Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working around Cinavia by blocking off outgoing traffic?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by martin31fr, Jan 7, 2013.

1. martin31fr

martin31fr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

My unit (Panasonic DMT-BDT120) has Cinavia enabled, although there is no mention for Cinavia on the box, weird.

Anyway - I was wondering if disabling Cinavia is not just a matter of configuring the router so that outgoing internet access is blocked for the player's specific IP (or MAC) address. LAN still being accessible to the player of course so that it can access files through DLNA or a local network share.

My DSL box/router has no built-in firewall capability, so I thought I could ask here if anybody tried this hack. It would just consist in adding a firewall outgoing traffic rule, or editing the routing table.

Thanks,
    MF
  2. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    I believe cinavia works with or without Internet access it is hidden in the video file itself.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Intenso

Intenso Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Yes, cinavia is embedded within the audio track.

It is well implemented and can even survive transcoding of the audio file itself.

Thankfully there are not that many titles that have it embedded and mostly sony releases.
  4. SeeleyBooth

SeeleyBooth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295
    So far

Sony
    Fox
    Universal
    Disney

Have Used Cinavia and i consider them 4 of the big 5 studios
  5. Intenso

Intenso Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Its easily curcumvented though, just don't use a BDP for streaming. Simples...
  6. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,557
    Cinavia is basically an audio watermark. Even the audio you hear in the movie theatres has this watermark in order to prevent cam pirating of the films. Cinavia enabled devices simply detect the presence of the Cinavia audio watermark and then stops playback if it does not match certain criteria such as the AACS key on a disc.

The Blu-ray implementation of Cinavia is designed to cover two use-cases: the first is the provision of a Cinavia watermark on all movie theater soundtracks released via film distribution networks; the second use-case is for the provision of a Cinavia watermark on all Blu-ray releases that points to the presence of an accompanying AACS key. If a "theatrical release" watermark is detected in a consumer Blu-ray audio track, the accompanying video is deemed to have been sourced from a "cam" recording. If the "AACS watermark" is present in the audio tracks, but no accompanying and matching AACS key is found on the disc, then it is deemed to have been a "rip" made by copying to a second blank Blu-ray disc.

Watermark data embedded into the stream is inaudible and impossible to scramble / remove , eventually you would lower the audio quality while trying to do that.

• Only a single channel of audio is required to detect the watermark
    • The watermark is able to survive re-recording through a microphone
    • The watermark can be detected through the production, duplication, distribution, broadcast, and consumer handling of recorded content.
    • Different copies of otherwise identical works can be distinguished

The thing about Cinavia is that in order for it to work then the player has to be Cinavia enabled. Older players tend not to be so the copyright protection awarded to Cinavia in limited to newer players and players who's manufacturers have implemented Cinavia via a firmware update. Sony BD players and the PS3 will almost certainly be affected by Cinavia because of Sony's involvement in the film industry. Cinavia watermarking detection support became mandatory for all new consumer Blu-ray players last year.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013