1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would I need planning permission to extend my garage a little ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jamieuk23, Jun 11, 2007.

1. jamieuk23

jamieuk23 New Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi I plan of converting my garage at the back of my house in to a home cinema/pool room. I would like to take the garage door off and and extend it no more that 2 metres and put a door on it.

So would I need planning permission to do this ? if so how to I go about getting it ?

thanks ! :thumbsup:
  2. Black-Adder

Black-Adder Member

Ratings:
    +36
  3. Adam Shaw

Adam Shaw Member

Ratings:
    +102
    As a guide, so long as the structure is not more than 50% of the area of your garden, and is not connected to both water and electricity at the same time, it can be classified as an outbuilding/shed, and then ussually the answer is no. You can have a roof up to 3 metres high if flat, or 4.5 metres if pitched. This may vary by local authority.

So, if you dont have a tap out there, you're fine
  4. jamieuk23

jamieuk23 New Member

Ratings:
    +28
    "and the answer is no" dont you mean yes?

any way think I am just gona take my chances and just add to it, only looking to extend a little
  5. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,410
    Good luck. Back in Manchester, we added a "shelter" thing at the back of the house, mainly for shade and barbies etc. Council heard nada about it :p Worst thing I suppose is they tell you to revert it...
  6. jamieuk23

jamieuk23 New Member

Ratings:
    +28
    thanks for info guys ! :smashin:
  7. Phil57

Phil57 Active Member

Ratings:
    +482
    I am, by no stretch of the imagination an expert, but...................please read the link that PeBe has provided, some of the details other posters have provided are....................how shall I put it.........err...........not correct.
  8. jamieuk23

jamieuk23 New Member

Ratings:
    +28
    any pointers on drawing the plans ??

Would drawing a box to resemble the garage with measurements and details of what I plan to do be anuf or do I need to include all the materials I am going to use etc ?
  9. Phil57

Phil57 Active Member

Ratings:
    +482
    You should understand that as the garage will no longer be a garage it will be a habitable room.
    I believe planning permission will be required, also building regulation will apply (this is not the same as planning permission)
    It would be a good idea to make a decent sketch of what you want to do and pop along to the local planning office, they will give you a far better idea of what is required.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.
  10. hillster

hillster Member

Ratings:
    +28
    This is pretty much spot on. We converted our garage a few years ago and needed planning permission and building regs. We also got the plans drawn up as they wouldn't accept my half arsed drawings.

Best of luck
  11. dc007

dc007 Member

Ratings:
    +47
    I added 8ft to my 22ft garage a couple of years ago. Rendered the walls, levelled and lined the floor, blocked off the car entrance but left the up-and-over door in place on the outside, to leave the appearance of a garage from the street. I now have a superb 270 sq ft gym :thumbsup:

Spoke to my neighbour to make sure they had no objection, then got the builders in. It was done 'sympathetically' to blend in with the existing garage, finish etc being identical.

I believe that technically I should have got planning permission, but this can take months and I couldn't be ar$ed.

I also believe that if it stands for a few years (5?) without challenge, it's legal anyway.
  12. jamieuk23

jamieuk23 New Member

Ratings:
    +28
    how much did it cost you mate from start to finish for it to be built ?
  13. dc007

dc007 Member

Ratings:
    +47
    From memory, about 1500 cash. I had estimates ranging from 800 to 6000 !!

Mind you, this was just for the extension. The floor and skimming of the original 9 x 22 garage had already been done a few years earlier.
  14. jamieuk23

jamieuk23 New Member

Ratings:
    +28
    any one on here confident with doing drawings for my small garage extension. I would pay you for it ?

:thumbsup: