Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't I play DVD mpeg2 data files on my Panasonic DMR-EZ27

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by Vaddi, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Vaddi

Vaddi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - perhaps someone can help me. I want to play/view mpeg2 files that I have copied from my computer onto a DVD as data files. I cannot view these files on my expensive Panasonic DMR-EZ27 or on my Samsung DVD VR-330. AND YET I can watch them easily on really cheap (own brand, Proline, Wharfdale etc) DVD players costing under £20 from various large electrical retailers. In order to view these files on my Panasonic I have to spend hours converting them (using Nero) into movie VOB files. Is there no way I can save all this time converting DVR-MS files I have recorded on my computer to DVD Video files, when I can simply convert the DVR-MS into mpeg2 files in a few seconds?
    Any help or advice please?:lease:
  2. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,247

Welcome to the forum.

The reason for these limitations is complex, but they largely reside in the activities of various interest groups, including manufacturers, pursuing their own ends.
    The reason cheap devices will play these things is because they usually originate from manufacturers in territories who do not belong to the DVD Forum and associated bodies.

MPEG2 is the de facto file standard for DVD... and in formal DVD forum terms to meet the standards they must be formatted [ authored] into the standard DVD form.

Unfortunately there is no way around this.
    If a machine does not support raw MPEG2, there is nothing can be done to make it do so.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. andy1249

andy1249 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    Players than can play ( in other words have the firmware to read and play ) data files are available for very little these days, but as you know , not all players can do this and if there is no firmware to upgrade any player that cant then its stuck as is.

For a player to read a disc like a standard DVD ROM there is a specific file naming convention and structure to adhere to ,

See here

DVD File System Specifications

In addition blank discs come in various formats , DVD-R DVD + R , DVD RAM , and so on , and you must choose the format that is compatible with each player you have.
  4. Vaddi

Vaddi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds quite complicated but - Thanks for taking time to reply.
    Vaddi
  5. Vaddi

Vaddi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your detailed reply - Guess the only thing I can do is to connect a small cheap DVD player to my TV as well as my Panasonic, then when I want to watch TV programs I have recorded on my computer I can. Most times I record TV using DVDs in the Panasonic - but occasionally when programs clash I use Windows Media Centre in my computer. Then I use DVRMSToolbox to convert them from DVR-MS files to mpeg2. (which takes a few seconds) then burn onto a DVD as data files. many thanks again - Vaddi
  6. STdrez625

STdrez625 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Just to Rake up the ashes, and to prove that these companies have their own heads well up their arses, I have both a Philips DVD player and a Philips DVD recorder.. I bought the dvd recorder thinking that it would be able to do everything the player can do PLUS record..(thus selling on the DVd player) especially as its a more recent & expensive machine,
    However the player will play "raw" mpg2 on Data DVD's whereas the Recorder will not, also the recorder is inferior as a playback machine. I particularly wanted to be able to play back mpeg2 files from an external hard disk thru the usb2.0 port, as mpeg2 stutters when played thru usb1.1 on the player. Sadly not to be.
    And this was after much poring over specs such as speed of usb port, ability to record from external devices.. it just goes to show NEVER take anything for granted. :mad:
    And now philips want me to buy an electric tooth brush and a mechanized arse wiper? No thanks! :suicide: