Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wirelessly connect sky+hd and tv

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by robw2k8, Feb 25, 2012.

1. robw2k8

robw2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Hi all

Just can't get my head round this at all :facepalm:

My situation:-

I currently have a sky hd+box and a sky router in the living room. I connect my laptop, smart phone and ps3 wirelessly to my router.

My goal:-

I want multiroom in the bedroom and have rang sky and been offered a 1tb box for £49 which i would like to go in the living room and swap the normal sky hd+ box to the bedroom. I have just purchased a panasonic tx-p50g30b to go in the bedroom and appologies in advance if this has previously been covered but i would like to connect my tv to the internet wirelessly and also both my sky boxes to have anytime+ wirelessly for downloading hd content without dipping out.

Would these do the trick for me:- TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Twin Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

If so would i just need to plug one in the living room and one in the bedroom or would these only do for the 2 sky boxes and then a wifi dongle for the tv ? which seems an expensive route to me.

I would be grateful if you could post any information to alternate ideas or maybe i'm on the right track :rolleyes:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Rob.
  2. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,125
    Those would work but they generally only have a single Ethernet port on each one so if you want to connect your TV and Sky+HD box then you'd need to make one wireless or buy a cheap Ethernet switch. Something like this would do the job and it's even in a bundle deal with the powerline adaptors you want.
  3. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil Active Member

Ratings:
    +891
    You would still need to plug the downstairs Sky box directly into the router.
  4. robw2k8

robw2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Hi neil and miss chief thanks for your input, not that i think it would make a diffefence but im in a bungalow and that's what im trying to avoid if at all possible because that would mean i would need to run an ethernet cable over my door frame as the router is on the other side of the door connected to my phone line, so is miss chiefs suggestion my best option still ? Or is there a completely wireless solution for me ? Thanks guys :)
  5. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +891
  6. robw2k8

robw2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    A new outlook and money saving solution could be to move my router in the living room next to the sky box and use a 0.5m ethernet cable to connect the sky box to the router in the living room for anytime+ as the wires will be behind my tv unit, if i do this option then will miss chiefs idea for the bedroom still be the only way to go ?
  7. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +891
  8. robw2k8

robw2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Where are you suggesting these for please ? If i connect my router in the living room to my hd+ box via ethernet, i will then only need to connect my smart tv and hd+ box in the bedroom wirelessly to the living room router. If you are suggesting these for my tv and hd+ box in the bedroom don't these need a powered usb socket to work which i don't know if both are. Also how are these with downloading hd content without dipping ?
  9. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +891
    Yes, your TV will have at least one. Mains to USB adaptors are pennies.

Don't understand that comment at all.
  10. robw2k8

robw2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    In regards to downloading hd content i read here Panasonic Smart VIERA TX-P50G30B 50-inch HD Ready 600Hz Internet-Ready Plasma TV with Freeview HD Tuner £549 @ Currys - Hot UK Deals - Page 6 that whilst streaming hd content if using a dongle there can be dipping out (loss of wifi connection) where the downloading can be affected by poor or no wifi signal, i have no idea if this would apply to the product you have linked to ? I think this is going to be the route i am going to go down now though then i dont need to use up my well needed plug sockets, so thanks for all your help with this guys :thumbsup: