Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 - no picture, no sound, no red lights either

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Hardware Forum' started by Minesh, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Minesh

Minesh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My xbox seems to be playing up, when I turn it on all starts up fine, no red lights are shown but the xbox doesn't seem to be outputting any signal to my TV. I have tried it on a Samsung LCD in the bedroom and a Pioneer plasma in the living room.

Anyone have an idea what could be wrong with it? I'm out of warranty too :(
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. ocelot20

ocelot20 Member

Ratings:
    +107
    How is it connected to your tv? HDMI,Component,VGA?
  3. Minesh

Minesh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, forgot to mention its connected via component and its an xbox 360 premium.
  4. ocelot20

ocelot20 Member

Ratings:
    +107
    It could be a few problems. Something like this happend to my 2nd xbox found out the component cable was faulty. But my m8 also had a problem like this and it turned out to be his xbox 360 graphics card. Also it could be your TV have you got any friends that could lend you a component or VGA cable to try and if they work then its your cable thats faulty.

If it dose not work then it could be your TV or 360 try the 360 on another tv if you can and see if it works on there. Or have you got anything els that uses components like a Wii,PS3 or dvd player you could try on your tv?
  5. Morphies

Morphies Member

Ratings:
    +92
    To reset the display settings of the Xbox 360 console to the default settings, follow these steps:
    1.Remove any discs from the disc tray.
    2.Turn the console off.
    3.Turn the console on.

Note If you are using an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, turn the console on by using the Xbox Guide button on the controller.

Note Make sure that you use the player 1 controller when you do this. The player 1 controller is the controller where the upper-left quadrant light is on.

4.As the console starts, press and hold the Y button, and then pull the right trigger at the same time. This causes the Xbox Dashboard to reset the display settings to the default settings and then automatically restarts the console. So it's OK when the Xbox 360 console restarts.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  6. Minesh

Minesh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think its the TV, the Wii works fine. Have also tried using the scart connection and this shows no image either.

Have tried the xbox with the Plasma in the living room but experiencing same symptoms.
  7. Minesh

Minesh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip, just tired it out, unfortunately its still not showing a picture. Think its cooked! :(
  8. Morphies

Morphies Member

Ratings:
    +92

Hmm, Sounds odd thats for sure. Anything in perticular happen / did you change anything when this first happened?
  9. Minesh

Minesh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing out of the ordinary, just playing the usual Forza (pretty much the only game I play), had been playing for about 15 -20 mins when it froze up, went to reset the console and there was no picture, been like that since.
  10. furkinace

furkinace Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've just had the exact same problem today. I was happily playing Forza when the picture went 'trippy' on me, flourescent colours everywhere, then it froze. I turned it off and back on again and this time I had no picture or sound.

Since this happened I've tried it on another television and I've tried HDMI, VGA, component and SCART and all have proved fruitless.

I also have no red lights on the front of my xbox. Mine is within warranty though so just gonna send it back to Microsoft.
  11. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

Ratings:
    +2
    That is EXACTLY what happened to mine too last week! Was playing Force Unleashed, got the trippy fluorescent colours, turned it off, came back on with no picture or sound. Fortunately I had 2 days left on the warranty! So its off in Frankfurt being repaired/replaced
    Joe
  12. nash66

nash66 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Same happened to me tryed everything in the end I borrowed a Hard drive off a mate and swapped it over restarted the xbox and bingo it worked.
    I then replaced m hard drive and it is still running today.
    hope this helps
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Dave Beer

Dave Beer Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I've joined the club too.

Took it back to PC World who tried to tell me I had to send it back to Microsoft as I'd had it over 6 months. I told them I had a contract with them as the retailer and that they were responsible for it. They then agreed to change it but as they only had 60GB models they claimed they could n't send the 20GB model back with the 60GB hard drive. Had to return the hard drive as well so have lost all my saves but have ended up with a 60GB drive.

I'm now on my 4th Xbox and have yet the have the RROD!

Dave
  14. goocanfly

goocanfly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The same thing happened to me. I talked to my friend, and it sounded like the red ring of death without the red ring. So... I did the Towel Trick. AND now... I have a working Xbox.... til the Red Ring of Death shows up.

Towel Trick

Step 1.

Find 3 Towels.

Step 2.
    Disconnect all cables from the Xbox, except for the power cable. Also remove the Harddrive.

Step 3.
    Wrap the towels around your Xbox, blocking the vents. The goal of this trick is to overheat your xbox, and that ends up making it work for some reason or another. So... make sure its wrapped well.

Step 4.
    I hope your xbox is still on... because the xbox needs to be running. Run it for about 20 minutes - The xbox will automatically shut off once it gets overheated.

Step 5.
    Remove towels, let the xbox cool down around 15, 20 minutes, untill its not hot anymore.

Step 6.
    Connect all other cables to your xbox and tv.

Step 7.
    Turn it on, and be amazed by a fully functioning xbox 360.

(I don't know how long this will work for, but It does work... I just plan on doing it until the red ring of death actually shows up..... Its been working for a day and a half now... continuously running.)
  15. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Expext in the next week maybe month for it to go back to the same as it did before, towel trick = :thumbsdow unless your forcing it to red ring while its in warranty, thats its only use, you cant fix an xbox perminantly with a towel.

This is what is running up to an error 74 1 red light, its part of the (h)ana chip and surrounding components loosing its solder contact, if its out of warranty open it up, and connect power to the system then run a hairdryer over the av port circuit board area, this is what I have found is the best way to pinpoint exactly what area is at fault.
    It may not work until you switch it on and off but i find its best to start using the hairdryer on its hottest setting just as you switch on.
    Once you find the area you need to isolate with 3 layers of foil and carefully heatgun till the solder starts to turn colour, do it in 10 second bursts, any longer you will heat through the board and the little resistors will drop off the bottom.

if its still not displaying it will be the (h)ana chip needing heat gunning, best way to find out is again hairdryer with the fan shroud off and the console off, concentrate on the chip for at least a minute, then switch on and see if you get picture, if you do, you know this is your cause.
    you then need to isolate that area with 3 layers of tin foil the first layer should be taped down.
    only do this if you are out of waranty, you can send it back to microsoft for a £60 charge they should fix it, not sure what warranty you get after though.

Hope that helps

Stu
  16. Nick Pavey

Nick Pavey Member

Ratings:
    +155
  17. Kadaj1019

Kadaj1019 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much,i joined just so i could thank you properly.

-Jake
  18. CptCaveman

CptCaveman Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I got similar problem, but I have sound and no picture.

Tried removing HD = still the same no picture :mad:
    Tried pressing "Y" and trigger = still same no picture :mad:
    Tried replacement new cables = still not working :mad:

Not sure what else to do other buy a new one.
  19. kr1s77

kr1s77 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    you need to do the x-clamp fix. if its less than 3 yrs old send it back to ms
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Nick Pavey

Nick Pavey Member

Ratings:
    +155
    You need to reflow the solder, the x-clamp 'fix' is a myth, and it will go on you again.
  21. Nick Pavey

Nick Pavey Member

Ratings:
    +155

No probs mate, glad to help. :)
  22. extravexy

extravexy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all! my husbands x box 360 broke last night colours went funky then no sound or picture , i read all these post about the towel trick and i can see how that would work as the heat would melt and resolder the dry/bad joint, however this over heats the xbox and can kill it completely! i decided to give it a go myself and found out it is the hdmi socket at the back of the console is sloppy after a bit of solder tis fine! im quite proud of my little self hehehe, i hope this helps you all!
    VIC X
  23. chrisovpem

chrisovpem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my xbox i bought from game i had it two weeks it got the RROD i took it back and got a new one when i put it in to VGA theres sound but no picture and when its in that ybpbr whatever is called it flickers normal for 5 mins and then its black screen for 5 secs whitch is really anoyying please help me
  24. tiarnanmcc

tiarnanmcc Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I need clarification on this. When playing mw2 30mins ago the colour of the sky messed up slightly but i wasn't too sure as i didn't exactly stare at the sky in previous rounds.

Anyway, got back to the lobby and the background is seriously messed up. I switch off my xbox360, leave it 5mins and then try it and viola no picture!

To me this seems like a certain gpu failure which would constitute as a hardware failure which is what the E74 covers but i don't have a clue.
  25. twist

twist Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,499
    yup, its gpu, no rrod though so i think MS will charge for the fix. :thumbsdow:thumbsdow
  26. jarri

jarri Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What can I say 'Thanks' this really does work. Fixed mine in seconds.
  27. jj99100

jj99100 Member

Ratings:
    +0

yes this does work instantly :smashin:, i am glad i never tried the towel trick:nono:, my xbox is up and running again, after u do this if the picture isn't great switch from hd to tv on the lead, thankyou so much to morphies for posting this idea:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  28. jj99100

jj99100 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin::smashin::smashin: this is the one, works great:thumbsup::thumbsup: thankyou very very much:thumbsup::thumbsup:
  29. tophet

tophet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My xbox is out of warranty. i turned it on about a month ago, it ran for a few minute then froze. Now, it will run for about a minute just fine, then it will freeze. Controller stays on, xbox stays on, but no activity. i get no sound, but i get a frozen image on my screen. Any ideas?
  30. Roy064

Roy064 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    sounds like signs of RROD, mine did this alot just before it got it, could try and fix it yourself using various methods, penny fix, replacing thermal paste and removing clamps.