Winning Things Too Cheaply On Ebay

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am probably worrying needlessly. Although I doubt it. And even if not it is an interesting thing to discuss.

But this evening I have won something for 99p that is way too cheap. The item retails for £50 new and is an electronics piece of hardware (am not saying what it is incase the seller reads this forum).

I have a deepdown feeling the seller is going to refuse this sale. Or come back with "its broken while packing up so cannot sell it" type response. And really I cannot fault him as I would do the same.

Another part of me is thinking if he does this to come back with a how about I pay more for it.

I have already paid for the item but when doing it I felt I was wasting my time doing it.

To clarify I was really wanting this electronics hardware but refused to pay £50 as its not worth £50. I would say more so £30 at the absolute most.

I looked on ebay just as a laugh thinking nobody would be selling it. But one person was with 6 days to go.

I bid a high bid for it to make sure I got it and waited expecting as usual to be outbid in the last seconds by those fools buying second hand stuff for more than you can get it brand new (why do they do that!)

And nobody else bid so it went for £1.

Has anyone else got stuff cheap like this and the seller went through with it or not?

And if the seller comes up with the excuse to refuse sale is there anything people can suggest as I want it. It is quite a rare electronics item (I doubt anyone else would be selling it for a good few months) and like I say £50 new.

Well, the way eBay works, is that you can give him some pretty snotty Feedback if he decides, that although you won it fairly and squarely, he isn't going to complete the deal.

But..........

He might very well give you some very bad Feedback back in return.

Hmmm?

Well, the way eBay works, is that you can give him some pretty snotty Feedback if he decides, that although you won it fairly and squarely, he isn't going to complete the deal.

But..........

He might very well give you some very bad Feedback back in return.

Hmmm?

I don't think sellers can negative feedback buyers now as Ebay stopped it just for this.

I would need to confirm that though.

But like I say my point of the post was not to find ways to ruin/bad feedback the guy. It was more so how to make sure I still get the item. As I want it. And had bid quite a lot for it expecting to have a fight to get it.

I sold a Motorola Atrix dock on eBay the other day. Brand new and boxed. Had 20 watchers and sold for £1.20 plus £2.00 p and p.... I thought he was a lucky buyer and sent it out!!

Interesting.

He really should send it you with no complaint. He understood the risk of starting at a low price with no reserve and, presumably, is aware of e-bay terms and conditions.

However, he may well do as you suggest.

If so, personally I would contact him, explain you agree it went too cheap and that you understand his situation, that you really do want the item and come to an amicable agreement.

Communication and a reasonable attitude tends to get you want you want, I find.

I won a really nice vintage mahjong set for 99p and £1.25 postage. When it arrived it had £4.80 worth of stamps on it.

I gave them very nice feedback...

I've also had bids erased at the last second because the item is no longer available, and post auction apologies that when they came to pack it they couldn't find it :suicide:

No-one has ever asked for more though.

If he pulls out you can message him and ask what he would accept and he may be able to set up a new sale just for you. I don't know quite how it works but I have done this as a buyer. They may need to be a "shop" to do this.

I think I'll have to put thus in the irrational annoyance thread but I'd just like to point out you don't "win" things on eBay. You have to pay for them. So you BOUGHT something

Thank you

:)

Just received positive feedback so it looks like I am getting it.

This is one of those very rare moments that bring back the feeling of Christmas day when you were a kid.

I've had stuff sell for 1p and sent it out.

As long as postage is covered there's no bother, and it helps to build feedback....

So what was it then ? :)

I will link to it once its in my hands just to be safe. Don't want to mess things up as its the type of electronics item the owner will definitely be a member here.

But will PM any curious people a link.

My brother just sold a 2nd hand office table for a quid yesterday. It was no use to him and would probably have gone to the tip if it hadn't sold. He was hoping for more but not really fussed it only sold for a quid.

Does make you wonder if some people actually understand how Ebay works... ;)

I will link to it once its in my hands just to be safe. Don't want to mess things up as its the type of electronics item the owner will definitely be a member here.

But will PM any curious people a link.

Click me :)

:D

I think I'll have to put thus in the irrational annoyance thread but I'd just like to point out you don't "win" things on eBay. You have to pay for them. So you BOUGHT something

Thank you

:)

You win an auction :laugh: you compete with other bidders and the highest bid wins it.

Look up the dictionary term auction.

Not to be confused with "Buy it now"

Of course having won the auction, once you pay for it you have bought it :D

You can pick up some fantastic bargains on Ebay. I bought a cot for £5.
It's up to the seller to set a minimum acceptable price.

Anyone ever tried those sites advertised in the papers auction mini coopers and plasmas where they go for like £50? Surely that's not possible? Will try and track down a link...

It's up to the seller to set a minimum acceptable price.

The problem is Ebay start charging a fortune the more you ask for.

List something for a £1 they charge you 10p listing. List something for £30 they charge you something like £4 to list it.

Anyone ever tried those sites advertised in the papers auction mini coopers and plasmas where they go for like £50? Surely that's not possible? Will try and track down a link...

It would be possibly in so much if nobody else knows about it; if you need to find the link it cannot be common knowledge auction site.

There are firefox addons and websites that search for misspelt words in auction listings as if you search for Ratatouille blu-ray you will be fighting to win and pay over the odds than if you find and bid on the Ratatoulle blu-ray

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I've once sold a sofa on ebay for £1 and the buyer got it.

The thing is the sofa was damaged on one arm by the cat so we bought a new one. The new one had been delivered and we needed rid of the old one as we didn't have the room.
It would have cost me money to hire a van to get it to the recycling center or get the council to collect (they chage) so I got paid £1 for some students to take it away for me.

I've had some great items by just bidding a small amount and then walking away and checking after the auction has ended. Some people really don't have a clue when it comes pricing.
Did have a slight issue on a car that I won that was well below book price and the seller sent an Email informing me that it was advertised elsewhere and sold and and and.....
That was ignored and me and a mate drove over and 30 minutes later I was driving off with a big smile.

The problem is Ebay start charging a fortune the more you ask for.

List something for a £1 they charge you 10p listing. List something for £30 they charge you something like £4 to list it.

That's partly why I now use Gumtree to sell stuff.

If he comes back with its now broken tell him to send it anyway!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom