you can imagine. Suggestions from 360 and PS3 forums etc. etc. etc. Finally I started to see mention of "corrupted DRM" and removing contents of the DRM folder. It sounded promising in a vague way (corrupted DRM and changed sharing/network configs sort of went hand-in-hand IMO). I did try the link to the DRM upgrade but it was greyed out. I then came across this link and followed it through.

My 360 now works and I'm sure that when I get a chance to check out the PS3 in the bedroom tomorrow it will work as well.

It's very late and I can now hit the sack knowing this issue is resolved. I have rarely come across a situation this deep and complex that I have been able to resolve without a complete format/OS install (and I'm a very technical person). Thanks again for saving me countless more hours of troubleshooting and software installation/patches/updates and configurations!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,776
    Do you have any details on your NAS ?