Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wifes left me and she gets the TV!

Discussion in 'Which TV Should I Buy?' started by frenchja, Jul 20, 2009.

1. frenchja

frenchja Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a new TV and a little confused reading through all the threads which to go for. My mind is mush with all the stress so I really need some guys in the know :) I hope you don't mind but I will just list them as questions below to remain clear :)

1. LCD or Plasma? LCD seems to be more widely pushed and keen on price.
    2. I have read if you have a 32" LCD 1080p is not required or even noticed on this size. Not sure if I am going for a 32" or 37" yet, depends on the house I am moving to
    3. 100hz, is it really needed? I watch TV, watch a lot of movies and play XBOX, Wii etc
    4. Which TVs are any good upto £500 though would prefer to stay closer to £400, separations are expensive you know :(

I think that is it. I appreciate your time guys ;)

By the way I am looking on Amazon as their prices seem pretty amazing compared to Comet and Hughes.

Take care,

J
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. welloiledtool

welloiledtool Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear about your news! Take some posatives from it you can get yourself a nice new TV with a pretty good specification for around that budget.

I myself am in the market for a TV. Around the £500.00 to £600.00.

Here are a few TV's to get you started, there LCD by the way, Just my opinion I'm sure there will be plenty more posters who will chip in.

PHILIPS 32PFL7403D £349.95 Richersounds

PANASONIC TXL32X15 £409.95 Richersounds

PANASONIC TXL32S10B£459.95 Richersounds

SONY KDL37S5500 £499.95 Richersounds

I am personally looking at the Sony KDL32W5500U which is getting some nice reviews. See my post (link below).

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...x-l32g10b-sony-kdl32w5500u-advice-please.html

Regards

Charlie
  3. frenchja

frenchja Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks my friend I will have a look at them all. anybody have any answers to my questions?
  4. frenchja

frenchja Member

Ratings:
    +2
    any other suggestions?
  5. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    If you watch a lot of TV and movies I would personally go for the Panasonic P37X10 plasma which can be had for a good price on Amazon - Panasonic TX-P37X10B 37-inch Widescreen HD Ready Plasma: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo It's great for gaming too. What are the vieiwng conditions? (lighting, vieiwng angles etc...)

LCD is more widely pushed by stores etc...because there's more market for it as it's largely aimed for the mass market, that's not saying it's bad of course, it certainly has it's pros against plasma technology, but I would personally say that a plasma at your price point will give you a better picture to an LCD, for your uses especially. Plasmas also look poorer in store due to the excessive lighting, which is where LCDs look best. If you're going to be vieiwng in bright lighting then get an LCD, but if the room is anything but 'shop bright' or even better if you watch it in dim lighting, then plasmas get much better there.
  6. frenchja

frenchja Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Just had a look at the panasonic online and looks like a nice tv. I thought plasma was dead hence why lcd tvs are so popular! I noticed that this tv is not 1080p, should that be a concern if I am going doing the blue ray route, seems like we will all one day!
    Viewing conditions are hard to tell as I haven't moved into the property yet. I think the TV will be by some patio doors, so could be bright.

Appreciate your time

Jamie

7. frenchja

frenchja Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Amazon are doing this for £399 Toshiba Regza 32RV635DB
  8. siteguru

siteguru Member

Ratings:
    +9
    +1 for that Toshiba ... I have one and think it's the mutt's danglies. :)
  9. boxrick

boxrick Active Member

Ratings:
    +304
    Imho the fact this screen is not 1080p is irrelevant, if i was looking at <40" myself the only screen i would consider unless i was going to be using it in *very* bright conditions or a pc monitor would be a Panasonic 37X10.

Plasma is far from dead in the UK in particular Plasmas are doing pretty well still a strong market here. Perhaps it is because more of us value a good picture :smashin:.

I prefer Plasmas due to the fact how well they handle motion, no detioration from viewing angles, good black levels and the very natural picture they provide.

Id go for the TXP37X10! :thumbsup:
  10. Curry Monster

Curry Monster New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    +1

Plasma is still the best display technology
  11. frenchja

frenchja Member

Ratings:
    +2
    cheers for the help my friend, but could you expand on why it is irrelevant that the tv is 1080p please? Surely if I am going to be connecting HD sources in like blue ray, ps3 ... the 1080p is required otherwise you wouldn't benefit truly? Is there a point buying a tv that is already out of date? I don't have a real understanding hence why I ask, its a lot of money to me so want to make sure I get this right :)

I found this comment from the following website:

Panasonic TXP37X10/TXP37X10B &#038; TXP42X10/TXP42X10B Launched

The Panasonic X10 series are only HD ready, which means that these plasma TVs do not have a native screen resolution of 1920 x 1080. While this would not concern viewers who watches mainly standard-def programmes, those who have access to a lot of full HD content (such as Blu-ray 1080p/24 playback from a Sony PS3) should probably opt for a true HD model to achieve 1:1 pixel mapping for optimal fine detail presentation.

12. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    To be honest, unless you're under 5 feet away (if that) you wont see the difference at all on a 720p set over a 1080p one, you will benefit more from black levels, colours and motion handling than resolution. Remember, more pixels doesn't make a better picture!
  13. nickfrog

nickfrog Member

Ratings:
    +60
    Depending on viewing distance of course, being HD (720p) rather than 1080p can be a good thing. For SD sources in particular as a 720p is often better at displaying 480 than a 1080p.
    Conversely, most HD source are 720p so you get perfect pixel matching on that.

Besides, you can't see the benefits of 1080p over a certain distance. On a 42 you need to be under 8ft away for instance (or under 7ft on a 37incher).

Not to mention the difference in price.

Plasma remains the enthousiast's choice in most cases.
  14. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Actually you don't, it seems like you should, but you don't. The 37" X10 has a resolution of 1024x720, 720p is technically 1280x720 (I think that's it...)
  15. frenchja

frenchja Member

Ratings:
    +2
    cheers guys I will defo give it some thought, I might have to go for a 32" anyway due to room size so that rules out plasma. Shall see on thursday when I go and look at the place.

Just to add it looks like its between

if I go small it seems Toshiba Regza 32RV635DB for cost and quality unless anyone has a better rival?

if I go big and plasma Panasonic TXP37X10 or the S10 if I can stretch
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  16. richolmes72

richolmes72 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    720p is technically 'Anything x 720'.

Plasma v LCD is not a clear debate, there are pros and cons for each.

Plasma is more reflective, uses more power, can (though rarely) get image retention, not as bright as LCD

BUT Plasma has much better blacks and produces more natural colours and better for Standard Definition viewing.

For me, LCD was the clear choice because I use it as a PC monitor and play lots of games, a lot of my viewing is also in HD already, all in a bright living room.

For my parents who watch freeview and DVD's and rarely plug in any HD device then a 720p plasma was the best bet.
  17. frenchja

frenchja Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Correct me if I am wrong though wouldn't a plasma be better for gaming due to better response times? Whats wrong with using a plasma as a monitor? I might have to plug my laptop in to the tv to stream some divx.

18. Curry Monster

Curry Monster New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    This IS correct and as for being 720p most if not all new plasmas will accept 1080p and down scale accordingly - but even a 768line screen (panasonic) will give an amazing picture from 1080i/1080p and certainly gives a better picture than the equivalent 1080p LCD
  19. simuk84

simuk84 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I would imagine (though by no means certain) using a plasma as a monitor might be riskier because of image retention caused by displaying still desktop backgrounds and windows and such, although I think newer plasmas don't suffer badly anymore.
  20. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Well yes, but I can't think of anything which is 1024x720 native...which was the point I was making, the TV will still have to do some scaling.

For gaming both technologies have pros and cons, there is potential IR with plasmas, but is only really a concern for big gamers and potential phosphor trailing issues, although most people don't notice it. They do have better response times/motion handling though, and input lag is often lower due to less extra processing, although this is model specific. Black levels are also good for gaming, so you can catch those people hiding in dark corners!

But if the OP has to go for an LCD then plasma is ruled out anyway, unless you can find a 32PG6000
  21. phillyctr

phillyctr Member

Ratings:
    +117
    mate i know how you feel my wifes still got the house,kids and the samsung lcd,i have a thomson in a ****** flat.i feel your pain:(
  22. frenchja

frenchja Member

Ratings:
    +2
    cheers dude, it does hurt and wouldn't wish it on anyone. I have been lucky that I have come out with something as it was her doing and I have great access to the kids, still not as much as I want but it makes the time you do have with them even more special.

They are like me and we love our films, hence forking out for a TV.

I hope it gets better for you my friend, life really can chuck you some curve balls hey!

23. frenchja

frenchja Member

Ratings:
    +2
    viewing distances of screens.

Comet have a guideline on their website and I will just measure from the sofa to tv, any other thoughts?
  24. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I personally think that you should sit double the screen size away from the TV for HD viewing (so 100" from a 50" TV) or three times the screen size for SD vieiwng (so 150" from a 50"), there is of course room for argument, and you can sit a bit closer in both cases, but I think that covers it pretty well.

I would recommend putting in some/more HD vieiwng as a possibility for the future though, so you might want to get something a bit bigger than some of the guides say
  25. frenchja

frenchja Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Right, just been round to see the rented property and I think it would be safe to stick to a 32".

So I need to find a LCD 1080p TV, I want to go with full HD as it surely must make a difference when I connect my PS3.

So I need to seriously look at what is suitable and where!
  26. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I doubt you will see an improvement from 1080p on a 32" screen unless you're under 2 or 3 feet away, which just isn't healthy! So don't rule out the 32" HD ready sets, but you will find that all the decent 32" LCDs are 1080p anyway, although not necessarily in your price range.

Just to throw in some options, all with their own pros and cons, here's a few I would say are your best bet;
    LG 32LH4000
    LG 32LH5000
    Sony 32V5500
    Samsung LE32B550
    Panasonic L32X10
    Panasonic L32X15

Take a look at them and see what catches your eye, there are a few more available for a tad over £500, somewhere around the £550-£600 mark, but you might not want to push the budget given your unfortunate situation
  27. frenchja

frenchja Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers and very true money has to be saved though I don't like wasting it and having to buy a 1080p later on. I understand what you are saying that on a 32" I probably wont notice it, just niggles me.

I favour the Panasonic over LG or Samsung, sorry.

Out of the three TV's it has to be the Panasonic

X10 £379.99
    X15 £409.99
    S10 £479.99

The X10 is good value and would the 100hz be beneficially on the X15 and can I justify the S10 price though have 1080p, hmmmmmm.

I will be buying a PS3 and watching lots of movies and tv will be through freeview only.

Decisions decisions
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  28. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    You wont benefit much from 100Hz unless you're watching sports really, it gives a slightly artificial look to the image so I'd rather have slight (very slight on the Panasonics) blurring instead of artificial-ness, and many people agree. So that's not great when you're watching movies and TV, particularly movies where you want to be immersed in the experience.
  29. frenchja

frenchja Member

Ratings:
    +2
    We have had Philips 100hz philips crt tv for years and I know what you mean by artificial.

I just want tv that will give a great picture whilst playing PS3, watching blu-ray and SD movies and freeview.

Its a shame that I can' fit a 37" plasma, the room is an awkward one.

So are we saying the X10 or S10? Or are there any others in the running. I like the look of panasonics, some of the others can look to glitzy if you know what I mean.

30. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Compare the two sets here - Products - Compare Products - UK & Ireland

I haven't seen the two next to each other but going by that the S10 has better black levels, better processing and a few more connectivity options, although it seems that all the differences are fairly minor and it really comes down to whether you need 1080p or not. It's hard to say which will be better though, the improved processing on the S10 might give a better picture, but it might not!