1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which ISP would get your vote ?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by TeenSpirit, May 8, 2007.

?

Which ISP would you recommend ?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2007.
  1. AOL

4.0%
  2. Aquiss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. BE

19.0%
  4. BT

12.0%
  5. Demon

4.0%
  6. Eclipse

2.0%
  7. Fast

1.0%
  8. Orange

3.0%
  9. Pipex

1.0%
  10. PlusNet

2.0%
  11. Sky

12.0%
  12. Talk Talk

4.0%
  13. Tiscali

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. UK Online

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Virgin (non cable)

3.0%
  16. other ISP not listed

28.0%
  17. Not happy with any ISP so far

5.0%
  1. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,992
    I'm going to be moving house shortly (hopefully :rolleyes: ), and will have the choice of Sky, BE and Virgin.

After Virgin's decision to throttle the life out of connections from 4pm until midnight I've ruled them out.

That leaves me with Sky & BE and seeing as the house is just over a mile from the exchange I don't think I will get too close to BE's 24Mb so I think I'm going to go Sky 16Mb for £10.00 per month.
  2. Moosh

Moosh Active Member

Ratings:
    +467
    I'm with freedom2surf and have been with them for over 4 years! I've only ever had one issue with them, they upgraded a switch and I lost connectivity. However, it was resolved with me rebooting my hardware firewall.

I don't think they're the cheapest available but I've had very little to grumble about! :thumbsup:

Moosh
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Bilbob

Bilbob Active Member

Ratings:
    +295
    Askin gofr opinions on broadband is always difficult. Most people who have it won't ever have problems, and as such, will class it as a good service. It's when it goes wrong that you can seriously see how good they are.

As for me, another vote for UKFSN, an Entanet provider, 20 quid, they do have limits, but they are generous (very: 30 gig peak, 300 gig off peak) and are totally up front about it, and THEY DON'T THROTTLE AT ALL. All ports open, and a nice bloke who goes out of his way to help you out. And one month contract too.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Bilbob

Bilbob Active Member

Ratings:
    +295
    Oh, and another thing... Don't get too hung up on ADSL2+ and high speeds... If you currently get 3 meg or less, the chances of getting ANYTHING like 16 meg, is nil. Below 3 meg, the speeds are virtually identical. If you are lucky and live near the exchange, then the speed gains are impressive, but for most of us, it's a little pointless.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. lord-dudester

lord-dudester Member

Ratings:
    +202
    BT!!!! pricey but faultless IMO
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. TeenSpirit

TeenSpirit Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Check with BE website and guess what...

You are too far from your BT exchange

While we’d love everyone to enjoy our superfast broadband, unfortunately you’re just too far away from your nearest BT telephone exchange for us to provide you with our service. We’re really sorry.

If you move closer to a BT exchange in future, simply provide us with your new postcode and telephone number to find out if you can enjoy the power of Be.

:thumbsdow
  7. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    I've been with F2s for a while now too. The only problem I have is that since moving to their Max product, I sometimes get quite a few dropouts, especially during gaming. I'm not sure whether this has something to do with F2s or BT. Apart from that they've been fine.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. TeenSpirit

Ratings:
    +92
    We are on Sky Max and Signs seems to think that our 'dropouts' are down to BT also and not Sky :confused:

Do you think that if we got the service capped at 2Mb it would resolve problem ??
  9. Digger

Digger Member

Ratings:
    +216
    Not sure if Sky broadband is via cable or an adsl line. If its an adsl line have you tried a new adsl filter. I was scratching my head for days when I initially had pipex (via a BT line) setup a while ago. I tried a new filter and NO more dropouts. Worth trying for a few quid.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    I think I have a spare adsl filter lying around, might give that a go!
  11. bjd

bjd Member

Ratings:
    +147
    I am with Tiscali, and have been since those heady days of free dial-up with Localtel and ScreamingNet.......and I have to say the one common factor is that they have all been dreadful. It's like an ongoing masochistic habit that I don't seem to have the energy or determination to end.
    I know a few people who are using NewNet, and are extremely impressed. I gave their tech team a call (which, unlike Tiscali, was answered quickly) and they were very helpful. If only I could be bothered going through the pain of extracting a MAC code from Tiscali, I would definitely move to NewNet.
  12. ash

ash Member

Ratings:
    +430
    It's quite easy to get a MAC actually. I phoned up, she tried to swindle me a bit like we can give discounts, sort it out etc. I just said no, she then gave it to me to my non-Tiscali email address, which I got within 5 minutes. Also she sent a hard copy via post.

I still haven't changed yet LOL!
  13. Rygar

Rygar Member

Ratings:
    +279
    There is a chance that your distance from your exchange is the cause of your current problems with Sky. Both BE & Sky Max use ADSL2+ technology to deliver broadband. In general terms the further away you are from your exchange, the more attenuation your line will exhibit. ADSL2+ does not like high attenuation. Sounds like your line just cant handle it, so moving to a BT Wholesale ADSL max (rate adaptive up to 8Mb) ISP, or even a fixed rate 1Mb/2Mb service would seem to be the way to go.

Mr Signs assertion regarding BT being to blame for your Sky max problems is highly unlikely, as BT have little to do with your connection other than being responsible for the line between your house and your exchange. Sounds like Sky should have been more responsible (as BE were) and should have refused you their max service based on your distance from your exchange.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. TeenSpirit

Ratings:
    +92
    Thank you Rygar, I will contact Sky again and query this with them and see if they will take us off the Max package and maybe onto their free service to see if this does resolve all of this :)
  15. Rygar

Rygar Member

Ratings:
    +279
    If memory serves I don't think there is an easy migration path from LLU to BT Wholesale services (Which is what you will be doing if you come off Sky Max and use any BT Wholesale ISP, which includes Sky's base & mid services).

So be prepared for some broadband downtime :( not much can be done to avoid this I dont think in that particular scenario.

Note: I am not 100% on my facts on this one...so I may stand to be corrected.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. hutters

hutters Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I'm another Entanet (via UKFSN) user. I moved from Eclipse and have never looked back - they are second to none IMO.

I was getting 200k downloads with Eclipse, now I get 2.5meg :)
  17. freeman

freeman Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Another vote for UKFSN here :thumbsup:
  18. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    I know this will go against what alot of you think, but i am with Orange, and i dont have a problem with them at all.

My main points are :

1. It cost me £5 a month as i have a phone contract of £30 a month
    2. The download and upload are very good (getting on average 7Mbps on an 8Mb line and upload of around 350kbps)
    3. I get free landline and Orange calls meaning in the last quarter i saved £55 on my landline phonebill.
    4. My livebox now acts as a print server.
    5. I get shed loads of free webspace to upload my pics too.
    6. I have only experienced "down time" on about 3 ocassions and cannot remember any of those times as it was so long ago and was for no time at all. (and i have been with Orange/Wanadoo for 2 1/2 years)

And all that after this happened:

I have been on this contract for about 5 months and due to downloading alot (around 300GB a month) i unsurprisingly got cut off !!!!
    After i worked this out (2 days after i was cut off) i went on their website and registered again and within 24 hours i was back up and running (but not downloading as much).
    OK i had to sign up to another 12 months, but seeing as my mobile phonebill is for another 13 months, then it makes no difference as im going to be with orange for the foreseable future.
    I have called Customer Services on 3 occassions, and after the first time of getting an Indian man who had no idea i got a phone number off of him for the UK Customer Services and they are VERY helpful, and so have used them since.

If it aint broke then dont fix it is my attitude and with Orange they for me arent broke, so im sticking with them.

:thumbsup:
  19. dibdab

dibdab Member

Ratings:
    +103
    I've always been on 1 month contracts and would hate to wait three months to cancel something then have to pay to be reconnected to a BT ISP, all the best ones charge as they don't lock you into twelve month contracts.
  20. tvdavid

tvdavid Member

Ratings:
    +102
    I am very happy with AOL.

I was paying £29.99 for platinum but was going to move to sky broadband connect because of the price which was £5 but have read that its not good for things like P2P and there very slow speeds where as I get speeds of over 200Kps on AOL and 700Kps on other downloads and speed test.

