Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 upgrade issues

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by nickylewis, Oct 22, 2009.

1. spaceman763

spaceman763 Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Glad to hear you finally got there! I take it the bootable DVD still needs an OS already installed before it installs Windows 7? For example, if my OS ever becomes unstable or fails to boot and I want to reinstall Windows 7, I would have to first install my copy of Windows Vista and then run the Windows 7 Bootable DVD?
  2. tehpfy

tehpfy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It's a good question. At no point did I notice it 'checking' for an existing install, I simply picked the partition and away it went. It even wrapped up my existing install into a folder named "Windows.old" for me, so I need not have backed everything up first (though I was always going to).

That said, I remember when I installed the equivalent Vista upgrade back in the day I needed an OS already installed. I first tried with a blank hdd but it said I needed an OS, so I had to throw on WinXP before Vista would kick off the install, so it's probably the same situation here.

So for me in the future on a blank drive I guess I'd need to reinstall at least XP to get 7 to install/'upgrade'.
  3. tedj11

tedj11 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi tehpfy,

Did you say that you also had problems unboxing the box file? If so, you managed to make a boot disk from the files that were extracted with the error?
  4. whitepanda

whitepanda Member

Ratings:
    +0
    tehpfy....how did u get pass the following message??

"We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security
    permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only".

saw it on technet
    1. From within XP 32-bit, I downloaded the 64-bit version of Win7 Professional upgrade.
    2. Used the installer to extract the files, but received above mentioned error.
    3. Checked the file size of the folder "extendedSetup" and noticed that it was 3.01 GB.
    4. Moved extendedSetup folder to root (C:\)
    5. Downloaded this file and placed it into C:\WINDOWS\System32: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachme...124-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l-oscdimg.zip
    6. Bought up command prompt and typed the following: oscdimg -bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -1WIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso
    7. Burned ISO with ImgBurn (freeware)
    8. Booted, installed, and activated
  5. tehpfy

tehpfy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Correct. Even through it came up with the error, the files were still good to go and quite usable on a boot dvd.
  6. whitepanda

whitepanda Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so use those files from extendedSetup and make a bootable disc?
  7. tedj11

tedj11 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome, thanks a lot for clearing that up. Been driving me crazy all morning, now I had to run off to uni and cant sort it out! Although its good that other people are working on the problems while I cant, so im not bashing my head against the keyboard. :p
  8. siblades

siblades Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Hi tehpfy, glad to see you got it all working ok in the end. I had the same problems as yourself. I have now created my boot DVD. Did you actually boot from the DVD to install Windows 7? Or did you run the DVD once you were on your desktop? Cheers.
  9. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +81
    I have also downloaded the Windows 7 Pro 64Bit version which I want to install from Windows XP Pro. However, I have the same message as everyone else "setup.exe is not a valid win32 application" !

How on earth could Microsoft not have forseen this problem ?

I have therefore unpacked all the required files into the Expanded SetUp folder. However, I have been unable to create an ISO from these files using the instructions advised here :

Make bootable iso from student d/l - Windows 7 Forums

Running the command prompt gives the following result :

C:\Documents and Settings\Jude>C:\WINDOWS\system32\Oscdimg.exe -u2 -bC:\Users\Jude\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h C:\Users\Jud\Desktop\expandedSetup C:\7.iso

OSCDIMG 2.54 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility
    Copyright (C) Microsoft, 1993-2007. All rights reserved.
    Licensed only for producing Microsoft authorized content.

ERROR: Could not delete existing file "ûbC:\Users\Mark\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com"
    Error 123: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Does anyone please have any idea either what the problem is or advise an alternative way of creating an ISO from the fles in the Expanded Folder ?

Thank You
  10. siblades

siblades Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I had the same problem and could not find an answer. Move the downloaded files from your desktop to the C Drive root and then when on the command prompt, instead of typing C:/Users/Jude/Desktop just type C:/
    This worked for me. Let me know if you have any more problems :)
  11. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks for the post siblades.

I'm still the same problem except now I'm getting this error message :

ERROR: Could not delete existing file "ûbC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsbo ot.com"
    Error 123: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Any idea's ?

Thanks again.
  12. siblades

siblades Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Sorry I don't know what to suggest. I didn't even understand the orginal error message and just took a chance on moving the files to the C Drive root, and it worked. Hope there is someone out there who can provide you with an answer. I have just got mine fully installed now, will report back later when I have had a good mess around and put all my files back on :thumbsup:
  13. vaporand

vaporand Member

Ratings:
    +20
    where do i find my product key? its not on the invoice or email...
  14. fat jez

fat jez Active Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Login to your MS store account.
  15. vaporand

vaporand Member

Ratings:
    +20
    doesnt work, didnt have a MS passport account before buying. it says
    Purchase History
    Once you make a purchase on Microsoft Store, your products will appear.

i think its because i added the dvd to be sent as well... this stinks cant install until i receive the dvd
  16. siblades

siblades Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Well I am up and running on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, and it's absolutely fantastic. All drivers installed automatically, and everything seems perfect. Lets hope it stays this way :thumbsup:
  17. PsychoChimp

PsychoChimp Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Make sure you've got oscdimg.exe in your System32 folder, then open a command prompt (as Administrator if using Vista) and paste:

Oscdimg.exe -m -h -n –b"C:\Users\your_username\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com –h "C:\Users\your_username\Desktop\expandedSetup" C:\Win7.iso

Adjust the paths for etfsboot.com and the expandedSteup folder if you need to.

I've managed to make and burn an iso using this but not had time to install yet.

Note: There shouldn't be a space in boot...

Chimp
  18. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +81
    OK. I have finally been able to create an ISO and burn it to DVD using the link posted above.

However, I now have an even BIGGER headache !

After the ISO had been compiled I burnt it to a DVD. I then booted from the DV and Hey Presto ! Windows 7 started to install. I got to the Windows which displayed the available hard drives in my system and saw an icon for drivers. Remembering I have a SATA/RAID controller on my motherboard I tried to install the drivers from the floppy disk (same as F6 in Windows XP) but Windows 7 rejected them. I then quit out of the Windows 7 install in an attempt to find out if I neede additional drivers.

I have found out that I do not need additional RAID drivers but now I cannot boot from the Windows 7 DVD that I originaslly burned.!

I therefore burned another one but that doesn't work either. When I try to boot from the DVD it says "Boot From CD" and then goes straight into a normal Windows hard drive boot ! AAAGH !

Can anyone please offer any helpful advice ?
  19. siblades

siblades Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Don't know how to get it to boot from the DVD again, but you shouldn't have tried to install any drivers during the installation. It found all of mine automatically and it works perfectly, which is surprising as it is 64-bit.
  20. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Well, I only tried to install drivers, but it was unsuccessful.

However, now I cannot boot from either of the copies of the disks I have made which is weird. Particularly as nothing has loaded at that stage so what is telling it not to boot ?
  21. luke90

luke90 Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Right ive made an ISO file. Its now in my documents. How do i get it onto a dvd? What have you guys used?

Also i had the error in unpacking the files earlier that everyone seems to be having but i just carried on and used what it had unpacked. Will this cause me problems?

Thanks
  22. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Ok, I used MagicISO to burn another disk and I now have a bootable DVD.

However, Windows 7 now installs but as soon as it restarts during the install my system boots to my old OS (on a different drive) and thats it.

So now I'm getting half way there and no further !
  23. DazzaSammy

DazzaSammy Member

Ratings:
    +112
    So are both Operating Systems installed, Windows 7 and the other. Get Easy Bcd to fix the Boot order to allow you to dual boot. Run it on the OS that works. Failing that use the windows 7 disc to try and repair the boot order. What is on the other HDD. ?
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  24. bagatanmd

bagatanmd Member

Ratings:
    +95
    is it possible to use my upgrade license if i use a retail copy of win 7 pro instead of the upgrade disc?

evilgenius Member

Ratings:
    +94
    Guys my 3 setup files including the expandedSetup folder is moved to D:\Windows 7 as I was preparing my C: for Windows 7.

What should my cmd line switch look like?

EDIT

okay im trying this:
    Oscdimg.exe -m -h -n –b"D:\Windows7\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com –h "D:\Windows7\expandedSetup" D:\Win7.iso

but at the cmd prompt all i get is :

OSCDIMG 2.54 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility
    Copyright (C) Microsoft, 1993-2007. All rights reserved.
    Licensed only for producing Microsoft authorized content.

Usage: OSCDIMG [options] sourceroot targetfile

For option information, use -help with one of the following categories
    ISO Options for the ISO 9660 file system
    Joliet Options for the Joliet file system
    UDF Options for the UDF file system
    Boot Options for bootable CDs
    Optimize Options for optimization
    Order Options for ordering the files
    DVD Options for DVD video and audio
    Mesg Options for displaying warnings and messages
    Other Options that do not fit in any other category
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  26. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +81
    No, Windows 7 will not install. I changed the boot priority in BIOS to the dempty drive that I wanted to install Windows 7 on to. I then booted the PC and installed Windows 7 from the DVD but as soon as Windows 7 reboots for the first time I get :

Boot From CD :
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK + PRESS ENTER

Obviuosuly, the install does not complete after this message !
  27. nickylewis

nickylewis Member

Ratings:
    +3
    YES - that's what I did, and IMO its the simplest way to install win7 pro 64bit on 32bit vista.
  28. drummerjohn

drummerjohn Member

Ratings:
    +167
    OMFG!!!!!!!!!!

I have just spent 55 minutes on the phone to Microsoft because of this and they tell me I have to ring a premium rate number for Digital River as they supplied it.

Needless to say I went off on one and hung up.
  29. nickylewis

nickylewis Member

Ratings:
    +3
    RIGHT...here is the solution to everyones problem:

Windows 7 Professional iso

This is the iso of the windows 7 professional disk (en-us) - i.e. same as UK disk.

Burn it, and its what we all expected we would get.

Im on it currently, used my student key and its passed genuine authentication.

Forget the student download, and get downloading that.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Is this 32 bit or 64 bit ?