Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will future Blue-ray players play HD-DVD discs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by Fast Eddie, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Will future Blu-ray dvd players be able to play hd-dvd discs or is this a complete no-no. Just wondered how people with large collections of the now discontinued format will play their discs when their current hd-dvd players start failing in a few years time?
  2. kingfats

kingfats Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,844
    No,i would say.
    All the best mate.
  3. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,597
    Highly unlikely, there would be no commercial reasons for manufacturers to support a dead format. Most of us who have HD players have more than one for back up reasons & I would imagine in a year or twos time they might be quite a few on ebay.
  4. Rasczak

Rasczak Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,128
    I agree with the previous posts - as good as HD DVD was as a format it lost the format war and there is no benefit for any of the OEM or CE companies to pursue development/support for the format. In an ideal world Toshiba would have developed dual format players - but their announcement that they were dropping HD DVD left little room for misunderstanding - they were stopping all HD DVD development/production. It's disappointing but the likes of the XA2/XE1 are excellent HD DVD players that do a superb job with the software out there - either will see your collection perform well for many years.
  5. Marky1973

Marky1973 Active Member

Ratings:
    +311
    But if a dual drive can be put together for a HTPC, and as tech gets easier/cheaper to produce, I can see how it might be a good USP for a company that wants to tap into the user base of HD-DVD users, many of who will go BD in the future......

Of course, I doubt this will happen, but you can but dream
  6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,276
    The best chance is a Chinese made player as they often play everything. I believe the new Chinese HD format (CH-DVD) is backwards compatible with HD-DVD.

HD DVD is still around especially when people like me are spending lots of money on £3 discs.
  7. SATM

SATM Member

Ratings:
    +124
    Since Toshiba was heavily involved in the development/adoption of the HDDVD format in China,and their own players were made there,what is to stop them marketing a Chinese made player in the future?
  8. emthree

emthree Member

Ratings:
    +147
    I am not sure about the legalese of all this. When Toshiba bowed out of the competition, did they have to make it 'legal' is some sense that they won't sell HD players after a certain date or did they just quietly went into the financial sunset without any future obligations never to re-enter the market? Because of the inexpensive HD DVDs, there seem to be developing quite a formidable base for HD DVD fans and they may very well need players in future. If Chinese machines are backward compatible, what is to stop those getting into shops in Europe? And if that happens, perhaps studios will consider issuing HD DVDs in future, after the current obligations with Blu Ray expire? i.e. if it is all money driven, then HD DVD may find it financially feasible and find a way to re-enter from the back, so to speak:thumbsup:
  9. Rsaeire

Rsaeire Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Even with all the HD-DVDs being bought recently from consumers, myself included, I doubt that the studios will look into the prospect of releasing movies in the future on the format, especially given the fact that all we've seen are fire sale priced HD-DVDs being snapped up. It wouldn't be a logistically viable option for the studios to release HD-DVD movies again and I am sure the BDA would ensure it doesn't happen too.
  10. emthree

emthree Member

Ratings:
    +147
    This is what I am not clear about. Do BDA have legal clout to prevent this? I know studios have signed up but isn't that a time limited contract?
  11. Rsaeire

Rsaeire Member

Ratings:
    +33
    I am referring to undisclosed terms that would not be transparent to the public. We all know it goes on, just look at the incentives studios were "supposedly" receiving for moving from Blu-ray to HD-DVD and vice versa, so I wouldn't be surprised if the BDA were involved in ensuring their sole position in the HD optical storage market.

In addition, Toshiba have no doubt learnt their lesson and will remain away from any future HD optical storage endeavours for the foreseeable future and remain focused on their upscaling Cell chip and HD content on flash memory.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Drongo

Drongo Active Member

Ratings:
    +365
  13. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,276