1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 ... can't restore to factory image

Discussion in 'Desktops' started by CFC1, Mar 1, 2011.

1. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Hi guys,

I have a Dell Inspiron One system running Windows 7, and 2 days ago, it decided to stop connecting to the internet for some reason. It is hooked up wirelessly to our BT Homehub (and I also have an ethernet cable plugged in) but the wireless connection overides this. On Sunday, I got a little yellow triangular box appear over the wireless 5 bar icon (stopping me from getting online) and I can't get it to go away, no matter what I do. I'm not too computer savvy, but I got into the connections info, and it says that both the wireless and ethernet devices/connections are working properly. There seem to be two networks, as I'm getting the messages ...
    "Unidentified Network - No Internet Access" and
    "BT Homehub BD97 - No Internet Access"

When I look a bit further into the "map" it says "Default Gateway Not Available"

I have disconnected and reset the Homehub 3 times and it seems to be functioning normally, as all the lights come on properly and my our 3 laptops all work fine wirelessly.

I'm really stuck as to what it could be, since everything seems to be working fine!!

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  2. spyder viewer

spyder viewer Moderator

Ratings:
    +842
    Check that the wireless card is operating properly:

Start/Control panel/Device manager/Network adaptors Make sure none have yellow ? by them.

Start/Control panel/Network and sharing center Try set up new network or connect to a network.
  3. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Thanks for your help. :)

It says that Wireless card is operating properly.
    When I go to "connect to a network" it says that I am currently connected to:

BTHomeHub-BD97
    No internet access

Wireless Network Connection
    BT HomeHub-BD97 ....... Connected (5 green bars)
  4. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    When I go into "network connections" I have 2 boxes that appear to be working ...
    Local Area Connection ... BT Homehub ... REaltek PCIe GBE Family Controller (ethernet?). It's status is IPv4 Connectivity ... No Internet Access. IPv6 Connectivity ... No internet access. Media State ... Enabled

tHE OTHER BOX is wireless network connection status. Same details/no internet access.
  5. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Just run a trouble shooter on ethernet cable, and it says...
    The default gateway is not available ... not fixed
    The connection between your access point, router or cable modem to the internet is broken ... detected (yellow triangle box)

Just ran same troubleshooter on wireless connection and it says ...
    The default gateway is not available ... not fixed

:confused:

I'm off to work now, but will have another look at it when I get home.

Thanks
  6. spyder viewer

spyder viewer Moderator

Ratings:
    +842
    Never had the pleasure ;) of debugging a BT Homehub but I suspect that your router's firewall is blocking your computer. Don't the routers come with an install disk that you need to put into each of your networked pcs to set them up?

Don't know if you can access the router set up by the browser method or what the router's ip address is. Try opening a browser and typing http://192.168.0.1 into the address bar. Most routers will ask for the password to access the router setup utilities. Otherwise get out the original setup manual etc.
  7. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Cheers. Will have another look after work. strange that its worked for 4 months though and just decides it doesn't want to anymore! :confused:
  8. LJx

LJx Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
    You could try using system restore on your computer to a time when the adaptor worked, this has worked for me before when nothing else would, I have had similar problems with my wireless adaptor since installing SP1, I think is has something to do with windows services for me
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  9. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    OK, I just did a system restore back 4 weeks and the problem still remains ... yellow triangle on wireless bars. I've just troubleshooted all network adapters and its saying "problems found ... The default gateway not available .... not fixed!"

10. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    I have disabled the wireless connection and am using ethernet. Looking at the general local area connection status, it's saying...

