Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Storage device cannot be found

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Hardware Forum' started by Mr Zippy, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Mr Zippy

Mr Zippy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Apologies if this is a FAQ, cant find it.

My son's Xbox is not working. All his proflie's and game saves have disappeared. He has tried to get his gamertag back, but it tells him there is no storage device. I have tried troubleshooting suggestions in the manual - basically remove hard drive/reattach turn it on and off again! Is this a hard drive failure? I dont want to buy him a new H/D if it is something else. Any ideas?

Thanks
  2. Pete Jolley

Pete Jolley Member

Ratings:
    +1
    hi had the same problem last week with a brand new 360 you need to go to memory setting and format the hard drive. It will ask you for the serial number which can be found on the back of you machine, unfortunatly it will wipe of everything music ect but the hard drive will be found again. Then you just need to recover your game tag and everthing should be ok

Hope this helps

RIP PIONEER
  3. Mr Zippy

Mr Zippy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Yes, my son has since discovered that, but he is reluctant to lose all his saves, Xbox live stuff etc. But looks like he has not got any choice.
  4. xox Godders xox

xox Godders xox Active Member

Ratings:
    +298
    He'll be able to re-download any marketplace content for free once he's recovered his gamertag.

Nothing that can be done about the game saves though I'm afraid. :(
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Mr Zippy

Mr Zippy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alas the reformatting did not work:( It just keeps coming up with 'unformatted' - tried a number of times to reformat with serial number as suggested.

Have checked connections. Seems like a system failure - odd though working perfectly fine up until yesterday.
  6. DragonOfSilver

DragonOfSilver Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Does sound rather like the hard drive has failed I'm afraid, it's a mechanical part after all.
  7. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Check the pin contacts on both the drive and the xbox make sure there not bent in any way, if there all ok its most likely the drive, only takes a bad partition (3 in total) and it will just not read anything from the drive.

Stu
  8. MetalMonkee

MetalMonkee Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Out of curiousity to the people in the know.

Wouldn't buying a 120GB HDD with the transfer cable work? He could transfer all of the data from the busted one to the new HDD and away she goes?

If not then you have one of two options (both might help too).

1. Call Microsoft and complain.
    2. Call Microsoft and complain, whilst buying a new HDD, making them reimburse you and compensate you with either MS Points or XBL Membership.

The second option worked for me with Apple.

Had a 60GB Photo (when it first came out), it broke 3 times in a row and so they sent me a brand new 80GB Video (when it first came out). Recently had a massive flood in our loft and my iPod got destroyed so the insurance company sent me a 160GB iPod Classic.
  9. Uwood

Uwood Member

Ratings:
    +0

Dragon:

I have this 20gb hard drive for the xbox 360 and after attaching it and then going to system settings, memory, it says no storage device found. Do i need to reformat or what? I have not been able to save games or anything since trying this.
  10. astroturf

astroturf Active Member

Ratings:
    +845
    Sounds like a fubar'd drive or bad contacts to me. As said, check the contacts and clean them first.
  11. bounty176

bounty176 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi same problem as well i tryed to do that but after the formatting it said the it was unformatted, i did this 2 times and yet still nothing and i dont know what to do i need some help with this cause i cant format it to recover my gamertag and now i think i have to by aother storage device cause my one will never reply anymore please help me
  12. bounty176

bounty176 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    trust me, your not the only one, ive done it 2 times and wont work, we might have to by a new hdd, or call about a compaint to microsoft, your most likely to get something in return if you call microsoft, my bro got red rings of dead twice and made a complaint he got a new game and they fixed no charge
  13. swirler

swirler Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I finally don't feel so alone in this problem. If someone could send me the repair info Ineed ASAP I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
  14. stinger01

stinger01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im having this problem too brough a 120gb hdd and tried to transfer data from my old 20gb hdd and now the 120gb hdd tells me i only have 16gb, can any one please help me with this i even went to a shop today to buy a new 120gb hdd and the same thing has happened to that one too, so now i have 2 buggered 120gb hdd's
  15. stinger01

stinger01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    bump
  16. adiaz095

adiaz095 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. The problem i have is that my xbox cant find his internal storage device and it does not load the dashboard. I manage to fix it by using a usb but every time i turn it off and want to play later it happens again and its frustrating to wait for it to tell me i must restart it and all. i need help urgently.
  17. Member 597513

Member 597513 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I sell the 20gb 60gb and 120gb on ebay and have found that the 120gb is the one i get all the complaints about regarding the issues you all seem to be having,We sell hundreds and fully test all the drives we sell and unless the 106 gb of storage is detected on the 120gb at test they go in the bin to be stripped down.
    The other 14gb of space used is for the hidden files on the hd enabling the xbox to recognise it as an xbox hd and not a blank lap top drive which is exactly whats in the plastic caddy.The problem is when the hidden files are corrupted or the connection inside the caddy becomes detached in transit we have found.
    Of course we always exchange the drive without quibble as we retain the serial number and ensure the hologram is intact but i know it doesn't help the frustrated gamer when it takes time to do the exchange.
    What i am getting at is it's not our fault if the item doesn't work when it gets to the customer but we do what we can to rectify the situation and accept there is an inherant problem with the 120gb hard drive and it's also usualy the older ones as we sell used drives not new ones.
    We have also found that most of the problems are the hitachi or toshiba drives microsoft use when we open the cases?
    If you buy one and you have issues as here let the seller know first and see what they will do to sort out the problem as it will hopefully be resolved amicably to your satisfaction.
  18. bstan54

bstan54 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 250gb xbox slim and mine red ringed yesterday, turned back on today and says "create profile" or "download profile" i try to download and says "no storage device found" i tried finding it in setting but could not locate it. Any solutions?