When I phoned up and said I am going over to sky they offered me the same service for £9.99 a month if I take AOL talk which is just £3.99.
    I got my MAC code from AOL right away but will not use it.
    I say I download around 15GB a month.
  21. satinder

satinder Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I am with Talk Talk at the moment but i will move back to Zen when i move house in the next year or sooner, so i voted other (Zen). The main reason is that they give you a good connection and they don't enforce their download limits or ban the use of torrents :D.
  22. fernandez

fernandez Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I'm with UKFSN an Entanet reseller and very happy with them - generous 30gb peak/300gb off-peak, good speeds, no throttling/port blocking and always helpful support- all for £19.99/month

Just one point though, Aquiss is given as a choice - also an Entanet reseller so why single out just one reseller when, basically, the service given by all resellers is the same. Only the 'added-value' extras vary
  23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,907
    I'm also with UKFSN (via Entanet) and they are very good. A fast reliable service and as stated above, no throttling/port blocking. I'm also on the £19.99 service which is great value IMO, especially considering that you aren't tied in on a 12 month contract.
  24. carling

carling Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I'm happy with Virgin (non cable) broadband.

Started broadband with BT. Happy with them but major problems after I left. They billed me a year later for £300 saying I was still with them and hadn't paid for a year. Took ages to sort.

Moved to TalkTalk, way before their free offer. Signed up for 1Mb but could only get 512 where I lived so they reduced my bill to the 512 price.
    Service fine but had two MAJOR problems during the 18 months I was with them where they cut me off and blamed me, and took WEEKS to get me back online. Every day I called and every day they said I'd be back online within 24 hours. Even refused, point blank, to give me a MAC code so I could go elsewhere!
    The second time my service died they told me every day for a week that I'd be back within 24 hours then said the reason it was disconnected was that I had cancelled my account! Then they said I couldn't reconnect, I'd have to sign up as a new customer and wait a couple of weeks!!

So I signed up with Virgin. Even using the old Talktalk model I get connected at 3.5 mb, seven times faster than Talktalk. I'm on the £18 per month service and I've never hit any limit, even with downloading movies and TV shows from the states.

Makes up for my bad experience with Virgin Mobile... (Thoug to be fair they did sort that out quickly)
  25. iamhobo

iamhobo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BE* are without doubt the best isp i have ever been with.... so long as you dont have a problem haha, the call centers are all in india, and the operators have little or no grasp of the language. but apart from that the service is stellar!

bulldog are without doubt the worst.
  26. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,410
    Thanks for the thread Mrs S. Had a good read :)

Providing the new flat is close enough to the local exchange for them all :)grin: :p), its a choice between the magic circle of BE, BT, Sky and UKFSN it seems. Thanks for the others, but based on experience, I'm not going near Tiscali and AOL. Ever again. So help me God.

Will need to talk with the others to see if we want Sky TV, but... choices, choices. Going to have a gander at the current deals
  27. marty2005

marty2005 Member

Ratings:
    +175
    I use Freedom2Surf - had no probs yet.

I don't like AOHell's stupid software u have 2 use to get online.

28. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird Member

Ratings:
    +145
    you don't HAVE to use it. They will probably expect you to be using it if you phone the helpline if somethings wrong, but you can get online without the software (I didn't even have the software installed for the past year or so before I moved to ADSL24).
  29. thelawns

thelawns Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Well I just wanted to add my tuppence. I have been with BE for over 6 months now, I think it was in December when I joined. Initially I got about 16-18mb download speeds. After reading the BE Forum, I found that changing my BT Faceplate to the NTE5 ADSL unfiltered I could reduce some of the 'Noise' on my line. Then I was told I would be able to swop my BE connection over to 'Fastpath' from the standard 'Interleaved'. Now i'm in the BE 24mb club! :thumbsup::rotfl::cool:

Edit: See my Speedtest.net result in my sig!
  30. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,410
    Well signed up to BE Unlimited 24 Meg for £24 p/m just now for the new flat

Hope I chose well :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, only online now as back in Manchester. Going south again on Monday and no more internet... where is this 0845 dial-up thing on the BE site I'm meant to use in the interim? Can't find it. Otherwise no online banking and email notification I'm to be connected from BE :rolleyes: