1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which ISP would get your vote ?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by TeenSpirit, May 8, 2007.

?

Which ISP would you recommend ?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2007.
  1. AOL

4.0%
  2. Aquiss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. BE

19.0%
  4. BT

12.0%
  5. Demon

4.0%
  6. Eclipse

2.0%
  7. Fast

1.0%
  8. Orange

3.0%
  9. Pipex

1.0%
  10. PlusNet

2.0%
  11. Sky

12.0%
  12. Talk Talk

4.0%
  13. Tiscali

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. UK Online

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Virgin (non cable)

3.0%
  16. other ISP not listed

28.0%
  17. Not happy with any ISP so far

5.0%
  1. Digger

Digger Member

Ratings:
    +216
    Thats right. I dont download a great deal but sometimes I might want to grab a couple of gigs of files, and its reassuring to know that this can be done in a matter of minutes sometimes, dependant on the speeds of the servers at the other end. Moving to a service which saved me £7 per month and is 12 times faster was a no brainer. Upload speeds are approximately 1Mb. You have to pay a couple of quid if you want email, but I use a web-based service anyway.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. thelawns

thelawns Member

Ratings:
    +149
    As Digger says, it's an extremely fast connection and provided the server the other end can upload it, you can download at the full pace. Nvidia driver downloads are ridiculously fast, I get something around 2.5mb/s! :eek:

(As mentioned a few posts away, I have the full 24meg connection by the way, with living so close to the exchange :rolleyes:)
  3. mudstuff

mudstuff Active Member

Ratings:
    +355
    Thanks, it's looking good. I currently pay about £20 to bulldog for 8meg, £45 in total with the bt rental and about £15 for unlimited 01 and 02 calls which I plan to ditch as I don't really use it since my mobile tariff is decent.

When I get moved over to pipex I assume they'll put me on the Pro deal which is £19.50 ex vat. It has a static IP which is only on the £22 Be deal but only upto 16mb. Says unlimited though so I assume it'll be ok. Anyway, a couple of quid less (will be 1/3 less than what I'm currently paying taking the call plan into account) I can get 3x the speed I'm on now and 8meg more than they offer.

As aforementioned, I'm pretty close to my exchange and have had no problems with downtime or speed loss with bulldog (and I use wireless) so I don't anticipate any with Be.

Time to call bulldog then to cancel and get the MAC address to move over.
  4. dodfaefife

dodfaefife Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Been with Eclipse for a few years now. Sadly, I'm thinking of switching as they only offer 8 bps and I've noticed my local exchange is BE friendly now. I say sadly because Eclipse have been one of the most reliable services I've ever used. I can count on two fingers the number of times it's gone down and if you do have to phone them (even on a Sat) to discuss something, their staff are excellent and never seem to just be reading through a pleb script. I'll be sorry to leave and can't believe I'll be moving to a more reliable supplier. If you can't get one of the faster services anyway – give them a try.
  5. satinder

satinder Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I am currently with ADSL24, i pay £30 a month for 45 peak/330 off peak package. The peak times are between 8am - 8pm on weekdays only. I should mention that this is for 8mbps download and 832 kbps upload and not your typical slow upload speed. Also the staff are very helpful and you get a good stats page and a good forum as well.

I think that ADSL24 are the best isp at the moment, they are the first isp to supply the ADSL2+ network that BT is selling and the current deals for 'normal' adsl are the best :thumbsup:

Sat
  6. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,375
    Does anyone do any heavy gaming on Be? If so, please tell me of your experiences - ie ping/latency. Thinking of moving from BT to Be.
  7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,826
    Although the OP was decrying the Sky service, and apart from Sky's abysmal customer service when trying to upgrade to the Max package, I find Sky to be excellent. Being less than 1/2 mile from the exchange helps as I can D/L at about 12.5Mbs. £10pm unlimited usage. With €11 pm with a Usenet provider, it's excellent value.
  8. dashforth

dashforth Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I use Orange HomeMax. I would have preferred to go with O2 but they did not cover my exchange. I was a bit concerned about going with Orange as I had heard their customer service is very poor. Fortunately I have not had to use them. So far the broadband and VOIP has worked fine. I just wish I had to make more international calls so as to take full advantage of the free calls to 30 countries.
  9. kabalman

kabalman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Having been with Tiscali, BT, AOL and Sky, Sky gets my vote. Although I would still like better performance and speeds.
  10. Phnom_Penh

Phnom_Penh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    why no IDnet? :confused:
  11. A n d r e w

A n d r e w Member

Ratings:
    +250
    Isn't this a bit pointless unless we know what percentage of users each provider represents? For example, 12% for BT is all well and good - unless it turns out that 25% of internet accounts are theirs (though I doubt the true figure would be that high).

Andrew.
  12. xabialonso

xabialonso Member

Ratings:
    +1
    ok people, its that time again ! my contract with BT has just run out, i was paying £30 per month for Broadband, Line rental and option 1

I rang for a mac code and they have offered me this same package for £21.00 per month or £63.00 per quarter.

The thing is i NEVER use my landline phone so im wondering what is the best deal for me? I was thinking of taking away the landline altogether and going with a plug in internet provider for my laptop to use wherever/whenever ??

Or what about skytalk? how reliable?

I only use the net for forums, browsing etc and dont download music or films or anything like that.

I also want to link up my PS3 which is whats putting me off the mobile broadband option as i presume i wont be able to do this?

The providers availiable on a search i just did are -

BT Wholesale ADSL
    BT Wholesale ADSL Max
    BT Wholesale SDSL
    AOL LLU
    TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
    Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU

another part of me is just telling me to stick with BT who i have never had to phone up with any problems whatsoever. As the saving of £9 per month they are offering does seem like a good offer, considering its BT.

What is the forums advice?
  13. thelawns

thelawns Member

Ratings:
    +149
    For £18 a month, you could probably get Be 24mb broadband? It looks like your exchange is LLU capable from what you listed. Have a look at www.bethere.co.uk Of course they also do a lite package too, if £18 and 24mb seems a little overkill to you... :smashin:
  14. xabialonso

xabialonso Member

Ratings:
    +1

thanks very much for the quick reply, i had a look on the BE website, on the basic package its £24 connection fee plus £14 per month from 2009 onwards (£8 per month to the finish of 2008) plus my £11.50 to BT would be working out at £25.50 per month so is it just me or is my BT offer looking pretty good?
  15. thelawns

thelawns Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Forget the £24 connection charge. You get £40 cashback if you join via Quidco!

Quidco - Bethere.co.uk

That covers a couple of months at £8 too...

As far as the BT line is concerned, I thought I paid a tiny bit less than that, at £10.50 or close, as I pay by direct debit? I'll have to check that... Besides, unless you can get cable, a BT line is a necessity for ADSL anyway! ;)
  16. SnowGruff

SnowGruff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've stuck with BT and its been faultless. I play alot of online games and have never been throttled on my bandwidth usage. Plus they dont just call me every year to give me discount, at the moment they are calling me every couple of months! :thumbsup:
    Plus Ive now got a BT Vision box and its awesome! :)
  17. eric pisch

eric pisch Member

Ratings:
    +764
    anouther vote for BE

16mb d/l my own LLU, 680gb downloaded in the last 3 months and not a word of complaint :thumbsup: bargin at 20 odd squid
  18. sonoi

sonoi Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I been with BE 24meg for the last 4 years. And I have to say that 99.99% of the time it is faultless. It's fast, reliable, really is unlimited, and has a great members forums.

So another vote for BE :thumbsup:
  19. Digger

Digger Member

Ratings:
    +216
    As an aside I moved property at the beginning of the year, cancelled Be and signed up with Sky! The whole kaboodle tv phone and www. Had second thoughts about the slower connection speed so got back in touch with Be, who without any fuss let me reconnect on the £18 Unlimited package for only £12 per month! Not only that but they refunded the £40 early cancellation charge. Reckon I am happier now at 23mb rather than a paltry 16mb. :thumbsup:
  20. DVD_fan

DVD_fan Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for BE. Sometimes I download 300GB a week with no complains at constant speed of 1.3 MB Upload speed is pretty good to.
    Must have for any heavy downloader.
  21. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo Active Member

Ratings:
    +259
    Am soon to be moving into my new house in a couple of weeks... Found out on Kitz.co.uk via (their broadband checker) that I live 804 meters (1/2 [Direct] to 3/4 [By Road] of a Mile) from my nearest BT Exchange.

Phoned BT last week to set me up with a new phone line and number for the new house ready for my moving in and their line checker confirmed that I have 11000kps (11Mb) bandwidth capacity on the line... Well chuffed, as where I was living before I could only get a max of 2MB and that was on a good day!!

I watch a lot of American Football Streaming live on Sunday nights via NFL Game-Pass so am happy I have plenty of capacity to watch multiple games at once on that service when I move in. :)

Now just need to choose the most reliable ISP and by the looks of this thread BE* looks the route to go given my circumstances. Have already checked availability of their service from my new post code and it's all looking good... :smashin:
  22. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,826
    I just had a text from O2 stating they just came top of 23 broadband suppliers in the Which? "Best Technology Service Provider" award. I've found the service to be great, particularly their technical people who do know their stuff. However, the standard Thomson router that O2 send out is utter pants!
  23. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Never considered O2 before, interesting, they should get a lot of trade from the mag now then

We're still with Sky, still happy with it, although it's not 100% especially when it's thunder and lightening :laugh:
  24. Zaim7890

Zaim7890 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    It's virginmedia for me, adsl is just too slow, so if you can get 10mbit+ from adsl then i'd recommend Sky, if not then virginmedia is the best.

got vm 20mbit atm and not had any issues
  25. room.hunter77

room.hunter77 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Plus Net
  26. borrower

borrower Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I guess it depends a lot on where exactly you are, but Virgin was a ******* nightmare for us (average 2 dropouts requiring a manual router reset per day with absolutely worthless support); BT has been extremely reliable.

(Parenthetically, I hate the management console on the bt homehub 2, though. The V netgear was vastly superior.)
  27. PE06MCG

PE06MCG Member

Ratings:
    +61
    BE vote for me.

Was a Sky Connect subscriber and was going for O2 but found out they throttle back at peak times and weekends so its BE Value for me.
    Unlimited downloads at a constant 7.4 down, 1.0 up irrespective of time.
    Maximum for my line is 8.0
  28. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976 Active Member

Ratings:
    +497
    I cant believe i am going to say this as i am about to leave em but.

for what you want i think talk talk may be good.

i get pings of under 30 and quick downloads for everything other than p2p. xbox live works a treat and you get 40gb a month allowance (loads for what you want), internet browsing works fine.

Sadly i was miss sold the package by a at best ill informed at wosrt liar of a sales person and i want good p2p and higher bandwidth.

I refuse to tick them in the poll however incase it makes people think i reccomend them generally, and i dont as most everyone i know wants more than 20k per sec downloads on p2p.

Sky max i had before and may get again, were unlimited and offered good p2p support, but my pings were a little worse coming in around 60ms - ok for gaming but not as good as TT.

edit, after even more lies and shinanegans from talktalk i take back most of what i said. They are a cowboy outfit and i would not recommend them to anyone!
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  29. Heppie

Heppie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Aquiss has never let me down, bit pricey but great service.

Have been tempted by Sky as they have LLU in my exchange but have decided to stay with aquiss at the lower speeds just for the sheer quality of service.
  30. Kelg

Kelg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BE for me, I have two accounts with them, customer service is great and service has been flawless for me :)