Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox 360 Belkin Wireless adaptor

Discussion in 'Xbox Live Forum' started by BOBMCCAUSLAND, Aug 24, 2009.

1. BOBMCCAUSLAND

BOBMCCAUSLAND Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi folks!!

I've got my son an Xbox360 for his birthday this Friday, and because he REALLY, REALLY, wants to be able to play against his cousins on Live got him a Belkin G Wireless adaptor.

Whilst he was out on a sleepover last night I had a go at setting up so that his Gamertag and anything else is set up and ready to go. Problem was that I couldn't get the adaptor to connect to our Sky Broadband router.

I first of all tried connecting the adaptor to the Xbox and using the Autoconnect button but connection failed.

Next I tried to follow the adaptor instructions and use the installation disc with the adaptor connected directly to the Sky Router through Ethernet as instructed. Entered the SSID for the Sky router and then when the adaptor tries to connect to the router and all lights should come on, the Wireless light doesn't.

When I take the adaptor back to the Xbox and try to connect Automatically through the Xbox menu, the Wireless light comes on for one second and then goes off. What I am getting is the LAN/Adaptor connection being recognised by the Router (the IP address shows up on the Xbox) but wireless connection to the PC router fails every time.

Help!!! Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Germinator

Germinator Active Member

Ratings:
    +656
    You can only use the official overpriced MS Wireless adapter Im afraid.
  3. spocksbeard

spocksbeard Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Or you could use a wireless bridge (or possibly access point, not sure unfortunatly but someone else will know) on the wireless network and then ethernet cable from the xbox into that.

Or homehub, no fiddling around with wireless settings, just plug into two wall sockets and the network runs through your powerlines.
  4. Moogle

Moogle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,448
    Assuming it's a USB wireless adapter it won't work as already mentioned. Only the official MS 360 USB wireless adapter will work. The alternative is to use a standard ethernet based PC wireless gaming adapter or network bridge. These can be a bit more fiddly to setup though and the official MS USB one is usually more straight forward. However it costs around £59.99 MSRP. You may find it cheaper as there have been a few special offers and sales recently on it.
  5. UKBOY

UKBOY Member

Ratings:
    +179
  6. mattclarkie

mattclarkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +937
    As he said he connected it to the 360 via ethernet and entered the SSID it sounds like it is a wireless bridge.

Based on my experience of Belkin it is probably just broken.
  7. Moogle

Moogle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,448
    If that's the case then fair enough. However in my experience dealing with ethernet based wireless adapters is quite hit and miss especially with the 360. It's also difficult I should think trouble shooting through a forum and much easier for someone actually there.

Also in my experience the installation disc is normally supposed to be used with the adapter connected to a PC and not directly to a router in order to configure it.

In theory the 360 should automatically detect the wireless adapter and configure it's side of the connection.

One thing to do is to do the network test on the 360 and see what error message comes up.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  8. Mr Noble

Mr Noble Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,514
    sounds like he's using a dongle to me , that you plug into a pc or laptop :smashin:
  9. LJx

LJx Active Member

Ratings:
    +368
  10. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,607
    you have to be careful with some of them

it has to be duplex for using on XBL and playing MP games (i believe the linked one is only half duplex unless it has changed as i used i own one but stopped using it due to it only being half duplex)

there are some very good ethernet bridges that are duplex and are not that expensive though
  11. beasty54

beasty54 Active Member

Ratings:
    +417
    He said he connected it to the sky router via ethernet not the 360. It does sound like its a USB dongle and as everyone else has said... it wont work on the 360.

You will need a wireless gaming adapter / wireless bridge that connects to the 360 via the ethernet socket.
  12. markgodley

markgodley Active Member

Ratings:
    +613
    Yep like ash says make sure it is Duplex not half. Half Duplex can send data in both directions but only one at a time (not simultaneously) = not good for gaming.
  13. mattclarkie

mattclarkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +937
    I'm betting that the one linked below at Amazon is the one the OP has. The Sky router has no USB ports, so if the OP plugged it into the Sky router it has to be ethernet.
  14. Ballgirl

Ballgirl Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I had a belkin gaming adapter for a while. What you are best doing is setting it up on a computer first manually.

Plug the ethernet into a laptop or computer and then go to the manual setup screen in a webrowser. If you look in the manual it says something like 192.168.2.2. The IP of your computer must be in the same range though so you might have to manually alter that too on your network settings.

Then you should be able to setup the belkin to find your sky router. Put in your WPA code and away you go.

Once Belkin is connected then simply plug the ethernet into the xbox.
  15. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,607
    Yeah i have it still sat on a shelf somewhere but it gave me a horrible connection in games like Halo 3 as the adapter would only do one of sending or receiving

@Ballgirl: that is a good way to set them up i agree as its easy to test if they are working and have the correct settings, but that is once the OP has a full duplex adapter
  16. ShadowmanUK

ShadowmanUK Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Wireless G is only half duplex anyway