CONNECTION

IPv4 Connectivity ... No internet access
    IPv6 Connectivity ... No internet access

Media State ... Enabled
    Duration ... 49 minutes (and counting)
    Speed ... 100.0mbps

ACTIVITY

sent ... 0
    received ... 34,450

Could this be where my problem is, and if so, does anyone know how to make these active, please?
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  11. Omegadiy

Omegadiy Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Have a look at internet options in control panel - make sure you have the correct LAN connectivity set up and that the automatic box is ticked as opposed to manual.
  12. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Yes it is Keith. I just ran a diagnosis again and it says ... the default gateway is not available... I don't know! :(
  13. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    I looked in Local Area properties ...
    IPv4 properties ...
    obtain an IPv4 automatically is ticked
    obtain DNS server address automatically is ticked ...

Advanced settings shows the DEFAULT GATEWAYS LIST BOX ...Which is empty!

Can this be the problem?
  14. LJx

LJx Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
    I think it is very strange that the ethernet is not working either. Get to a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" that should give people some info to go on, Also if you type 192.168.1.254 into your browser you will be able to access the router and see what the settings are
    Go to your LAN adaptor in network connections, right click it select properties go down to internet protocol V4, click it and check what the settings say

EDIT. It should all be automatic settings if you do not have a static IP
  15. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    I don't know how to get to a command prompt. :blush:

when i type those numbers into my browser and hit enter, it turns it into an http address and then won't let me get on internet.:confused:

internet protocol v4 properties has enabled "obtain an IP address automatically and obtain dns server address automatically.

Advanced from there is an IP address box which has got DHCP ENABLED in it, and another box below ... Default gateways, which is EMPTY :confused:

Thanks for your help, BTW! :thumbsup:
  16. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    I restored my computer to an earlier time and now it's given me another problem.... Internet still doesn't work, but it won't even let me get onto a web page, as, when I hit the internet explorer or chrome buttons, I get a popup saying

"iexplore.exe - system error

The program can't start because LPK.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

What thef???:mad: :mad: :mad:
  17. spyder viewer

spyder viewer Moderator

Ratings:
    +842
    Think you're going to have to repair Windows with your W7 disk.
  18. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Thank you. :)

When you say "repair" with my W7 disk, do you mean actually reinstall w7?

UPDATE: I can't start any programmes from my desktop, 'cos I'm getting this message... The program can't start because LPK.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." :(
  19. spyder viewer

spyder viewer Moderator

Ratings:
    +842
    The facility to repair W7 is somewhat limited but this site appears to indicate that you can do a re-install without affecting your files or settings. Repair Install - Windows 7

Goodluck!
  20. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    That is a brilliant link and in easy to understand steps ... perfect for me. The only thing is that I am unable to get onto the internet to get the "updates" that will enable me to choose the "upgrade windows 7 version" option.

I'll give it a try later anyway.

Thanks very much for all your help. :)
  21. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    This is turning into a nightmare. :mad:

I reinstalled W7, but it installed in in RECOVERY E: :confused: instead of O: :confused:

Now I have 2 installations and my RECOVERY E: is full.
    At boot-up, it's asking me which version I want to use to boot up (dual boot?) :confused: .. One version is knackered and won't let me use stuff, the other version looks like it's new, minus some of my programmes (touchscreen). However, it identified and went onto the internet straight away, without any questions.

Is there any way that I can get rid if that other (failed) W7 install (presumably the one in E:?

I tried to do a complete computer repair back to factory condition from the advanced boot menu, but it won't let me, saying that something is missing!!!

fackfack! :mad:

Any advice gratefully received as ever.
  22. spyder viewer

spyder viewer Moderator

Ratings:
    +842
    "It" didn't install windows into the E: drive, you did!
    Re-install W7 as before but put it in the c: directory.
    When all is working, open e: and delete windows files.

At least you have some indication that this should fix the problem!
  23. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    I did it! :eek:

Frigging hell! :( :blush: I just followed the prompts and pressed enter when it asked me to!

At least it now sounds like I can work my way out of this mess.

