Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 - Wireless doesnt work!

Discussion in 'Xbox Live Forum' started by koopa, Dec 12, 2005.

1. koopa

koopa Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have been trying to connect my Xbox 360 to my 3com wireless router for the past week now with no joy and its seriously doing my head in!

I have the official ms wireless adapter. I have plugged this in to the back of the 360 and can see the solid red light on the adapter. I can see my wireless 3com network on the screen OK, but it won’t let me connect to it. I am using WPA-PSK encryption and when prompted by the 360 I enter my pass phrase. The 360 then requests I test the connection but it fails in connecting. I have also tried disabling all encryption on my router, disabling MAC filtering and turning off the firewall but still it won’t connect! I have even tried bringing the wireless router into my living room next to the 360, just in case of a bad signal but again no joy.

The router I am using is the 3com officeconnect 3CRWE754G72-A, using latest firmware 1.31

I am beginning the suspect this is a driver issue with the Xbox 360. I had the same problem connecting my PSP to this router but this was fixed with a firmware update.

Has anyone had any joy in connecting the 360 to a 3com officeconnect router?

Cheers & thank you for your time.
  2. JayList

JayList Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried changing things like the MTU size? Sometimes reducing this can help. Do you use AOHell?

J
  3. ukkev2000

ukkev2000 Member

Ratings:
    +54
    There are two stages to getting from notworking to networking.

A) Establish link from 360 to router and LAN (i.e. you can see your PC)
    B) Then out onto the WAN (i.e. XBOX Live)

I guess you are failing at step A) and I guess you can see your home wireless SSID? Its hard to suggest what to try, as you have tried everything!

All I can say is that my only problem was making sure I had the right security code for the WPA, then it just linked up nicely. I assume you have no other wireless device to check this with?

Failing that, try wired. The Wireless unit will not even be checked if the 360 finds a Wired connection.
  4. koopa

koopa Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I don’t think that the MTU size will help at this stage as I can’t establish the link from the 360 to the router, as suggested in ukkev2000's post. Sorry for not making this clearer in my original post.

I can indeed see my SSID, as well as my neighbours! It’s just that when I select my SSID it won’t connect, just fails. No error message given it the test report other than failed. My ISP is currently Nildram, wouldn't touch AOL with a bargepole! I currently have a laptop & a PSP which connect fine through WPA-PSK to my router.

If anyone else has had this issue with a 3com router please let me know. Even if you can connect the 360 to your 3com router please let me know, as that would suggest some sort of hardware issue with my 360/adapter.

Or maybe im just missing something so obvious it staring me in the face? Argh!
  5. donkeymagic

donkeymagic Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I use this 3com router and havent had any of these problems. I've been using it for about a year (no firmware upgrade) with only the occasional disconnect which is usually down to interference.

Also I am not using the MS WIFI adaptor but a wireless ethernet bridge and I dont use encryption. As I use MAC address filtering instead.

Hope this allows you to narrow your problem down a bit.
  6. matt_p

matt_p Member

Ratings:
    +41
    You using DHCP on your router? If you are, try disabling it and specify a manual ip address.
  7. koopa

koopa Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Donkeymagic, thanks for the heads up. Has anybody else tried connecting to the 3com officeconnect 3CRWE754G72-A, but with the MS wireless adapter?

matt p, I have tried disabling DHCP on the router as you suggested. Got my laptop, pc & PSP working using static IP addresses. Everything worked except the damn 360!! Still won't connect.

I have even tried plugging my 360 directly into the mains (as opposed to a power strip) just in case the adapter wasn't quite getting enough juice from the 360. Had read else where that this might cause some problems. Didn't work. I think im going mad!

Any more suggestions would be welcome!
  8. ukkev2000

ukkev2000 Member

Ratings:
    +54
    errr.... I know this may sound dumb and I'm sure you've tried this...

You have entered the rightkeyfor the WPA security? Tried setting a simple password into the router and d/checking by specifying this simple one into the 360?

What does the 360 report when it fails?

Finally - it might be the wireless adaptor?
  9. koopa

koopa Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried changing the pass phrase for the WPA security on the router & 360. Still no connection. When I attempt to connect the 360 to the router no error message is given. Simply states "not connected" in the test area.
  10. CHokKA

CHokKA Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi koopa

I'm having the exact same troubles as you, but I'm using a USR router with a twist :D

Many moons ago when I bought my wireless router (it doesn't have an ADSL modem built-in btw) the USR firmware was extremely unstable. Some clever people figured out that the chipset used to drive the router was identical to that of the Dlink 624+ wireless router, and that you could load this firmware onto the USR router using a special method. I did this and the router has been stable ever since doing that.

However, it won't allow my Xbox to connect to it. I've got 3 PC's in my house, and two PSP's. They all connect to the router without any trouble. All the PC's have different wireless network cards (a 3com, a USR and a Belkin) and the PSP's are only 802.11b rated (so the wireless router has to be in mixed-mode for them to connect). The Xbox 360 wireless adapter is rated for 802.11a, b and g so my router supports all the modes but 802.11a. I don't know whether this is the factor that's causing me issues, but it shouldn't be because in theory the adapter should find a compatible mode and use that. My Xbox can see the SSID, and knows that there's WEP enabled (64-bit) but no matter how many times I enter, check, and recheck the key, it just won't connect to the router. It fails every time. I've tried the adapter in a different slot on the 360, nothing. I've plugged the adapter in, shutdown the console, turned it back on, and still nothing. No matter what I do, it simply will not connect to the router.

I don't have any filtering on the router at all (MAC, IP, etc), the firewall is disabled, and as mentioned I'm using WEP 64-bit (I've also disabled WEP entirely and tried to connect using no security at all, and it didn't work). I've tried setting up the wireless connection on the Xbox manually, by entering the SSID manually and selecting WEP 64-bit, entering the key, and it still fails.

Do you know if your router supports the 802.11a standard? Also, does your 3com have that new-fangled 125 Mbps upgrade that only Dlink, USR and 3com seem to offer? That might be another factor in why the adapter won't connect. My Belkin card in my server at home will only ever connect at 54 Mbps, despite it being rated at 108 Mbps and the driver being the correct updated driver.

These are the only things that I can think of that can be causing these problems. It seems rather strange that 3 PC's and two PSP's can connect to the router, but the Xbox can't. I just get the red light and it never changes, no matter where I plug-in the adapter.

I have managed to configure a wireless to wired bridge on my PC at home using the onboard network card, and the Xbox 360 connects to Live! perfectly, so I will most likely be taking the wireless adapter back to where I bought it from this weekend.
  11. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002 Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Works ok on the Apple wireless routers (128bit WEP - 15 charcters), don't think it helps, but rest assured the MS wireless adapter seems to work fine.
  12. zedzed

zedzed Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Have you tried using the wireless adapter connected to your PC instead of your xbox? This might help narrow down if it's the adapter or the xbox that's the problem.

ZedZed
  13. rdt123

rdt123 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    With me i'd just forgotten that there is a connect button on router i needed to press then the act button lit up and after putting the wep key in again it worked
  14. RuddyRoad

RuddyRoad Active Member

Ratings:
    +356
    For what its worth, I just got my Xbox today, snapped on the Wireless adapter and it found my Netgear wireless router. Gave it the password and its connected without a problem....
  15. Stis

Stis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo koopa, my name is Stis from Italy...

I have the same router and i Have the same problem...

Xbox see the adapter but appear the message not connect....

I give my xbox adapter to my friends with cisco router's and at the first turn on the xbox was live:confused: :confused:

I call the Microsoft support, but :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

I wrote a mail to 3com but don't have an answer

Have you resolve the problem???

Please save me...:lease:

:hiya:
  16. Jordans Norks

Jordans Norks New Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Have you got MAC address filtering on, if so turn it off!
  17. runam0k

runam0k Active Member

Ratings:
    +221
    I've had a 3Com router up and running without any problems. The only thing I can suggest is disabling MAC filtering and changing you pass phrase. You say the 360 can see the network you want to connect to (presumably you gave your network a unique SSID), so there's no problem there. The only other thing I can think of is the router won't give the 360 an IP address. Have you changed any of the default DHCP settings?
  18. Stis

Stis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've always disable the MAC filtering

Excuse me runam0k, you have connected the xbox360 to the router via wireless mode or wired mode, because if i connect the xbox via wired, that's all ok.The problem appear if i want to use a wireless connection.

I try to change the parameter in manual mode, but don't work...

I don't use the any Security Mode...Is this the problem???
  19. c.ritteri

c.ritteri Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody. I have the same IDENTICAL problem with my USR 5450 Access Point ! There's NO WAY to make it works with MS Wireless Adapter. I think it's incredible such incompatibility between MS adapters and USR AP's !!! I hope USR will release firmware upgrades to fix any problem... If anyone has a solution, please post it.....
  20. JohnSR

JohnSR Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I thought I would you guys know, that I am not using the MS Wireless adaptor. I am using the USR 5430 Wireless bridge/gaming adaptor which communicates directly with a USR 8054 Router/Access point.

Using the latest firmware, and it works absolutely perfectly. I have read in the past, to troubleshoot your wireless connection to set everything to basic levels.

No security, so disabling temporarily wpa-osk/wep as this can reduce the broadcast signal. Also stopping SSID broadcasts for the same reason.

This may be specific to USR/3COM products, but from a base level, you can start troubleshooting and adding to security where necessary

At the moment, I am using MAC filtering, with no wpa/wep encryption and no SSID broadcast. Even though I don't have a 360 today as it is being swapped out for a working one!

I will answer any questions if I can be of use.
  21. Drunken Master

Drunken Master Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I've got the same problem to. I've tried both wireless (get a strong signal) and hard wired. I think there is an issue with with MTU I tried changing that and that never worked either. 3com are less than useless for customer assistance as well.

Sorely tempted to bin this modem!
  22. Drunken Master

Drunken Master Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Hmmm, very strange. It's working now! I did a restore factory settings on the router and just rebooted and now it's fine? Very strange....Off to LIVE!
  23. NikB

NikB Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I've just got a wireless adaptor too and I can't get it to work either.

I am trying to link it to a Netgear WG602 wireless access point which in turn is connected to a Netgear DG834. I have a laptop and Nintendo DS connected wirelessly with WEP encryption and no issues.

The 360 adaptor can see the ssid for my wireless network but I can't seem to get an ip address. I have tried assigning the ip by dhcp and manually but neither works. What the hell is going on?
  24. bishman

bishman Active Member

Ratings:
    +189
    Have you tried connecting to your neighbours? If it's encrypted perhaps you could ask them to change to a temp encryption so you can test it? It would at least tell you if it's your router that's the problem or the adaptor.
  25. runam0k

runam0k Active Member

Ratings:
    +221
    MAC filtering? Disable it (or add your 360 MAC address to the list) if you haven't already.
  26. kidloco46

kidloco46 Member

Ratings:
    +31
    bit worried by this thread, i am setting up a mates pc for wireless networking this weekend. I have ordered him a 3com router, he also has a XBOX360 with wi-fi network adapter.

it cant be a proplem that 3com stuff just doesnt work with the microsoft unit as some poeple have got it working fine, havent they ?
  27. runam0k

runam0k Active Member

Ratings:
    +221
    I've used one in the past and it worked fine.
  28. NikB

NikB Member

Ratings:
    +11
    The mac filtering is already disabled. I've also tried using it but neither way works. Will try it again tonight.
  29. NikB

NikB Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Managed to get it working now. It was something to do with the WEP key.
  30. vaporand

vaporand Member

Ratings:
    +20
    i have speedtouch 580 and cannot get xbox liveto onnect through wireless. i have used the ethernet port and that works fine, just the wireless adapter ight is red. it says cannot connect to wireless network. i have wpa on and have put the correct code in the passphrase box... strange. ms need to help others with this