Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring freesat to existing quad LNB?

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by abbi-h, Nov 26, 2006.

1. abbi-h

abbi-h Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm a total newbie - I know a fair bit about how my sky+ works because we've had so many problems with it, and we've wired up a TV-link and magic eye, but I have no idea how to do what I need to do now and I'm hoping someone can help.

I'm keeping Sky+ in my lounge, but the kids need to watch cBeebies in another room (so I don't have to watch with them all the time!). There's no aerial in the other room, so Freeview isn't an option, but I've realised that the Sky dish is on the wall outside the room in which I need cBeebies. I've got hold of another Sky box, so my questions are:

*How exactly do I wire from the quad LNB down to the room?
    *What wire do I need - is it just normal co-axial cable?
    *Do I need any connectors?
    *Is there any danger of me knocking the dish off alignment whilst wiring, and if so how would I fix it?
    *Am I right in thinking I wouldn't even need a freesat card for cBeebies as it's a BBC channel?

Huge thanks in advance to anyone who can set me on the right path!

Abbi
  2. Inactive

Inactive Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Answers;

(1) Connect satellite cable, not co-ax to spare connector on LNB...then to Sat Box.
    (2) See above at (1).
    (3) Yes, an " F " Connector ar each end. ( waterproofed at dish end )
    (4) Shouldn't be a problem if you are careful.
    (5) Correct, no card required for BBC Channels.
  3. neilmcl

neilmcl Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Satellite cable IS coax cable which there a number of types.
  4. blacklion1725

blacklion1725 Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Have a look here look for the installation kit half way down at £9.95. That (or similar is what you need (+ some sealant for where you drill through the wall).
    If you but the cable separate look for CT100 or H109 spec.

If the dish is installed OK you shouldn't have any problems with the alignment, quite sturdy. As regards the channels, the BBC ones will be OK I think but some of the other Free to view channels will need a card.

Good luck!