Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wind energy to power UK by 2020, government says

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by la gran siete, Dec 11, 2007.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,416
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/dec/10/politics

means tackling the Nimbys head on but shows the Governments serious commitment rather than Camerons's usual woolly rhetoric.
    Me thinks Browns is gradually putting in place a the building blocks for a resounding election victory in 2010:thumbsup:
  2. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,745
    Why don't they just put a small wind turbine in front of every politician's mouth...that should cover it...
  3. la gran siete

Ratings:
    +1,416
    :rotfl::rotfl::smashin:
  4. mjn

mjn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,534
    Blah blah, zzzzz......more talk, lets see some action.
  5. la gran siete

Ratings:
    +1,416
    2020 - plenty of time before our island is completely surrounded by turbines. I await to see how the gnashing Nimbys react throwing toys out of their prams. Pland to erect several turbines in Shoreham harbour( no beauty spot) were ditched after the locals howled
  6. maix27

maix27 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    They've also announced that all cars will be removed from the country and we will all get around on the back of swans.
  7. Dony

Dony Active Member

Ratings:
    +2,944
    Glad to hear it.

I don't see wind turbines being a blight on the landscape. To me they are more like graceful giants.

They remind me of the trees in Lord of the Rings!

I've never understood why the British Isles do not try to harness it's 2 much abundant resources, wind and water to create energy.
  8. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,416
    Complete ********. Wind power! Pffffffttt.
  9. geomuss

geomuss Member

Ratings:
    +178
    better still they are pushing for home microgenrators, create your own electricity.

neighbourhoods full of turbines. :rotfl:
  10. mjn

mjn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,534
    I wouldn't mind having my own electric supply from solar/wind, no more electric bills.
  11. geomuss

geomuss Member

Ratings:
    +178
    The conservatives want every home to have one, plug it into the grid and pay you, for them using your electricity.

Maybe pie in the sky but sounds good to me!
  12. dognosh

dognosh Member

Ratings:
    +69
    The Guardian report title is misleading as GB's initiative is to power every "Home" using Wind Talibans by 2020 not the whole of the UK;powering "Homes and Industry" would require many more Wind Turbans.

I am in agreement with this idea:thumbsup:
  13. mason

mason Member

Ratings:
    +101
    nothing wrong with that plan me thinks. 2020 isnt that far away- can they cut through all the red tape quick enough in order to meet that deadline? People will be out protesting over beautiful landscapes being ruined etc etc... what would they rather have, a dying planet or some movement towards saving it?

i dont see the fuss, just make the plans and get them up!

the same as solar power units- every house has a roof... so get them on too. if it saves paying for the electricity etc then all the better. I think the problem people see with this is the intial cost and the 'hastle factor'!
  14. blackrod

blackrod Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Now I might be wrong, but im sure I read somewhere that these big wind turbines really aren't very efficient and not cost effective. If that is the case then I don't want them blotting the landscape. If they are actually a very good source of renewable energy over tidal/solar/etc then fair enough get them built.

Surely there is a case for solar energy as some have said, every building in britain has a roof, is this not a untapped resource for solar energy without destroying our green and pleasant land?
  15. mason

mason Member

Ratings:
    +101
    if the wind turbines to get put up quick enough then new housing will spoil the land anyway!!

in my region it would apprear that every bit of so called 'green belt' has boards up advertising new homes coming soon.
  16. njp

njp Active Member

Ratings:
    +178
    It depends where they are sited. Many wind turbines are little more than green icons - especially small domestic ones which are almost always a waste of money. The amount of energy that can be extracted by any wind turbine (regardless of its efficiency) is proportional to the wind velocity cubed. The mere fact that the blades are rotating doesn't mean a turbine is producing useful amounts of power, or even enough to operate its control systems!

Offshore wind farms are generally by far the best way of deploying the technology.

Indeed. Solar thermal power for water heating is pretty much a no-brainer (unless the equipment is provided for an inflated price by a dodgy company making dodgy claims). Progress in solar cell technology is needed before useful amounts of electrical power can be generated at a reasonable price.

Energy efficiency improvements are even more important.
  17. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,416
    How about this. The government install one of those bike things (that produce electricity) into every house - one for every family member - hook it up to the national grid. Then whatever electricity you use, you have to give it back by way of cycling.

That'll soon stop people leaving lights on, keeping things on standyby and generally wasting electricity.

Not to mention that the crisis that this fat generation is facing will soon go away.

2 birds with 1 stone and all that.
  18. mjn

mjn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,534
    Just put all prisoners on exercise bikes.....
  19. deanym

deanym Member

Ratings:
    +106
    A great idea.
  20. paul1967

paul1967 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    1 of the major manufactures said on the radio that at the moment they cannot build them fast enough to keep up with the demand at the moment,without making enough to power every house by 2020.
  21. Miyazaki

Miyazaki Active Member

Ratings:
    +861
    Germany produce a huge amount of solar power which is far less intrusive than wind power stations and individuals with photo voltaic cells on their roofs can sell back the excess electricity to the national grid at a competitive rate.

That is the way forward IMO.
  22. Dony

Dony Active Member

Ratings:
    +2,944
    If people are clever enough to tap into other peoples electrical supply, it wouldn't be long before a small motor would be attached to the pedals and left running!!!!
  23. domtheone

domtheone Active Member

Ratings:
    +845
    Please god no:eek:

That thieving :censored: has taxed everyone to high heaven already:thumbsdow Couldn't stand another several years of it.

Generally in agreement to Wind Farms though:smashin:

Build them offshore if it's such an eyesoar to peeps.

I don't think they look that bad to be honest:rolleyes::D
  24. williemaykit

williemaykit Member

Ratings:
    +170
    I want to see it happen. It will be good for the country.
  25. The Dude

The Dude Active Member

Ratings:
    +262
    There's a big offshore farm at Great Yarmouth, in case anyone doesn't know.

It looks fine, it doesn't make any noise, it's even a tourist attraction to some degree. :)
    I hated the thing when I first saw it, but now it's 'normal' to see it there I don't mind it at all.

I'll take anything over the Selby cloud factories. :thumbsdow
  26. Wild Weasel

Wild Weasel Active Member

Ratings:
    +665
    Biggest con trick ever.

Each one has to be backed up by reliable sources of electricity generation - gas, coal and nuclear. The last two you can't just turn on and off at a whim either. Because wind farms are remote, you get huge transmission losses too.

Managing them is a complete nightmare because of the power surges you get due to the unreliable nature of the weather. On a still day you're screwed, on a stormy day they have to feather the blades to shut them down. It makes if impossible to plan supply for daily & seasonal peak loads like dinner time and half time in the cup final. In Ireland recently, the national grid refused to allow wind farms to produce more than 2% of supply for these very reasons. Despite UK engineers backing their corner, the Irish government caved into the lobbyists and introduced legislation to force them to take more wind farms onto the grid. Typical clueless politicians and now our lot are making the same ignorant mistake. I pity the National Grid here, I really do.

As for all the enviro-horsepoop about 'green power', just remember that China is currently building 562 coal-fired plants and India another 213.
  27. The Dude

The Dude Active Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Out of interest, whereabouts are you based?

Are there any big coal-fired power stations nearby?

I'm guessing the answer to the second question is no, unless maybe you work at one?

---

I don't know anybody who thinks either Drax, Eggborough, or Ferrybridge are anything other than eyesores blotting the otherwise beautiful landscape.

You can see them from 40 miles away, or rather the man-made clouds coming from the cooling towers.

I'm no 'greenie', but I do love the countryside.

I've visited Drax as a schoolkid, and it's horrid.
    I've worked at Eggborough, and it's just as horrid.

Nuclear power actually gets my vote, but then the very thought of it often offends people who don't live near coal-fired generators. ;)
  28. Dony

Dony Active Member

Ratings:
    +2,944
    24012007058.jpg

Took this pic a couple of weeks ago....standing underneath these things is quite eerie.....so big, but no noise.
  29. JagoUK

JagoUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +597
    If they can do it without taxing the hell out of us even more then im all for it :thumbsup: although i notice they have stated that they should put prices up to act as an incentive to energy companies :eek: the fact they wont have to pay for the wind is incentive enough for me! cheeky ******* :mad:

i dont think they are an eyesore but who cares if they are put out to sea anyway? very ambitious for all homes by 2020 but i say go for it if you can :thumbsup:

as for wind stability wont this cause weather implications? maybe for the better i do not know? as for being a steady stream of power due to the fact wind isnt always on.... well thats called development, we need to work on energy storage. same will be needed for solar energy.

its all a good idea and i dont see why we cant lead the world and get this sorted, electric cars and then we wont have to depend on the east!
  30. The Dude

The Dude Active Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Eyesore?

drax.jpg

Eyesore?

yarmouthscrobysandsT.jpg

Maybe we should start a poll? :)

- Ive actually been very kind to Drax with those two pics, they were the first two I found and I'm in a rush.