Xbox 360 Output Options - 2 at once?

brucett

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew whether the 360 could output via 2 cables at once. For example:

HDMI - hooked up to the TV
VGA - going straight into the projector, with the Digital Audio going into the Amp

Would this work with either the TV or Projector on, not sure it would work with them both on.

cheers!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Why would u want to do this?

The only way i can see it working if u went hdmi > some sort of splitter > 2x hdmi out.

When you make a display change on your 360 i.e hdmi to vga the console resets itself

Don't think you can on the elite model at least (pretty sure the others are the same) the cable for the component leads that comes with the console is too big so you can't fit a HDMI lead in at the same time, I wanted to do something similar but just endedup leaving the cables round the back and swapping when needed.
A HDMI to 2x splitter should work but the one I picked up would only output when both screens where on but that was a passive one an active splitter work correctly I imagine.

You can do it in SD using the component cable ive done it before to capture some footage, only downside is the poor quality.

If you’ve got one of the component/composite dual video cables - the one that comes in the box with most 360s - you can have your console display its gamey goodness on two TVs simultaneously. The trick is to flick the cable’s switch to Standard Definition but hook up the composite (yellow) cable to one screen and the component (the red, green, blue) cables to another. It won’t be high-def, but it could be handy if you’re staging a mini LAN party and want to set up a display for bored spectators to point their eyes at.

Don't think you can on the elite model at least (pretty sure the others are the same) the cable for the component leads that comes with the console is too big so you can't fit a HDMI lead in at the same time
You can fit them in at the same time, u have to break the plastic from around the AV lead (not hdmi one) and they both fit in. I do it so i connect my 360 to my amp for sound and hdmi for picture. But think the xbox wouldnt like and would prob keep resetting itself if tried to send video via both analogue and digital

Last edited:
A video splitter is the simplest soloution. There are various boxes available that will allow you to output HDMI/Component from an HDMI/Component input. Make sure that you select one that has a mirrored (sometimes described as cloned) output.
Another alternative would be to pick up an AV receiver with video switching. (This is presuming you want to easily switch between your TV and projector as apposed to view both at the same time)

If you use a splitter it will affect the video quality.

If you use a splitter it will affect the video quality.

Passive component splitters might. But a working HDMI splitter won't and a decent active component splitter won't either.

cheers for the replies, think ill just be swapping them in and out for the time being. One quick question though, do the HDMI splitters work both ways? ie. 2 sources to one output, and one source to 2 outputs?

cheers

cheers for the replies, think ill just be swapping them in and out for the time being. One quick question though, do the HDMI splitters work both ways? ie. 2 sources to one output, and one source to 2 outputs?

cheers

Totally depends on what you buy. As with many things in life you get what you pay for. There are some very reliable bits of kit that can be had from £100. Personally I added my projector to my living room setup after I had initially designed and fitted everything so ceiling mounting and burying cables would have been a nightmare. I made a loom of the following: HDMI, Component, composite, VGA, Headphone cable, IEC power lead and a USB cable. I connect these upto my video sources using barrels (gender changers) everytime I want to use my PJ. Its not exactly slick but for the sake of not burying cables into walls etc this will suit me fine. Also means we can set it up in the garden for XBOX sessions when the summer comes round. I got all leads and cable socking from CPC :thumbsup:

Passive component splitters might. But a working HDMI splitter won't and a decent active component splitter won't either.

Wont it, thats news to me. If you are splitting a video signal two ways at once, are you saying that it wouldn't have any affect? I'm pretty sure it's not the best way to do it.

Last edited:
Wont it, thats news to me. If you are splitting a video signal two ways at once, are you saying that it wouldn't have any affect? I'm pretty sure it's not the best way to do it.

As long as the unit is powered it should be able mirror inputs to mulitple outputs no problem.

HDMI splitters can be had for £25 that do exactly what you need with no quality loss.
I'm running some now splitting my SkyHD, 360, PS3 and Istar HD between TV and PJ.

HDMI is digital so any decent splitter should be making an exact copy (or mirror as hillskill said) to send to the other output. Same for active component splitters.

Passive splitters, where basically you just allow the signal to travel to two places instead of one could definitely affect picture quality, but I did mention that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom