Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winning Things Too Cheaply On Ebay

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by AnthonyG, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Phil Scott

Phil Scott Member

Ratings:
    +69
    You know that is what the reserve is for. Half the problem with ebay is dishonest sellers such as yourself. Ah well, at least there are some genuine people left out there.
  2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,108
    Dishonest is a touch harsh don't you think.

Ebay charge a ruddy fortune to list stuff so many people list at 99p hoping and praying it will go up to a reasonable price.

Putting a reserve on an item costs a lot of money. Its all well and good saying people should do it. But ebay charge for these things.

We are talking about an item sold for 99p that retails at £50 RRP.

That 99p Ebay will have took 10% of the sale. Paypay 10%. And then more for changing it to a bank.

This guy will end up with something like 40p from this sale.
  3. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +13,067
    Which is a risk he takes by listing it low, to save a few pennies in commission charges. If it backfires, he took the risk so he should take the hit, not the buyer. And being honourable, he has taken it on the chin.
  4. weetsie

weetsie Active Member

Ratings:
    +515
    then dont use ebay, dont mess people around because you dont agree with the fees. if you're selling an obscure item its quitely likely you will only get 1 person interested so it makes sense to use a higher starting price.

it costs only £0.25 to list an item with a £14.99 starting price, you have no excuse not to honour it.

end of the day, if you're not happy selling something for 99p don't agree to potentially sell something for 99p!
  5. Phil Scott

Phil Scott Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Not really to be honest. At the end of the day you are screwing over the buyer because you took a risk and it backfired.

Would you not be pretty disappointed to have this guy turn around and make up some BS because he didn't feel like selling at the price you won the item for fair and square? I know I would be, especially if it was a bargain.

You might not agree with the way eBay run things (no one forces you to use them) but at the same time that is no excuse for throwing common courtesy and honesty out the window.

P.S. I agree with you on eBay charges and don't like using it much for this reason when it comes to selling, but doesn't mean I would mess people around. Minimum starting price or reserve!
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  6. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +13,067
    I guess it depends how you go about reneging on the deal. If you are honest and say you won't send it because you wanted more money then you are dishonourable, not dishonest :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Inked

Inked Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,808
    Last year I saw an old toy I wanted listed on eBay as Mint on Card with a buy it now of £75 or best offer. I made an offer of £55 which was declined, the listing ended without being bought and was re-listed as an auction instead which I won with a bid of £36 plus £7.70 postage.

When the item arrived, the seller had decided to just wrap it in a layer of brown paper (no doubt to recoup some of the cash they didn't make on the sale) with no other protection and so the box was damaged. I contacted them asking for a refund of some of the postage as they had only paid around £3 postage and got a barrage of abuse back accusing me of trying to extort money from them and telling me that I had got it for way below what it was worth.

I politely explained eBay's policy on overcharging for postage and explained that they could have accepted my offer on the original listing and that it is not my fault if other people didn't bid.

They ended up refunding me £6 which made me even happier with my purchase. :D
  8. sniffer66

sniffer66 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,319
    I know , I'm not debating whether it's ethical. I'm just saying loads of people I know do it do it so they don't lose out. Given the small sample of people I know who sell on eBay it must be rife
  9. wack

wack Active Member

Ratings:
    +289
    Not on eBay because it was 30 years ago when video recorders were new on the market and very expensive

I saw an advert in the local paper, faulty Betamax video recorder £20' this is when they were £300 new

I went to look at it and sure enough he put a tape in and the picture was all noise and squiggly lines

I bought it anyway because it was cheap

Took it home, put a tape in, opened a concealed flap and moved the tracking wheel back to the middle, sorted :D
  10. shoestring25

shoestring25 Active Member

Ratings:
    +179
    i always sell everything buy it now so im in control of what i get for it.
  11. JackFord

JackFord Member

Ratings:
    +46
    This may be true, but you need to research your pricing properly, otherwise you might be missing out on extra cash, say if you sell a Buy It Now for £30 when it could have been subject to a bidding war for £45 - but I can see your angel, you'll never get less than you want.
  12. Mr.D

Mr.D Active Member

Ratings:
    +968

Shill bidding . You've just admitted to comitting fraud and could (quite rightly if you ask me) be prosecuted for it.
  13. Mr.D

Mr.D Active Member

Ratings:
    +968

It is and I can generally spot it a mile away. This is why its better to "snipe" at auctions in the last few seconds without giving away your interest beforehand.

Personally I regard shill bidders as petty thieves who are responsible for ebay losing much of the fun and sense of good natured rivalry it had at the start.

Incidentally I have friends who shill bid and asked me to bid on their items. I told them in no uncertain terms what I thought of it and that it was literally comitting fraud. Most of them were quite shocked that what they had been doing was essentially criminal.

A couple of them have had warning letters from ebay as they were bidding up each others items on a regular basis.

I have a real soft spot for ebay and quite like to just browse through it. Never had a bad experience but I reckon I've seen shill bidding behaviour on just about every long duration bidding process I've entered into. Hence the reason for sniping these days.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  14. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,782
  15. sniffer66

sniffer66 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,319
    Point taken, I actually had no idea it was illegal.

Pretty sure I've not done it since 2008 anyway, but wont even consider it now
  16. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,108
    For those curious. It has come today. I am so pleased. The item was this

BANDRIDGE OPTICAL OR COAXIAL SWITCHER | eBay

Its a multiple Optical/Coaxial switch/converter; so it converts multiple Optical's in to one Coaxial out which I can then connect to my AV receiver. My Denon AVR3312 only come with 2 Optical in ports and every AV device I have only comes with Optical - I have 5 devices to connect to 2 ports.

Maplins sell it for £50. Which is far too much I say for a simply switch/converter box.

Digital Optical & Coaxial Audio Switch Box : Optical / Audio Switches : Maplin Electronics
  17. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +13,067
    Cool :thumbsup:
  18. JFRTDI

JFRTDI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +180
    I got a brand new in box logitech pro mediaboard wireless keyboard/mouse for 12.62 whilst others 25 upwards.
  19. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    won a 2nd hand dishwasher off eBay for £74 (would have been £40 something had my girlfriend not chickened out and bid with a whole minute left instead of 5 seconds) and the day we were to collect it, the guy phoned me and said he'd just tested it and it was broken.

No idea if that was true or if he was just gutted it went so cheaply, but it was good in the end cos turns out the gap to fit it in is more like 59" than the 60" of the actual dishwasher!
  20. IanW1977

IanW1977 Active Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Won an auction for some Ford Focus 16" alloys with new tyres for £120.

2 Tyres alone cost £120 !!