Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless surround sound system

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by Jay on F1, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Jay on F1

Jay on F1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    I've been meaning to sort out a good wireless surround sound system for a while now, but have been side tracked with sorting out some problems with my custom HTPC. With those now sorted I really want to address my audio options as I'm currently using a small 2.1 system :rolleyes:.

I've got a samsung LCD, 360 and HTPC I want to hook up to a wireless surround sound system. my budget is upto £500, but I would be prepared to go a little higher for the right system.

I'm after an amp/reciever that I can plug all of my kit into, a sub and 5 speakers - with the rears being wireless. I've got a laminate floor so I cant hide wires under the carpet and dont fancy channeling cable into the walls.

I've done a little research and found this http://www.aspecttv.co.uk/Unique-Wirefree-Surround-System/10.htm

Although specifics are a little sketchy its the kind of thing im looking for. I'm no audiophile or anything but I want the best kit possible for my budget. e.g. I dont want to spent £500 on a duff system, just because its wireless.

Any help and a point in the right direction would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Jamie

edit - I forgot to add I've got a blu ray and DVD drive in the HTPC so dont need a system with a dvd player included.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe Member

Ratings:
    +210
    I've got to ask, if the rears are wireless, how do you intend to power them?
  3. tomd84

tomd84 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Everyone seams to forget that with wireless devices that not really wireless (unless battery powerd)!
  4. Jay on F1

Jay on F1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    I've got plug sockets behind my sofa (where the rears will be) to power the speakers.

I mean 'wireless' in the sense that there will be no speaker cable required to connect the 2 rear speakers to the rest of the sytem.
  5. tomd84

tomd84 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Ah i see, all good then :)

I never used a wireless sround sound system but i have used other wireless things and from my experance they will allways pick up or have some type of interferance (as for example fm headphones hiss) so they way it carrys the signal to the back speakers is important!
  6. Jay on F1

Jay on F1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    Is there anyone that has had any experience with a 5.1 system that has 'wireless' rear speakers?

I've looked into virtual surround sound systems, but the results dont seem that great Therefore I'm thinking that a wireless system would be the way to go.

Is anyone aware of a good ;wireless' system for around my budget?

jamie
  7. mudstuff

mudstuff Active Member

Ratings:
    +356
    Hi mate,

Tbh I don't know why you didn't run some cheap cable through the walls when you renovated - look in the home cinema galleries and you'll see quite a few people allow provision for speakers. Or ran some flat cable under the floor. You might still be able to run some behind the skirting boards and then just a little bit under the floor by the door to then pop out behind the sofa. I can understand you now wanting to do any of this though.

I've not heard much good or bad about "wireless" rear speakers and since you've a simple audio set up now, it may be a welcome improvement.

Personally I'd figure out the cabling issue and get some decent rear speakers or buy a soundbar to go under the tv (the virtual surround from the Yamahas is pretty good).

If I come across any wireless ones though , I'll let you know.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  8. DolbyDan

DolbyDan Member

Ratings:
    +216
    Your budget and the fact your after a wireless setup really shouts at me that you should demo a Yamaha sound bar and when used with a really good sub the results are great.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Jay on F1

Jay on F1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    I hear what your saying about my renovation. I'm kicking myself for not thinking about chasing some speaker cable into the walls. Ideally I'd have some decent cable in place and it would just be a case of sorcing some quality bits that fit within my budget. Hindsight - fantastic isnt it! :rolleyes:

With regards to virtual surround sound I've heard only negative things - such as the effect being really underwhelming and the fact that the effect can only be appreciated in a very limited location. For example I may appreciate it, but the missus next to me on the sofa dosnt. Am I wrong here?

With the above in mind I've found myself in my current dilema. I know I'm not going to get amazing results with rear wireless speakers, but I was kind of hoping that there would be some h decent kit out there that would do the job. The fact that no-one can recommend anything, leads me to believe there isn't. :(

looks like I'l have to stick with the 2.1 for a little longer.
  10. Jay on F1

Jay on F1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    Maybe I spoke too soon? I had a look at the Yamaha sound projectors and stumbled across this system from sony

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...ound Kit & DVD Player#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

What do you guys think?

It looks pretty good on the surface - rear wireless speakers, DTS, Dolby Digital etc. No HDMI for sound, but optical and coax (for 360) plus little gimmicks like mp3 player hookup. The price is right too.

Anybody had any experience with this sytem? Is it lacking in a feature that should be present in a system like this? (sorry to ask a dumb question, but I am currently running an analogue 2.1 system :suicide:)

I've discounted the yamaha sound projectors for now, mainly due to their size as my stand isnt wide enough to house one. (the missus would kill be If I brought another stand! :nono:)

Anybodys thoughts on the sony system would be really appreciated :thumbsup:

Edit - Is this a new model? http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/dvd-home-cinema-systems/sony-davdz860w.asp
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  11. mudstuff

mudstuff Active Member

Ratings:
    +356
    Not bad mate, trust me the soundbars sound really good though i did wonder if you'd have the space for it on the unit. So long as there's space in the alcove, I shouldn't think it would hurt too much if it protruded from either side of the stand a little. Not the best aesthetically speaking though. The Sony system doesn't look too bad, it's unobtrusive, has the wireless speakers you're after and they're height adjustable which is a nice feature as you could lower the rears so you could hardly see the stands.

It's a shame there's no HDMI but since you'r covered with optical and coaxial, you should be alright. the only downside is that more and more devices are going to likely be featuring only HDMI and possibly doing away with other connections. Optical and coax also don't have the bandwidth for lossless audio so it means no DTS MA HD or Dolby TrueHD.

I always liked the idea of this http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=DAV-IS10 as it is so unobtrusive. The speakers are really powerful for their size and you could hide the rears. They don't appear to be wireless however, so you'd be back to square one and would have to run cable somewhere. Sony also does a 2.1 set up which would match well with your kit though obviously you're then missing out on surround which I take it you want (http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=DAV-F200).

Personally, I'd rather have a great front sound as I could care less about 5.1. I used to have a Kef KHT 5.1 system and the fronts and sub were great. The rear speakers were identical so nothing against them but on 90% of films there's just not much for the rears to do, studios just send a few discrete effects to them here and there and generally put the music/score through all speakers. Essentially all the big effects come from the front.

I've got some Monitor Audio BR5s at the front which are really good and powerful floorstanders. They produce enough bass for me too (would be a bit cruel to get a sub in a top floor apartment). I'm going to add a centre next week when I'm paid and then that'll help the separation, allowing the centre to handle dialogue and the floorstanders to handle all the effects. I have these hooked up to an Onkyo TX-SR606 amp which has loads of inputs and handles True HD and DTS MA HD so I'm future-proofed. Granted the amp and speakers were £400 each but the 605 will now be available for around £300 and you could pick up some cheaper front speakers - you'd easily get something decent for £200.

By all means discount this if you're set on the Sony's but I'd try and wait til you're down in a couple of weeks and hear my set up (bring some discs you've watched a lot and are familiar with, you wouldn't believe the amount you don't hear). I'd have a great front setup over a reasonable surround set any day. Then you could always chase some cable or run some flat stuff under a bit of the floor to add rears at a later date.

Just my opinion :)
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  12. mudstuff

mudstuff Active Member

Ratings:
    +356
    I just wanted to add that you currently have a 32" yeah? So that's likely to be approx 80cm wide, which would be the same as the ysp-30d. Surely it could sit on the top shelf in front of the tv? Then if you upgraded and squeezed a 37" in there, it would look less obtrusive. This review (page 2) rates the Yamaha very highly and the Denon looks good too, being cheaper and a lot smaller. Doesn't have as many inputs though but you might not need them all - the yamaha takes 2xhdmi, 2xcoax, 2xoptical and has hdmi out. Worth noting that although the RRPs are £700-£800, you'd likely find them cheaper.

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/1643/v/3/sp/

So many options, sorry I've not helped you whittle it down mate lol. We can all make various recommendations and say what we've got and why it works for us but you have to find what works for you and need to try some kit out and see. Part of the fun if you ask me.

I'd recommend going along to a local hifi shop with a demo room and trying some of this gear out.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  13. Jay on F1

Jay on F1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    Cheers for all your posts, especially mudstuff. Alot of good advice with plenty to think about.

I've come to the conclusion that an all in one home cinema system would be a bad move due to the lack of connectivity and future proofing. Yes it would do the job, but for what your getting the £500 price tag seems a little too high.

Ive decided to look into seperates. I've got my eye on an Onyko 605/606 reciever and a kef set of speakers and sub. This would take my overall spend to £800, but would give me a degree of future proofing, better connectivity, and better sound quality. All for £300 more than an all in one solution. I'm still a bit stuck on the wireless rear situation, but Have been looking into the kef wireless system. This would do the job for me, making my rear speakers wireless, but the only stumbling block is the £400 price tag! :eek:
    Think I'm going to save for a bit and then look at the situation again. In the meantime if anyone has any info as to the best price for the kef wireless system, please could you post because I'm struggling to find anywhere that stocks it.

Cheers,

Jamie
  14. pixybasher

pixybasher Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Jamie this is the one you want mate.
    Sony DAVDZ860W from prcdirect.co.uk

Note the "w" after the 860.
    I'm probably going to get this model in the next few weeks so I'll let you know what its like.
    Regards
    Nige