1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which newly released projector would you buy?

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by soupdragon, Dec 5, 2012.

?

Which newly released projector would you buy?

1. JVC X35

19 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. JVC X55

17 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. Epson 8100

10 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Epson 9100

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Sony HW50

26 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Sony VW95

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. Panasonic 6000

17 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +966
    Lets get some public opinion on the new mid-range projector releases this year :cool: (I'm calling £2k - £5k mid-range)
    I've only included the most discussed projectors and have excluded the likes of Mitsubishi and a few others...

If you have recently bought or are thinking about buying, which one would you choose?
    If you aren't buying but had the option of buying, which one would you pick?

Feel free to leave a comment about your choice on the thread :)
  2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,579
    I just don't know...it depends on the time of day, the wind direction and what I had for breakfast (or that's what it seems like :rolleyes: ).

I think maybe X35.

EDIT: Or maybe VW50ES.

EDIT 2: Is the VW95 in budget then? Not sure what it brings over the '50 apart from remote zoom and focus. Might be worth a look too I suppose.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +966
    +1 (thats why I haven't voted on my own poll!)

Ah well, at least when you change your mind it's not costing you anything (apart from the Panasonic a while back). I'm on my 6th projector in the last 16 months and changing my mind on what I'm doing usually costs me money. I need a deeper wallet if I want to remain this indecisive :blush:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. mikeybabes2

mikeybabes2 Member

Ratings:
    +60
    Well I have voted with my wallet and and X35 is waiting to be suspended from my ceiling.:smashin:

However, I have developed a novel approach to selecting my new projector. I have attended no demos, but merely read all the forums for the last few weeks for the latest and greatest, and then ordered the JVC X35.

The advantage of this technique is that if I have made an absolute boo-boo in buying the X35, it won't be my fault at all, but will be in fact, completely all your fault. I will then be able make sarcastic posts for the next twelve months whilst basking an a supreme sense of serenity and aloofness.

On the other hand if it turns out to be the dogs whatsits, I can congratulate myself on an excellent purchase.

Either way it's a win-win situation for me.:)

You, however, should all be quite nervous about it.

(P.S. I have been trying to find a way to make this technique work with democracy and government elections. However, I have singularly failed to get anything but a lose-lose situation:mad:)
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. True Romance

True Romance Active Member

Ratings:
    +627
    Not that I'll be upgrading any time soon (took me 6 years to upgrade from 720 to 1080) but for me the vw50 ticks all the boxes.
  6. Little pussy cat

Little pussy cat Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I know exactly what I want, but I don't have the money. :( But I still want to dream so I voted vw50es.
  7. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,579
    I've been able to vote now, having ordered my X35. Strictly speaking I haven't demo'd the X35 only the X55 and I've seen an X30 previously. Like MikeyBabes2 I can blame everyone else then if I don't like it. :D

It's no criticism of the VW50ES as it wouldn't work in my room as I found out last night using a projector calculator, same for the VW95ES. I decided that the X55 was a step too far for me, whereas the X35 is a more impulse purchase price level, especially if I sell my HD350 for £600-700 at some point.
  8. True Romance

True Romance Active Member

Ratings:
    +627
    Glad to hear you've finally pulled the trigger and order a new pj. Guess from your post at 4:00am you couldn't sleep deciding which one to order ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Chevyonfuel

Chevyonfuel Member

Ratings:
    +257
    X55 for me. Comments in the other thread (including a quick bit of drivel about first impressions on it). So far...it's excellent :)
  10. Goldenbone

Goldenbone Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I still haven't upgraded from 720p. I came close the other week, but I've opted to wait a bit, save up some more, and stave off upgraditis for a bit longer. From the projectors I've seen, I like the look of the x35 the best - the one thing that makes me slightly nervous is the really high cost of lamps, and the relatively short lifespan they quote (2000 usable hours before too dim sound right?)
  11. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,579
    Kind of, I ordered it last night, but woke up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep for some reason. ;)

I thought the lamps are about £250 which is fairly typical for this level of projector? FWIW JVC are now quoting 4000 hours compared to 3000 hours on the previous models. In practice I think this could be optimistic, but if you have a smaller screen then you can close the iris down when the lamp is new and slowly open it up as the lamp ages. This way you keep a constant brightness. FWIW I haven't hit 1000 hours on my 3.5 year old HD350 so I haven't had to buy a lamp due to failure (though I did pick up a spare which I've shared the use with).
  12. mikeybabes2

mikeybabes2 Member

Ratings:
    +60
    I really hope that you are as pleased with it as I am with mine. I have only rigged it up on a bench temporarily a couple of times, and I was thrilled with the results. When I get it all installed properly over the weekend and mess around with it I am sure I'll get even better results.

The real acid test is the significant other test. When my wife tells me that picture is outstanding - the very fact she noticed it at all speaks volumes, as she's not too bothered with that kind of thing generally.

So its on with the install this weekend, and with a bit of luck, it will be Ben Hur on Sunday afternoon.:smashin:

Sounds like I won't be the only one installing something on Saturday :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  13. mr. shr

mr. shr Member

Ratings:
    +7
    In contrast to the opening title of this thread, what would you guys suggest as the model to go for from the ranges that are now considered last years' units?

Seems there are some deals to be had if you're not desparate for the latest model. I'm guessing JVC's X30 and Epson's TW9000 will be key contenders?
    Any others?
  14. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +966
    ^^^^^^^ you should add the Sony HW30 to that list along with the Panasonic 5000. All should have good close out deals I would expect?

So the poll so far has the Sony HW50 and JVC x35 pretty much neck and neck and out on front on their own as the most popular models. I thought the X55 would have had a few more votes by now TBH.
  15. Alodar

Alodar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Am hopefully going to be getting a demo of the Panasonic PT-AT6000E, JVC DLA-X35, and JVC DLA-X55, next week at the Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh. Currently have a Panasonic PT-AE4000, and possibly looking to upgrade, especially if I can get some sort of part exchange.
  16. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +966
    They actually have a used HW30 on ebay as luck would have it, worth looking at that too but I wouldn't pay £1899 for it as you could get a new one for around that sort of money.
    Be sure to let us know how you get on :)

I've just bought a new Jvc X70 but no big surprise there, I usually get a new projector every other week :eek:
  17. Cliff

Cliff Active Member

Ratings:
    +252
    Once you factor in price, then for me, Sony has hit the nail on the head- this year!
    Last year Sony got its pricing wrong and the HW30 hovered around 3K with say the Epson and JVc just under. The Panasonic At5000, with its rave reviews was pitched equally but quickly dropped under that 3K. It did not live up to the reviews. In my view the Epson with its extra light output and good 3D was the clear leader.
    Anyway, light has been boosted in this year's models so they equal last years Epson.

For me, I am not buying this year:( So I'll miss out on Sony...
  18. philpot

philpot Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I am hopeing to buy the sony vpl-vw95. Can any of you guys give me an idea of what my sony vpl-hw20 with 350 hours on the clock bought last july 2011 might be worth ?
  19. Alodar

Alodar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Had a great time demoing the projectors at the HCC. I was hoping that the X55 would be the best, as from the specs, and screenshots on owners threads, it looked ideal. Sections of Avatar and Planet Earth were used, and for 2D, the Panasonic was very good, the JVC's seemed to have richer colour, and the X55 (with e-shift 2 on) was the best, with a greater level of detail.
    For 3D, both JVC's were equally very good, with great colours and good brightness. With the Panasonic, although the 3D effect was good, the picture was just far too dark. Unwatchable, compared to the JVC's. The Panasonic glasses in themselves dimmed the picture a lot more than the JVC ones, but the brightness of the projected image was a lot less than the JVC's. So I went for the X55. Had to factor in a new ceiling mount, as the JVC projectors are twice the weight of my PT-AE4000E. Luckily, HCC will allow me to part exchange my PT-AE4000E, and mount. Excellent. Just have to await delivery sometime after Christmas. As always, the staff at HCC were great, know their stuff, and I'd recommend them.
  20. Little pussy cat

Little pussy cat Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I voted already even thought I wasn't sure I would get sony. But now it's on it's way to my home.... can't wait. :)