1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White, Grey or Glass Bead

Discussion in 'Projector Screens' started by bp2411, Jan 23, 2012.

1. bp2411

bp2411 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I am hoping to order a new screen asap I currently have a 84" panoview manual white screen, there is nothing wrong with it but I want an electric screen.

I have been looking at these 2 sellers on ebay & amazon

platinum147 and Platinum Home Cinema which I am guessing is the same company.

Has anyone used these before?

Now I need to decide between white, grey & glass bead. Like I said I currently have a white screen and it is fine but if I would benefit from a grey or g/b screen I will get one of them.

My pj is a optoma hd700x and I sit 10 feet away from the screen and will be using it for blu-rays and dvds which will be upscaled also 3d blu-rays if this makes a difference.

Also does anyone know if those screens come with triggers or is it something I have to add-on

thank you and I apologise for having a couple of threads if it is against the rules.
  2. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,821
    Don't get a glass bead they are bad for hot spotting and narrow viewing angle.

White is best for batcave situations and grey if your décor is light walls ceilings etc or want to get better blacks and contrast.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. bp2411

bp2411 Member

Ratings:
    +5
  4. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,821
    The grey will be better for you and you should see better blacks and contrast than with your white screen.
  5. Hammond93

Hammond93 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Yes - same company - I've used them - I got the tab-tension version - its great.
    Great customer service too.

Doesn't have a trigger tho.

Cheers,
    Marcus
  6. bp2411

bp2411 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    is it possible to add a trigger?
  7. Hammond93

Hammond93 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure, as I've never used one, but I don't see a connection for a trigger.
  8. bp2411

bp2411 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks all for your replies I ended up getting an 84" grey electric version it arrived today can't wait to get it set up.
  9. HMMurdock

HMMurdock New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    eek, stay away from glass beaded. They are being phased out by major brands like Da-Lite right now. They flake, are hard to clean and have been surpassed by more recent surfaces in terms of quality for intended image.
  10. One more thing

One more thing Member

Ratings:
    +9
    What the screen like, sounds really cheap? Be interested to hear how the grey screen performs..
  11. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk Member

Ratings:
    +26
    How is your screen going?
  12. bp2411

bp2411 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I haven't put it up yet im in the middle of doing my living room which is where the projector is going and it's taking longer than I expected, I will report back once it's up and running.
  13. NorvernRob

NorvernRob Active Member

Ratings:
    +467
    I got one of these screens a few days ago and am using it with an Optoma HD67n.

First thing to point out, there is 1 wall mounting point either side (a standard keyhole hook and drop type) but I would never in a million years trust the screws that come with it. They're only around 35mm long and you need to leave a good 10-15mm sticking out of the wall to hook the mounts onto.

I used much thicker 50mm screws instead which meant I had to slighly enlarge the 'U' section of the keyhole mounts to enable them to slide in. This was easily done by carefully shaving them with a sharp stanley knife.

Other than that the screen is great so far, the motor is smooth and quiet and it produces a really nice picture. I'll take some pics the next time I use it.

Rob
  14. One more thing

One more thing Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Any idea why the pricing is so random on Platinum 147 eBay site? Some screens are like £1000 and some £100 for Same screen??
  15. TheGoog

TheGoog Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Would this work hung from the ceiling by chains?
  16. bp2411

bp2411 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    are you sure they are the same and not tab tensioned
  17. NorvernRob

NorvernRob Active Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Yes it would, sorry I forgot to mention there are 2 hanging rings built into the casing so suspending it from a ceiling won't be a problem.
  18. NorvernRob

NorvernRob Active Member

Ratings:
    +467
    I've just had a look, and their premium tab tensioned screens range from £230 to £2300 but I can't see any differences in the descriptions, the ads are identical.

They have a 100" for £290 and a 100" for £999 and I can't see any difference other than the cheaper is white and the other grey (but they have an 84" grey listed at £250 so that can't be the reason for the difference)

Maybe i'm missing something obvious, but a TT 100" electric screen for less than £300 looks a real bargain.
  19. One more thing

One more thing Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Has anyone here bought a TT screen from platinum? Wondered just how bad the build quality and screen material must be to be sold that cheap?