Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBMC Best addons

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by brob, Apr 29, 2011.

1. brob

brob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

recently got a new revo r3700 and installed XMBC.

I have the iPlayer and icefilms, can anyone recommend any other great addons.

Cheers all
  2. Steeve24

Steeve24 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    The Apple lite movie trailer add-on, it allows you to view trailers from the main screen in some skins (Aeon MQ2)
  3. LISAFILLY

LISAFILLY Member

Ratings:
    +3
    tvtunes!

downloads the theme tune for you so when you scrol thru your menu, you get background music
  4. devilmen

devilmen Member

Ratings:
    +9
    devil video , for us grown up men(or some women ) lol
  5. DavidT

DavidT Member

Ratings:
    +219
    Try different skins, I recommend lighter CPU loading skins for the Revo such as Aeon Nox and Neon. The other Aeon skins are rather CPU heavy.

David
  6. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,139
    Funny you should say that as Transparency skin loads my cpu between 5% and 16% on my core i7 @ 4.0Ghz. I thought it might of been a bad install or a bug but I got the same results once I did a fresh install of the OS and xbmc. One of my 8 threads basically fluctuates to nearly max when xbmc is sat idle. You could say I was shocked that a media front end was using so much cpu resources.
  7. spong_miester

spong_miester Member

Ratings:
    +2
    the sportsdevil plugin is highly recommended for non sky sports suscribers :) :)
  8. degeneration

degeneration Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I like this one: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC - XBMC Community Forum

It allows audio out over two outputs at once, rather than the one.

So i've got it on 2.0 audio out over hdmi to the TV, and 5.1 audio out over optical spdif, so I can just switch on/off the appropriate sound device (TV/receiver) without having to go through the menus to manually change over the sound output method.

So I can also just play cds etc, without even having to switch me tv on as it will always be giving out audio over the required output.

This I like.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  9. dsmuk

dsmuk Member

Ratings:
    +12
    The add ons I have are

iPlayer
    You Tube
    Apple Movie Trailers
    SABNZBd - allows you to add and view nzbs to the SAB queue.

Have tried the Movie Experience add on but my fav skin (Xperience) doesn't support that.

If anyone knows of a good radio app please let me know!
  10. GaryMo

GaryMo Active Member

Ratings:
    +216
    Where would I find these? I'm quite to to XBMC and and just trying to find my way around at the moment!
  11. DavidT

DavidT Member

Ratings:
    +219
    Some skins are known to be CPU heavy as at the moment there is no HW acceleration for xbmc skins. Ones to note are Aeon (excluding Aeon Nox) and as you say Transparency. Generally the more feature rich skins are the heaviest CPU loaders. Aeon Nox gives nearly all the Aeon features and Neon is a mix of Night and Aeon.

David
  12. dsmuk

dsmuk Member

Ratings:
    +12
    There are lots of different add on repositories.

Here is a list of all the repositories

Unofficial Add-on Repositories - XBMC

Download the Zip file to a location on the XBMC machine and from within XBMC select install from Zip in the Addons menus.

Reboot the computer and you will then have a much extended list of available addons to install.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. mooperman

mooperman Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,313
    i'd reccomend the microsoft MCE app, it basically makes it much easier to map buttons on your remote, i use a harmony one and it worked a treat for that as well :smashin:
  14. LISAFILLY

LISAFILLY Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i'm using night.svn from the passion repository. very nice!

i like it as it supports the tv tunes and allows you to change the background fanart and genre posters and fanart.

does anyone know why some of the genre posters i have changed are a little hesitant when browsing from one to the next. everything else is very smooth and its not all of them, the first few and the last few are fine. but i am being fussy
  15. icstm

icstm Member

Ratings:
    +66
    I only have an i5, and am yet to buy new games. So and still looking for something to push my processor past 50% on a thread. Maybe this is it.

Even picasa and WLPG don't push it when doing their face detection and recognition. Which is a shame, as if they did, they would do it faster!