Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you have to pay for TOM TOM Maps?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Nav & Dash Cam Forum' started by dancemb, May 18, 2008.

1. dancemb

dancemb Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I connected up my tomtom device today, and was quite surprised that I had to actually pay to download new maps to my Tom Tom ONE.

Why do they make you pay? I Would have thought that as I bought this, then there should be somewhere that you get new maps for free?
  2. KelvinHT

KelvinHT Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,

from my experience (TT910) you have a 1 years free download for map adjustments with the installed map data on the device. When a new version of the map data is release the only way to get this updated for free is if you have purchased device with old data that is after the release date of the new data (that’s a fight to get).
  3. KeithO

KeithO Member

Ratings:
    +217
    You mean the same way shops used to just give you a free copy of the 2008 European Atlas just because you'd bought a copy of the 2007 Atlas? :rolleyes: :)

As KelvinHT pointed out, you do get upgrades for some period of time after purchase, but after this you have to purchase them. By the way, I don't think it's only Tomtom...I think all satnav companies charge for new maps.
  4. dancemb

dancemb Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I wouldnt mind if I only needed an update once a year, but the charge of a whopping £40 is a bit excessive in my mind! I wouldnt mind paying around £10-£15, but at that cost I think they are charging too much money for the new map downloads, as they dont even need to supply a CD or anything, so the digital download should cut down on costs a great deal!
  5. KeithO

KeithO Member

Ratings:
    +217
    Did you always buy a new Atlas every year? I know I didn't...roads just don't change that much in most urban areas (unless you live in Brataslvia or somewhere!)

I update my TT maps of Europe once every couple of years...no need for anything more frequent. However, the maps of FL I have I update every time a new release comes out, as the areas I visit are changing very rapidly and new roads are being added all the time.

You pays your money and makes your choice! I would prefer it if TT found some way to indicate exactly what had changed in each map release, but that might be difficult.

Btw I don't think TT offer new maps any more frequently than once a year. And the cost of the maps is WAY more than the cost of a CD 9which itself is only pence) - TT have to pay their suppliers for the data after all.
  6. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,624
    You can get an idea on specific roads/locations by checking TeleAtlas data as they supply the map data to TomTom.

The buy out by TomTom has just been approved so we can only hope that things improve. The time taken by TeleAtlas to update is beyond a joke & they appear to completely ignore reports of errors. :thumbsdow
  7. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +969
    Im using maps from about 4 years ago and still never have any problems. A friend of mine has the very latest TT maps and a round-about down the road from me which was built about 3 years back has still not been added to the maps. So all in all, unless you are a professional driver (taxi, truck, etc) i really dont think its worth updating that often - maybe just once every 2-3 years? but i guess it depend on where you live/drive too.
  8. Mikelowry

Mikelowry Member

Ratings:
    +2
    So I carnt expect the new roads junctions from the m62 that join the a1 to be on there yet? that is anoying everytime I go to work, in aberdeen, the tom tom is lost for a while while im driving through there.
  9. kevcfc

kevcfc Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Think yourself lucky, Garmin map updates are around £70:eek:

Now I would probably pay up to about £30 - £35, but there's no way on this earth I'm paying £70 to update maps on a device you can buy brand new for less than £100:thumbsdow
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. dancemb

dancemb Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I think that map updates should be pegged to around £20, then it would only be a bit more than you would expect to pay for a big book map for the whole of england, but paying these costs at £35 and then even £70 in the case of Garmin is just extraordinarily expensive, when its a digital download for each device, im sure they could limit the cost, at least a little bit?
  11. mszarei

mszarei Member

Ratings:
    +0
    By reading here and there, most brands seem to update there maps every 4/5 years so technically if you want to upgrade your map one/two year after purchasing your SatNav, you'll most likely re-purchase what you paid for in the beginning! Personally I don't see any radical changes to road routes over here in Leeds and assume the same for most of the country, maybe the odd newly constructed road to the newly built complex or whatever, but nothing major to invalidate the current map in most GPS devices in the market. Overall, it's just a waste of money unless your device is 4+ years old, to which I suggest a new device over a map upgrade!
  12. Kong

Kong Member

Ratings:
    +2
    hey guys, only recently got myself a tomtom one, connected it to my pc today and managed to update the maps on it for free.
    Is the free update only available once?
    And does this mean that if I want to update the maps on my tomtom in the future I will have to pay?
    thanks in advance
  13. _Dragon_

_Dragon_ Member

Ratings:
    +36
    When you buy new maps they are not new new because it takes time to build the maps.

I had a old go300 i never updated the map and it allways got to where i wanted to go,Ok a couple of times there was new road layouts where it would off been good to have a new map,But it didn't matter because the go300 found another way for me to go

Forget about using a tomtom and go back to the old ways when it was just a paperback map,How many times did you buy a map? Did your map help you get to the right place?
  14. eddiewood

eddiewood Active Member

Ratings:
    +978
    TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Products
  15. Martinho76

Martinho76 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    When you buy a new tomtom its covered under the latest map guarantee. This gets you one free map update any time in your first 30 days of connecting. After that you have to pay for updates. Tomtom are doing quarterly updates at the moment and £8 per quarter although you have to sign up for a full year.

You also get 12 months access to map share which is user changes.
  16. _Dragon_

_Dragon_ Member

Ratings:
    +36

What do you mean,You get it all the time its ongoing:)
  17. Martinho76

Martinho76 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  18. michle

michle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wnat cheaper GPS maps? Check the PolNav Map, one year free upgrade and only 60% of sales price for upgrade after one year. What's more, sales price for American map is only $39.99:clap::clap::clap:
  19. Septimus82

Septimus82 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hijack this post but it's kind of related.

I had a Navigon 8110 that was stolen and the insurance company could only replace it with Tomtom or Garmin's top of the range models. However with the 8110 I got free map updates for life but from what I've just read in this topic am I right in saying TT charge £40 for a new map :confused:

If so what do Garmin charge, I won't be receiving the replacement until Thursday so I still have time to change my mind.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  20. Time

Time Member

Ratings:
    +7
    £80.99 for North America
    £99.99 for Europe
    £110.99 for Europe and North America

for 4 updates a year for life.
    Or £72.99 for a one off update.

But there is a slight problem in that these are updates i.e. if you pay for the Europe and North America update but don't have the North America map on your device then you will be driving blind if you decide to travel accross the pond.
  21. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan Active Member

Ratings:
    +318
    I've been a London taxi driver for the past 37 years (I was the youngest when I passed through the Knowledge Of London at the time) and I've only just changed my second set of ordinary maps after 18 years and the changes were not that great (apart from the addition of the Docklands, and that isn't that big) but we have just bought the Tom Tom 530....gave it to wifey, will stick to my new maps. The Tom Tom got her to friends of ours who live near Milton Keynes without any problems. By the way Geographers are the best maps imo. :lesson:
  22. Vinny2

Vinny2 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine has the very latest TT maps and a round-about down the road from me which was built about 3 years back has still not been added to the maps. So all in all, unless you are a professional driver (taxi, truck, etc) i really dont think its worth updating that often - maybe just once every 2-3 years? but i guess it depend on where you live/drive too.[/QUOTE]

My lane is still shown as a through road after 2 years and sat nav'ers still come down it only to get stuck. At the same time 2 roundabouts nearby were added before they were completely built and finished!. Lottery?
  23. scezy

scezy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know anyone who pays for their maps after their initial satnav purchase.There are plenty of places and information out there to get the maps.And they are very simple to install.
    Scezy
  24. Simon Gardner

Simon Gardner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Since I’ve just got a TomTom (a gift) and upgraded the map under the 30 day guarantee and a road I want to go to which has existed for at least three years, STILL isn’t there, I don’t think I’m going to bother paying for any map upgrades in a a hurry.
  25. trucker ron

trucker ron Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a tom tom 720 with europe on then had to pay £39 foe eastern europe, That would be fine but i went down our main road A% that had been open over three years it showed me driving through a feild.
    As a lorry driver i thought by not buying cheap £258.00 plus £39.00 i was buying a sat nav that was suposed to give you map updates.
    I and sevral other drivers reported this problem but its still the same.
    I have found many roads in uk that have been open years but tom tom still send you down side roads. It was the same abroad i got to hockenheim Germany on way into poland sat nav goes of some 25 miles befor crossing and many roads you can take.
    same when i got into poland i had done around 15 miles befor it would work some 10 miles of route.
    It was just a dead area if you buy a map for just a few pounds not hundreds and found roads not been added you would take it back for refund as anyone tried to get some sense out of tom tom wasting time only intrested in taking as much money as possable.
    Same as camera updates nothing cheap uk £19 europe £39 plus weston europe.
    After updating had so many problems i now dont update so i can still use my sat nav.
    my wife just decided this week to update her tom tom one xl and cannot get any GPS signal wont let her back up and try as she may to get in touch with tom tom but just get sent back to more of same qestions.
    So she is now looking to buy a garmen fed up being ripped of by tom tom befor update it worked fine i wonder if this is just another way of getting money back as for free map updates for life what a joke cant get up to date maps when they are new beware dont get ripped of like i feel i have
    Ron:lease:
  26. trucker ron

trucker ron Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a tom tom 720 with europe on then had to pay £39 foe eastern europe, That would be fine but i went down our main road A% that had been open over three years it showed me driving through a feild.
    As a lorry driver i thought by not buying cheap £258.00 plus £39.00 i was buying a sat nav that was suposed to give you map updates.
    I and sevral other drivers reported this problem but its still the same.
    I have found many roads in uk that have been open years but tom tom still send you down side roads. It was the same abroad i got to hockenheim Germany on way into poland sat nav goes of some 25 miles befor crossing and many roads you can take.
    same when i got into poland i had done around 15 miles befor it would work some 10 miles of route.
    It was just a dead area if you buy a map for just a few pounds not hundreds and found roads not been added you would take it back for refund as anyone tried to get some sense out of tom tom wasting time only intrested in taking as much money as possable.
    Same as camera updates nothing cheap uk £19 europe £39 plus weston europe.
    After updating had so many problems i now dont update so i can still use my sat nav.
    my wife just decided this week to update her tom tom one xl and cannot get any GPS signal wont let her back up and try as she may to get in touch with tom tom but just get sent back to more of same qestions.
    So she is now looking to buy a garmen fed up being ripped of by tom tom befor update it worked fine i wonder if this is just another way of getting money back as for free map updates for life what a joke cant get up to date maps when they are new beware dont get ripped of like i feel i have
    Ron:lease:
  27. js474

js474 New Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Well I suppose they have to somehow recoup the millions & millions of pounds they've invested to bring satnav to everyone, including the cost of satellite equipment and the salaries of the staff who design the software & keep the maps coming?
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  28. marcofoo

marcofoo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Wait!!!

TomTom have a map sale every January. If my memory serves me right they gave 30% off all maps last year. The promotion lasted around a month. :thumbsup:
  29. rogercr

rogercr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If F & H can bring out a complete sat nav unit for under £40 then the £40 or whatever for just downloading a map must virtually be all profit for Tom Tom and the like. It can be compared with the replacement branded inks for your printer. In my case about £60.00 for a set of Epson ink cartridges or £5.00 for compatible sets. I've heard you can get free downloads for your sat navs if you search the web? We are not allowed to say ordinary people are being ripped off but it's more than just greed. We live in a very sick world.
  30. wongataa

wongataa Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Well as the ink prices subsidise the loss leader hardware this is not true for printers. I suspect it could well be the same for sat navs.