Thank you very much for your time :)
  24. Omegadiy

Omegadiy Member

Ratings:
    +149
    This is really great news. So glad you finally have a resolution. :clap: :thumbsup:
  25. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Not really Keith :(

I have 2 versions of Windows 7 on the computer... fairly crippled version, that when I boot up from it, won't let me access any programmes, because it displays a ---.dll message saying something is missing. The other version seems to be a fresh install and is working perfectly as far as I can see, although I have lost a couple of programmes, namely a touchscreen one, in particular. However, it had no problem at all recognising the internet connection and it now works normally.

I tried to revert the system back to a point a month ago, but the system says that I now have no points saved to revert to.

Then I got into F8 before the boot-up to try to revert back to shipping condition ... and it says that something is missing, and won't let me.

It won't now let me do an install. When I put in the W7 reinstall disk and choose my language and choose install type, and select Disk 0 Partition 3 OS (C: ) it says "Setup was unable to use the existing system partition because it does not contain the required free space."

However, it says TOTAL SIZE= 451.1GB
    FREE SPACE=405.8GB

I am completely screwed. I can't even use the W7 reinstall disk ... and I keep getting these pop-up messages saying that I am desperately low of space in E: (E:/ has only 4MB of disk space. To prevent information loss and performance problems. You need to free up disk space.

I am truly depressed! :(
  26. spyder viewer

spyder viewer Moderator

Ratings:
    +842
    Sorry CFC1, I interpreted your last post as "sorted"!

First, let's get rid of the dual boot:

Open up RUN (START, in the search box type RUN. When it finds the program RUN click on it). In the box type MSCONFIG click OK. Select the Boot tab. In the window, select the line Windows 7 (E:\Windows) or similar. Highlight this line only and click on Delete. Make sure you don't select the line with C:| etc in it. Click OK and the window will close.

That will stop the dual boot. Pop your W7 disk in the drive and re-start the machine. Re-install W7 on the c: drive.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  27. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Thanks for the help. I've done what you say and when I open the Boot tab, there are 2 lines:

Windows 7 (E:\Windows) : Current OS

Windows 7 (C:\Windows) : Default OS

If I highlight (E:\Windows) ... It doesn't give me the option to delete.... the buttons available are "Advanced options" and "Set as default"

If I highlight (C:\Windows) .... the buttons available are "Advanced" and "Delete" .. (already default)

:)

Presumably if I make E the default OS, this would then allow me to delete it???

And... when I start the computer, it gives me those two options to start up...

WINDOWS 7

WINDOWS 7

The top one is the one that I am on now, that has a fair bit of functionality (and the E: very low on memory message).

The bottom one is the crippled version that pops up a "can't do because KLL.ddl is missing" message everytime I click on a button. I can't actually do anything from my desktop with it.

If, they are in that order in MSCONFIG, then that's probably the order in the boot menu... so if I delete the top version (E:) then I will only be left with the crippled version that does frig all ... and even worse off than I am now. As it is, I can't use the W7 disk anyway! :confused:
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  28. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    I have just popped the W7 install disk into the drive and it won't autorun. I can hear it trying, but it just stops after 3 or 4 seconds and starts again, and stops ... now getting message "setup initialisation failed" :confused: It won't even try the installation process!
  29. CFC1

CFC1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Update to W7 disk ... message box now poopped up saying "The file autorun.dll could not be loaded or is corrupt. setup cannot continue. Error code is [ox3E7]" :confused: :(
  30. rorackowe

rorackowe Member

Ratings:
    +164
    (temporarily) you could try to use disk management to try and repartition your hard disk and enlarge the E partition.

Go to the start menu and type "computer management". It should come up at the top of the start menu. Click on it then in the program that opens go down to disk management.

Right click on the partition adjacent (to the left) of your E: partition and see if it will let you shrink it a few GB (10 should buy you some space, dieally 50 if you want a good working windows partition). Then right click on your E: partition and try to "extend partition" into the freed up space.

Can't remember if windows Disk management is this smart but there are other partition managers that can move partitions around in this way.