Wii + Joytech component switch problem

lyndley

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've bought Joytech 245c component switch and am having a few issues with it.

I have a PS2, XBox 1 and Wii going into it and it's outputting to a LCD TFT.

PS2 & XBox work fine but the with the Wii I'm getting a fast left/right flicker on very white screens in 480p. This affects the main Wii OS screen and the Wii store, Zelda seems to run fine due to it being quite dark and this flicker only occurs in 480p, not in 480i or 576i.

I've uploaded a youtube video showing the problem here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpDGB84Truo

Unfortunately due to it flickering quite fast it doesn't look so bad in that video though if you look carefully you can see the problem on the main OS page there, also when I go to the photo channel and load up red/green/blue/white screens you can see a massive distortion on the white which is accompanied by loads of left/right wobble/flicker.

I've phoned Joytech and the engineer told me they're aware of the problem and that it's caused by Nintendo pushing encryption down the cable (???), they've said that almost all component switches will be affected by this so presumably the Joytech 240c and 540c are also affected. I've also read of someone with a Psyclone PSC01 switch box having this same issue so it's definitely not just a Joytech thing.

Dunno I don't see a way round this, I only have one component input on my telly so I guess the Joytech has to go back until such time as a solution is found and I have to switch away from Wii component

Bugger. :thumbsdow

Although it seems to not be consistent, this is not the first time someone with a 245C has had this issue, and it is well known with the 540C. Nobody has managed to find out what the magic ingredient is yet that leads to this problem.

Interesting I'm using a Madcatz one, you're suggesting it may be a fault with the cable rather than then switch box?

No, just thought I'd put in that I'm using an official one instead of just putting a component cable then you ask if I'm using an official or 3rd party one, then me posting that I'm using an official one :D

I had the flickering screen problem when using the composite lead through the 540c, as soon as I tried the component cable (Official :D ) it worked fine.

I also use a cheap play-asia component splitter reversed from the 540c to my TV and projector.

Just had a chat with Joytech again, they say they only have official cables and they see the problem with those. Again there were mutterings about encryption, to which I was asking if it wasn't just that the 245c is unable to cope with being maxed out on all the colour channels or something. I dunno I'm sure they know more about all this than I do, it's just... encryption over component??

There is no such thing as encryption over component....

I had a 245c from gameplay but had to send it back due to poor picture quality (ghosting and dim picture).

I have heard a few people on these forums have been unhappy with the picture quality with their 540c and some say they are great. (see Xbox360 forum).

Think they have major quality issues with these units, some are ok some are faulty its just pot luck, if it was a known problem with the 540c why is mine ok?

The only fault with my 540c is the xbox360 picture using the dedicated 360 input, the picture is slightly darker but not really a major problem for me.

and thats enough waffling on for me today... :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom