Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Surround Sound Speakers.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Harismith, May 10, 2010.

1. Harismith

Harismith Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a novice and I'd like advice about surround sound speakers.
    The speakers are to be connected to a TV and should be wireless. I appreciate that the speakers will require power, so wont strictly be wireless.
    I don't need/want a full Home Cinema system, just speakers for the TV.
    What should I be looking for and is a 7.1 set up that much better than a 5.1 for connecting to a TV?
    Any advice/info would be much appreciated.
  2. welshcraig

welshcraig Member

Ratings:
    +46
    dont think what you are looking for exists yet does it:confused:.
    also speakers connected to t,vwont give 5.1 or 7.1.
  3. StevieBuck

StevieBuck Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    No, if I'm understanding you correctly then no such system exists.

Depending on what TV you have (what model is it by the way?) it will probably output audio over stereo analogue connectors or a digital optical connection. The stereo analogue connectors will output exactly the same signals as what are being played back from the TV's speakers. Therefore connecting a set of speakers (wireless or not) to this and moving them to the back of your room won't actually give you surround sound. Depending on the speakers you use, then it may well sound better than the TV's built-in ones though.

The digital optical output will output the same audio signals as well, unless your TV has a built-in tuner that is capable of receiving HD channels. In this case the optical will output 5.1 audio. However, you need a home cinema system to decode the 5.1 signal and play it back through a set of speakers. Furthermore, you will only get 5.1 audio on selected HD programmes.

A compatible home cinema receiver will upmix stereo or 5.1 signals to 7.1. 'Proper' 7.1 soundtracks are only available on a very limited number of Blu-ray movies at the moment. Unless you have a large enough room to arrange/set up the 7.1 speakers correctly, then it's not usually worthwhile.
  4. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,066
    What is your budget? Do you want all 5.1 speakers to be wireless or just the rears?
    When you say home cinema system do you mean one with a DVD player? Hence would you accept some kind of processor/reciever/control unit that you plug the TV and other sources into?
    For example you could get an AV reciever and some Kef wireless adaptors but this will not be cheap (each KEF wireless adaptor set is £400).
    Wht the need for wireless as you will still need to hide all the power cables and also a lot of wirelss system go through a central reciever which you need to connect the 2 speakers too hence you still have speaker cables. There are many ways to run/hide speaker cable around a room which imho are better than wireless systems.
  5. Harismith

Harismith Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at the Philips 40PFL9704H/12.

Thinking about it, it's really only the 'rear speakers' that I would like to be wireless.

Power is available both adjacent to the TV location and at the rear speaker locations. I just wanted to avoid having to trail the 'rear' speaker cables.
    I accept that there would be some sort of amplifier/control unit but I imagined that this would be at the TV/front speakers location and the rear speakers would be wireless, except for power. I have no need for a DVD/Blue player.

If I do have to trail the speaker cables (front & rear), does it matter that the length of the speaker cables would be significantly different?
  6. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,066
    Different length speaker cables over the distances you are talking about in a room will not be an issue.
    The rear speakers will still need some form of amplification. This means having amps within the speakers (active speakers) or more normally a central control/amp section then wires to normal speakers.
    What is your budget?
  7. Harismith

Harismith Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't really have a budget as I don't know the market. I want something unobtrusive, decent and effective. I really have no idea what to expect to pay, say £150/250?
  8. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,066
    You will only just about get a wired 5.1 all in one system for that money. If you want a separates system that is wired you need to pay closer to £400 and then close to another £400 to get wireless rears.
    Your budget is completely unrealistic unfortunately.What is the absolute maximum you would want or could go to?
  9. Harismith

Harismith Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been doing a bit of research and it seems to me that what I thought would be simple option (wireless and speakers only) is in fact more problematic!
    There appear to be some Home Cinema systems available which appear to be more than adequate at seemingly realistic prices.
    At least our dialogue has helped in refining my thoughts to accepting a wired Home Cinema system - thanks.
    As the TV will possibly be Philips 40PFL9704H/12 , do you have any comments on the Philips HT5540/05?
  10. a8ch

a8ch Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I use JBL Control 1's which imo are fantastic for the money. They produce a wireless version called the 2.4G, reviews look very favourable get a listen at richer sounds.
  11. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,066
    The Phillips system seems to be good if you have a limited budget. I would be concerned about the quality of the system due to the low price but I have not seen/heard it so can not comment on the actual quality.
    Personally I would always go for a separates system due to the improved sound quality and connectivity/functionality. Also they are easier/cheaper to upgrade/replace in the future.
    If you have a limited budget then getting an AV reciever and pair of speakers first is a great place to start. You can then buy the other speakers as more funds allow. This will get you a much better system in the long run.