1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which speakers for Marantz M-CR502 system?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by stuart_haydn, Aug 11, 2009.

1. stuart_haydn

stuart_haydn Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I haven't got much space, and want small bookshelf speakers that could be placed against a wall. I don't mind if they haven't got a lot of bass. The M-CR502 as 4 25W channels so if you don't bi-amp you can get 2 X 50W.

I wondered whether the DALI Lektor 1s would be good. I like small size compared to other cheaper speakers, but would they be 'too good' for the Marantz, i.e. bring little noticeable improvement over say the Custom F1? At £240 the Lektors are 2/3 of cost of the Marantz.

An even smaller speaker I saw was the Roth Audio OLi1, they don't even have a bass reflex port. Would these be 'not good enough' for the Marantz?

I don't much experience of Hi-Fi but I'am aware that you need to match the quality of the different components. Thanks for you help :thumbsup:
  2. megajonson

megajonson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sturart, it seems like we have the same intention. :)

So far I have considered the Lektor 1 togheter with either the Marantz M-CR502 or the Denon M-37. In another thread you and I participated in, it seemed I was recommended the Marantz alternative over the Denon when having the Lektor 1 as my option for speakers.

After having noticed a price drop today on the Lektor 2 from +26% the price of the 1's to +14% I am considering the 2's instead given the better bass and the recommendation in What Hi-Fi 03/2009 (http://www.hifiklubben.com/files/Test/Dali/DALILEKTOR2_WHAT_HI-FI_200903.pdf).

Furthermore, Dali recommends an amp of 25-100 W @ 6 ohm for the 2's while the 1's are recommended 40-100 W @ 8 ohm.

Thus, the Marantz M-CR502 seem to be the perfect choice with its 2x50 W @ 6 ohm.

Anyone with experience in this combination with Lektor 2 instead of Lektor 1?

EDIT: Stuart, just my experience from listening to the Lektor 1 and 2 on a NAD C715. I actually found the Lektor 1 to have good enough sound if you are planning on playing at normal levels in a smaller (let's say 25 sqm) room and not asking for too much bass. I listened to Michael Jackson's "Beat it". Of course, my intention is that if I buy a good amp/receiver (the Marantz) I could as well get the perfect match in speakers as well if the price difference is not too big. But I know I would not be disappointed if it comes out the 1's are better for the Marantz. They are really good and I am neither in the need for any extreme bass.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  3. stuart_haydn

stuart_haydn Member

Ratings:
    +7
    The Lektor 2s are only £40 more the 1s (SightAndSoundUk were even doing the 2s for just £260, but they have now gone back up to £280). So if you have enough space for the 2s they seem to be the better bet. Unfortunately I don't have much space, or good surfaces to put speakers on. I was also thinking of getting the Arcam Solo Mini instead but am worred whether it could drive the Lektor 1s as their minimum is 40w. I don't many people have these Lektors on the forums as there aren't many references to them in the search.
  4. megajonson

megajonson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am no expert in this field, but even though the 2's require from 25 W and upwards while the 1's require from 40 W there is a difference in their impedance. The 1's require less power since the impedance is 8 ohm while the 2's require more since they have 6 ohm. So, without being an expert I would say the 2's require more from the amp than the 1's.

To your question, by only looking at the specifications of the Arcam, with its 2x25 W @ 8 ohm, it seems weak in relation to the specification of the speakers.

Correct me if I am wrong.
  5. stuart_haydn

stuart_haydn Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I've heard that Arcam understate the power output of the amp, so it may well be more than 25w and not just at peak. I've also heard that the Solo Mini can drive quite big speakers such as the B&W 685

But I still don't really understand how to match speakers to amps. I thought it was the other way around to what you said. If something has a higher impedance it means it has more resistance, and somthing with more resistance needs more power to create the same amount of sound. This is why I thought the Lektor 1s needed more power.
  6. megajonson

megajonson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure if I complicate things even more and make it even more technical (when it actually should be about the sound), but since I have purchased the Dali Lektor 2's I went to the store to look at the Marantz M-CR502. According to the details I looked at (watt and ohm) it looked like a perfect match. However, the salesperson asked me about what sensitivity in decibel my speakers have. He said that 87 dB is twice as demanding in power than 90 dB. Smaller speakers usually requires more from the amplifier in that sense. He told me that he thought that the Marantz was out of the question if I truly wanted to have use of my speakers since they have a sensitivity of 85 dB and the Lektor 1's even have 84 dB (however, higher impedance).

All in all, I do not know what this means to you when it comes to the Arcam Solo Mini, but as you have already mentioned when it comes to effect in watt, the specification is one thing and reality is another. My salesperson mentioned that he believed the Marantz actual effect would be half that of 2x50 W which is the specification, and that the separate amp Marantz PM6002 which has 2x45 W probably would have twice the effect of the M-CR502.

It all ended up with me leaving the M-CR502 behind and that I maybe will have a look at the separate amp Marantz PM6003 which soon will be out - since I mainly use the computer and my external audio interface to play music. (The price is the same as the M-CR502, so I did not take this as a sales trick and the PM6002 was actually my second option if not a micro system).

Finally, as my salesperson said. If you are looking for a convenient small form factor system and that is your limitations - do not start comparing with something which will not be the reality, you will just end up being disappointed. There is always a better sounding solution out there. Listen the system you think suites you - does it sound good, then get it.
  7. sezchwarn

sezchwarn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But then again, he could have been expecting you to buy a cd player on top if he managed to persuade you to get a separate amp.