Windows or android for ease of use calls only

RobTi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi wondered what your opinion was to which was the easiest to operate for calls only, then also calls and basic internet, texting.

Reason for asking I need to get my parent a new phone and was wondering between a Lumia or moto and as they are nearly 80 it needs to be simple.

Thanks

Depends on the parent. My mum is 82. She struggles with anything other than a regular phone with keys...as few as possible.
Bought her an old windows 7 phone. Pinned all the contacts that she calls regularly on to the home screen. She still struggles even with that. But maybe she is just a bit of a donut... You should see her trying to operate the Virgin tv box if she presses the wrong button and a pop up appears.

I think you'd be better off getting a good feature phone. I bought a Nokia Asha with a qwerty for an elderly relative and because they're used to the old Nokia's, the transition was easy. Only took a day or two before he was checking email, WhatsApp and basic Internetting.

At that age, you can't beat proper hardware controls, a touchscreen will always be much harder and cumbersome since the context is continually shifting.

Thanks got him a lumia 520 pinned his favourite contacts to the home screen and deleted everything else and he's got it perfect now, well at least for calls, will give him a couple of weeks and then set up texting for him as the grand kids have been texting him lol

Things like pinning contacts to the homescreen really are undervalued features of win8. Yes you can do in android/iOS but not as well.

I use an android phone, as a tech head, but even I like the simplicity of win8 at times (my 2nd mobile currently).

Microsoft really do a bad job at advertising it, they need to lean on what makes it different than iOS/Android, not what makes it similar, and to me this is a good selling feature.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom