Which LARGE family car to buy?

Adams0211

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know much when it comes to cars. What I do know is my ten year old vauxhall zafira has just about had it.

I'm now on the look out for a large family car with at least seven seats. It'll be used mainly by my wife to ferry the kids to and from school, do the shopping and other womanly tasks.

We've got four brats. An eight year old, a five year old, a one year old and a baby. Two of them are in booster seats and two are in baby seats.

We kind of liked the zafira but it was a bit cramped with all of us in it. Three kids across the middle row and one in one of the 'pop-up' seats in the boot with the double buggy wedged in next to them. Ideally we'd like something bigger this time round.

I've got five grand to spend and so far I've looked at the Peugeot 807, the Citroën C8, the Renault Espace and the Kia Sedona.

Any recommendations? Is anyone in the same situation as me?

Help appreciated!!

Get a Galaxy/Alhambra,much better than what you've mentioned-proper seats,not "pop-ups",1.9td is best,2.3 petrols a bit thirsty,plenty around for 5k.

I'd not really thought about a galaxy. I'd always presumed they had the pop-up rear seats. I've just had a look at some online and they look as if they might be worth considering. I'm still tempted to look for something bigger though.

Does anyone know of anything that has decent sized rear, rear seats and a boot big enoughfor a buggy?

Our in-laws had a Kia Sedona for years.
It really was a horrible, horrible car.
A diesel engine taken straight from a tractor, and interior plastics taken from a ballistics protection company.
But, it was completely reliable for all the years they had it, withstood terrible abuse from umpteen kids and had a queue of people wanting to buy it when they didn't need it any more.

Chrysler Voyager? Not sure about reliability though.

wasabi

I've got 4 kids and a Chrysler Grand Voyager. Its a 51 plate and I've had it from new. I haven't had any major problems with it. It is by far the best MPV in my experience for space inside and comfort. If I were to sell mine now I would get about £3500 if I was lucky I think.

You should be able to pick up a decent one for 5k.

I have a regular 2003 Voyager 2.4 SE and love it! Thinking of getting rid of it for a Hyundai Trajet because I want something newer but can't quite stretch to a Hyundai i800.

Thread ressurection!

I'm thinking about starting the application process for a new family motor. Currently got an '07 octavia VRS Estate which we've had from nearly-new. Has been very good, no problems - pleased with it. Not desperate to change.

One of the (SWMBO) reasons for upgrading would be for some more space - particularly the boot. So I went over to browse the 5-series and A6 online and was very surpried to find that their boots are actually smaller?! Couldn't believe it, as I thought the octavia was a 'small' family car.

So has anyone got any good recommendations for a large family estate - good room in the cabin and in the boot. Sporty would be good. New or preferably nearly new (max one year). No mpvs/busses/4x4s please. Budget up to 30K ish - no need to spend it all :)

One that ticks all the boxes at the moment is the... Skoda Superb estate. Now I'm not going to try and convince anyone it is a good looking car (I do like the look of the octavia) but other than that it is roomy, comfy, spacious, and with the 3.5 V6 pretty sporty. Nearly-new come in at about 20K.

Suggestions?

Biggest boot on a car I've had was my old 99 plate Saab 95 Turbo Estate but I don't think many people would be keen on buying a Saab now, after that was my old 02 plate Merc E Class Estate.

I've currently got a 2010 VRS sallon and the boot is great for the size of car and I was thinking of an Estate VRS after this one or a 5 series Touring but after reading your post I'll need to reconsider

I'd be looking at a nearly new 520D Touring, the new F11 model, in M-sport trim.:cool:
Might not be as quick as the Superb 3.6 V6 in standard trim, but a remap would sort that out for £400 if required.
And, no offence, no amount of performance could have me driving a Skoda Superb estate.:(
Especially one that can only do mid-20 mpg and will depreciate faster than you can believe.:eek:

I'm guessing your obession with skoda meant you missed the bit where I ruled-out the 5-series ;)

To add, fuel-economy is of low importance as we cover under 6K miles per year.

What I am saying is - what should I get?!?! It's not a statement that that is what I am going to get - I'm looking for suggestions based on my simple criteria :)

Sporty E-class estate should be achievable for £30k.
It would even get you the beast that is the E63 estate.
But that would be 3-4 years old.

Ooh that does have a bigger boot - 15% bigger than the octavia and 25% bigger than the bmw :eek:

Okay - that is now higher up the list than the Superb - well done :D

autotrader has a 2010 E500 estate for £32K - tempting :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom