Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBMC 16:9 and 4:3 widescreen setup.

Discussion in 'Original Xbox' started by Greg1, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Greg1

Greg1 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am currently running the latest version of xbmc and have just purchased a new 16:9 widescreen Samsung LCD tv.

Problem is that I have set tv and XBMC on the Xbox console to widescreen. But all my media and dvd's are stretched to 16:9. Including 4:3 content.

How do you setup xbmc so that it knows when playing media to switch to 4:3 or 16:9 according to the type of media or dvd its playing? And play everything in its correct aspect ratio on my widescreen tv?

Do I need to get a component cable? I am currently using origional composite video cable on my XBOX.
  2. Dave Clutton

Dave Clutton Member

Ratings:
    +5
    There is an option under settings/video/player called resolution. Set this to Automatic between 16x9 and 4x3.

That should sort it.

IMHO you would probably benefit from a component cable.
  3. Greg1

Greg1 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That setting did not work. Have to set it to PAL or NSTC 16:9 in XBMC and let XBMC do the scaling not the TV.

Here are the settings I used to get XBMC to to display my media in the correct aspect ratio.

TV: Set to 16:9 Widescreen

Dashboard: UnleashX
    System -> settings -> Video display
    Video Display: Pal
    Format: Widescreen
    Auto Switch: Yes (this is the setting I was missing)
    Multi-region Mode: Pal
    Force PAL 60: No

XBMC
    Setting -> Video -> Player -> Pal 16:9

Pal 16:9 lets XBMC do all video scaling not the tv.

The Part I was missing were the dashboard setting that caused my problems.
    Without the Auto Switch set to Yes in dashboard, only PAL 4:3 would be available in XBMC.

Also ordered a Component cable from EBAY, which is about the only place you'll find them these days. Will get it on this week and will enjoy the improved picture quality over the composite cable I am currently using.