Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Phone 8 'Apollo' info leaked?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by bagg3rs, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bagg3rs

bagg3rs Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Interesting!

Windows Phone 8 'Apollo' video details Skype plans, Windows 8 integration, and hardware support | The Verge

Microsoft's Director of the Windows Phone program, Joe Belfiore, has detailed a number of Windows Phone 8 features in a leaked video intended for partners. PocketNow managed to secure a copy of the video and the feature list is long. Through speaking to PocketNow editors, we can confirm that the video is authentic, intended for internal use only, and Microsoft is planning the following for its next-generation of Windows Phone:

Hardware

Belfiore details all the forthcoming hardware support for the software platform. Below is the list of the major hardware changes coming. We'd also add LTE to the list (although, that will be here before Windows Phone 8's arrival with the Lumia 900).

Multi-core processors
    Four screen resolutions
    Full microSD card storage support
    NFC radio support with contact-less payments "wallet experience"
    Windows 8 integration

Synergy between the phone and the PC / tablet is going to be a big one. Not only will Windows Phone 8 share the same Metro style user interface as Windows 8 for tablets and PCs, but developers can reuse the same code for both operating systems. Additionally, the Zune Desktop is being scrapped in favor of a sync relationship with a companion app and the Xbox companion app will have a partner client on both Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. Similar to Windows 8, seamless SkyDrive integration will also play a big role with cloud syncing. And then there's NFC: in addition to providing that aforementioned "wallet experience" it will allow for tap-to-share capabilities between hardware-supported phones, tablets, and PCs.

Apps and Skype integration

Microsoft looks to be streamlining application development: there will be native code support for developers and app-to-app communication support. However, the biggest app details revealed are related to Skype integration. It is said to be fully integrated at the OS level. The camera app is also explained; OEMs can skin the app with viewfinders from third-parties; Microsoft is working especially close with Nokia on this.

Data management and business support

Like Android 4.0, Windows Phone 8 will do quite a bit on the data usage and management front. Windows Phone 8 will have a live tile for tracking usage and consumption. Called DataSmart, the feature will also attempt to give "WiFi connections precedence," says PocketNow. In addition, Bing local scout will include real-time location of nearby hotspots and Internet Explorer 10 will have built-in server-side compression to reduce data usage.

On the enterprise side, there will be BitLocker encryption support for full-disk encryption of Windows Phone 8 devices and a line-of-business application support for businesses to deploy apps behind company firewalls.

It's without a doubt a very hefty and exciting update, one that's expected to arrive later this year. Stay tuned as we learn more over the next couple of months, and perhaps at Mobile World Congress at the end of the month.

Update: Microsoft says it has "no official comment" on the leaked video.
  2. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +485
    Sounds like it could be really good. Will it be ready for Christmas though? :D
  3. LanceR

LanceR Active Member

Ratings:
    +466
    Isn't it Tango 2nd Quarter and Apollo 4th Quarter
  4. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    I'm sure many people will read this and instantly jump to the conclusion it's all pointless because by the time it's released, iOS and Android will have run even further ahead. That really misses the point of Windows Phone and the way it's being developed though, IMO.
  5. rcaudwell

rcaudwell Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Looks really interesting. I`ve been sold on WP7 since getting my Lumia 800, so could see myself getting a "WP8" or whatever they call it at the end of the year. I know this supports dual core, but is it a minimum requirement? Are any WP7 phones going to have updates released to give them the new version?
  6. skin2k

skin2k Member

Ratings:
    +3
    MS will keep working on its phone interface and adding and tweaking it all the time until its as good as if not better than IOS and Android. MS will win.
  7. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,032
    It is quite amazing how many updates have been rolled out since its launch 15th months ago.
  8. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Now this is more like it, nice one Microsoft :smashin:

Best news is that they're getting of Zune, this PITA bloatware wasn't fit for purpose years ago let alone as a genuine synching mechanism for a modern smartphone. I'm guessing it wasn't high on the list of priorities for launch given the ongoing obsession with t'cloud as well as more of a focus on the consumer rather than business market.

IE compression also looks interesting, something to perhaps rival Opera Mini?

Only potential bugbear from this leak is that it looks like it will be tightly integrated with Win 8 for a consistent user experience. Not sure how that will pan out with the legions of XP users still out there, and to a lesser extent, Win7 platforms.
  9. LanceR

LanceR Active Member

Ratings:
    +466
    Yep you're right, what will they add teleportation?
  10. LanceR

LanceR Active Member

Ratings:
    +466
    I beleive pretty much every handset that has been released so far will get Apollo. So your Lumia (and mine) will be fine for some years yet.
  11. Jakeway

Jakeway Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I dunno about that. I think the pledge went as far as tango for all. But wait and see its so far away you its not worth waiting for.

I cant wait to hear about Tango myself. :)
  12. LanceR

LanceR Active Member

Ratings:
    +466
    Yeah good point. Tango's not going to be major though is it.
  13. Bilbob

Bilbob Active Member

Ratings:
    +295
    AFAIK, Apollo hasn't actually been confirmed officially as being for all existing handsets as an upgrade, but think about it...
    Nokia have bet the house on WP, do you honestly believe that they would release these phones now, knowing they are going to be defunct in a few months?
    Can you imagine what that would do to Nokia's rep?

Don't panic, I'm sure WP8 will be coming to all handsets. Might be 'feature light' in some areas, but the core os will come, I'm certain.

I also think this is why developers have been restricted in what they can use to develop apps with.
    If they ARE changing the kernel (which seems likely) then all that will be required is a recompile of the app, and hey-presto... it's ready for 8...
  14. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    It would be no different to their previous sales model of releasing incremental models on a regular basis, tagging just an 'i' onto the name. Nor would it be any different to other smartphone manufacturers who release a device, then a better one less than a year later.

These devices wont be defunct in a few months, they will be every bit as good as they are today, there will just be better devices. It's no different to Nokia releasing the Lumia 800 and then following up with the 900 not that long afterwards.

It's really up to Microsoft which old devices are supported by new OS releases though, not Nokia. Microsoft control the updates.
  15. Bilbob

Bilbob Active Member

Ratings:
    +295
    Rob, it's very different.
    The question is whether the existing models will be made 'defunct' by wp8, ie, un-upgradeable. Releaseing a newer, better spec'd model is just what phone companies do. They don't stand still!
    No one is going to maon about a new improved model coming out that is better than their one (well, some will, but that's life...) but they will moan if a phone they bought a mere few months ago is abandoned.

My link with Nokia, is that Nokia and MS are now VERY close partners in the phone space. Do you honestly believe that MS can take a single step in that area without Nokia knowing about it?
  16. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    I don't see how releasing a new OS a year or more after a device is released, makes that device defunct? By the time WP8 is released the Lumia 800 will be at least a year old. It wont be defunct in any way though, it will still do and offer everything it did the day you bought it.

There is also nothing to suggest WP8 wont be offered to some older devices. Not all perhaps and please correct me if you can prove I'm wrong, but Microsoft haven't said WP8 will not be offered to older hardware? Even if that is the case, it doesn't make a device defunct. If that were the case, about 90% of all Android handsets would be defunct within a year of release! If somebody really is bothered about this, they would surely have researched their choice first and realised that they are buying a year-old handset. The vast majority of consumers wont care though, they buy the phone for what it is and does now. People like us on forums like this aren't typical consumers.

Microsoft and Nokia are still separate entities and will put their own interests at the forefront of any decision. Microsoft can survive without Nokia, they don't need them for WP to be a success, so I'm sure they wont lose too much sleep over upsetting Nokia, if that's what they end up doing.
  17. bagg3rs

bagg3rs Member

Ratings:
    +55
  18. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    The biggest answer will be that of the handsets this can be run on. It's almost tempting to buy an old WP handset just to have a play with this!
  19. bagg3rs

bagg3rs Member

Ratings:
    +55
    This build is not targeted at mobiles unfortunately (although hopefully they release some info!), only x86 x64 desktops/laptops/tablets. or did you mean pick up an old W7 tablet? Anyway looking forward to installing this over the dev preview I have as there has been a lot of improvements, I think one of the major things though will Marketplace for Metro Apps. The Dev preview although for devs! was a bit boring with only the sample apps available.
  20. rockmonkey1973

rockmonkey1973 Active Member

Ratings:
    +264
    i think i will be buying a wp when apollo is released. i am sick and tired of having to root my phone just to get an update to the latest operating system on android. apollo looks to iron out the creases and brings to the table the things that i didnt like about microsofts phone software such as no sd card support.

i also think it will be designed to integrate pretty seamlessly with windows 8

and the good thing is no venders are allowed to stick a skin over the top meaning updates to any and all windows phones.

if microsoft get this right (allowing apps to be installed on your phone and your tablet/ laptop and everything syncs with ease) i honestly think windows phones will be the dominant player in the market in the not too distant future.

what i am hoping for is a decent 11.6 inch intel tablet that i can run using metro touch friendly tiles. Then whenever i want to i can attach it to a dock which transforms it into a laptop plug in a mouse and use it in a more traditional way. on top of all this goodness a windows apollo phone (4 inch screen max rugged and built like a moto defy with a really thin bezel and thus small footprint) which syncs all my important stuff like music documents and other bits and pieces for when i mosey on out of my flat.

basically i want a transformer prime that runs windows 8 and a moto defy with a 4 inch screen that runs apollo :D
  21. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +485
    Well I know they use WP7 phones in hawaii 5-0 as standard and noticed tonight they had some tablets (showing a windows icon in the desktop) with video calls running (skype maybe). Would MS use product placement for WP8 to showcase it?
  22. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    I'm sure they would, it works well and gets people talking.
  23. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +485
    Well having seen some good feedback on htc one x I'd like to see how it would be using windows 8. I think they could be onto a winner doing that.

Anyone else think we'll get current hardware with the new windows when it's released?