Which is the best unlimited Video Streaming Service - Netflix, Amazon, Now TV or Wuaki?

Amazon have exclusive rights to 24? I didn't know that. I've only recently starting watching it on Netflix UK, hope it stays there! :eek:
From what I understand the new series of 24 will be shown on Sky 1, which means you'll be able to watch it via a Sky Now TV subscription ;)

My question is: which service has the most content with subtitles?

Being partially deaf, anything without subtitles is a real struggle nowadays. A lot of the American shows on Netflix have "closed captions", and some of the films, but not all of them. Old BBC shows on Netflix never seem to, though, which is very frustrating.

Sky is a great deal worse, though. *None* of their downloadable "On Demand" content seems to be subtitled, and they even somehow manage to strip the subtitles off the stuff on iPlayer if I'm daft enough to use the version installed on my Sky box....

From what I understand the new series of 24 will be shown on Sky 1, which means you'll be able to watch it via a Sky Now TV subscription ;)
Ah, I've only ever seen seasons 1-3, so I'm starting again from the very beginning, so have a long way to go before I worry about the new season! Will be seriously miffed if they pull the plug on it again, having been bounced from Freeview to Sky in the past.

One annoying thing with now TV is the duration of shows and movies on there, I think its 30 days from the air date on sky, so the newer movies don't hang around for long. Also miffed that episode 1 of moone boy series 2 has gone and the first 4 episodes if true detective are no longer there, we was hoping to start that soon. I believe game of thrones series 4 will be the same (presuming 24 will be too) so you can't hang around too much catching up

Out of interest, has anybody here tried Wuaki.tv. I've just noticed I have it built into all my LG TV's?

I use the apps on my tv to watch netflix and tried lovefilm for the free month.

Netflix super hd is very very good, house of cards looks great in 1080p, even just the hd 720p stuff looks good, not bluray standard of course but clear and sharp still and as good as any sky hd channel when we had sky.

Lovefilm hd quality is horrific at best, viewed either on 46" livingroom tv or on a 27" 1080p monitor via ps3 it is very very poor, it looks almost as bad as standard definition tv does compared to full hd.

Then you get buffering issues as well, watching the walking dead again it was about every 90 seconds, we have 17mbps (actual speed) tinternets so its not that, every other streaming service does 1080p fine.

I find Netflix to be great value for money, alot of stuff on there we wouldnt normally have watched.

Mercy Hospital is good.

Homeland, Battlestsr Galactica, Orange is new black, 24, From Dusk Til Dawn, true not a lot of films but plenty of services for movie rentals for £3.

So, netflix good, lovefilm horrific.

Out of interest, has anybody here tried Wuaki.tv. I've just noticed I have it built into all my LG TV's?
I've just watched some of their 'free' content. The audio and video quality seems good and stable...

EDIT: Content layout is quite logical too

Last edited:
NOW TV is not coming to my house until they can up the quality.

I tried it on a trial and i just couldn't cope with the picture or sound.

We use netflix US on the Apple TV and netflix uk on the wii u (with the help of a dns switcher). Also Amazon Prime on the wii U.

The picture quality on all is amazing.

Still thinking of swapping out the Apple TV for a roku3, but tbh if it aint broke there isn't really any need.

Cancelled Lovefilm when Amazon got hold of it. I found it virtually impossible to manage and find films on the Prime/Amazon website and the LG TV app became worse when Amazon changed it to Prime.

Now with Wuaki. Far better than Prime for all the above reasons and streaming far smoother with no buffering.

Am I right that NowTV only streams in SD? Any plans to be in HD?

I really need to start looking into On Demand streaming again cos I do plan to get rid of Sky and hopefully the TV License and go down that route only

Am I right that NowTV only streams in SD? Any plans to be in HD?

Now TV currently supports the lower '720p' version of high-def... And unlike many of the other streaming services it does not support Dolby Digital 'surround sound' audio either...

Cancelled Lovefilm when Amazon got hold of it. I found it virtually impossible to manage and find films on the Prime/Amazon website and the LG TV app became worse when Amazon changed it to Prime.

Now with Wuaki. Far better than Prime for all the above reasons and streaming far smoother with no buffering.

I've seen Wuaki becoming increasingly mentioned online so I might have to keep half an eye on it. I just looked at their site and it seems it's the same price as Amazon/Netflix and browsing through the catalogue it's all much of a muchness but they don't produce any of their own content (unless I'm mistaken) so I've not yet seen any reason why I'd be inclined to give this one a try.

Cancelled Lovefilm when Amazon got hold of it.

Admittedly, Lovefilm changed quite a lot when Amazon bought it. And now as Amazon Prime it's integration into the Amazon family is complete.

For me, as an Amazon Prime shopping customer (since 2008), I'm quite happy to have the extra service at little extra cost. I suspect many others are the same ;)

For me, as an Amazon Prime shopping customer (since 2008), I'm quite happy to have the extra service at little extra cost. I suspect many others are the same ;)

Same here. We buy quite a lot from Amazon so their Prime service has paid for itself. The Instant Video is a great bonus.

Not sure we'll keep our Netflix subscription when it's time to renew Prime, although having Netflix on the AppleTV is a massive bonus.

As for Wuaki, I might rent something off it, if it was cheaper than Amazon or iTunes, but I wouldn't buy anything off it (don't want to have my digital content spread all over the place on different sites).

What is the approximate bit-rate of the soundtrack for Netflix/Amazon? I've got Amazon Prime, so get the streaming for free, and have it set up in the kids' bedrooms. I've never managed a full film on the main system as the sound is simply terrible (horribly compressed, worse than Sky HD), just wondering if Netflix is any better?

In all honesty, I find most DVDs pretty horrible to listen to these days, with the exception of the odd 'full" DTS soundtrack, so I'm doubting Netflix is that great (although I could be wrong...)

In all honesty, I find most DVDs pretty horrible to listen to these days, with the exception of the odd 'full" DTS soundtrack, so I'm doubting Netflix is that great (although I could be wrong...)

Not sure of the bit rate but Netflix uses Dolby Digital Plus, much better than vanilla DD.

What is the approximate bit-rate of the soundtrack for Netflix/Amazon? I've got Amazon Prime, so get the streaming for free, and have it set up in the kids' bedrooms. I've never managed a full film on the main system as the sound is simply terrible (horribly compressed, worse than Sky HD), just wondering if Netflix is any better?

Netflix sound wipes the floor with Lovefilm, I haven't checked the bit rate but it is very good, better than I get from Freeview HD through Denon AVRX2000

For film buffs it's all about Mubi. A specially curated collection of 30 films with a new title added every day (and the oldest one lost) at only £2.99. For lovers of indie, classic and world cinema it's a no brainer. If you're after blockbuster movies or TV it's not for you though.

the one that I have favoured the most is Netflix, not the best for movies but for tv series it really can't be beat. My one little niggle is many of my friends have the US version and there is so much more choice there compared to the UK version. Even with the potential price increase I am still going to keep up with it

this article forgets to mention one huge benefit of Amazon over Netflix. With Amazon, you can have up to 3 Blu-ray discs at home at all time and it still the best way to watch a movie on my screen. Netflix is streaming only unfortunately.

But the article isn't about disc rentals it's about steaming, it's nice Amazon do that but it costs extra for new customers (legacy customers are getting a bargain though). If going that route they'd need to add in sky's nre buy the digital version and we'll send you the DVD in the post option and cinema paradiso

this article forgets to mention one huge benefit of Amazon over Netflix. With Amazon, you can have up to 3 Blu-ray discs at home at all time and it still the best way to watch a movie on my screen. Netflix is streaming only unfortunately.

As everett said, this article is about streaming. The standard Amazon package does not include the DVD rental.

I do long for a day when I can consume any content I want solely through catch up or on demand services. NowTV will fill in a big amount of that and it's Entertainment pack at £5 a month is a bargain but the fact it's not in HD is a killer for me.

New customers can only have 2 at a time, at double the cost. I don't much like the by post service as it's extremely irritating posting stuff back and being at the mercy of the postal service as to whether you'll have something to watch. I'd be more interested if you could choose the exact film you were sent out, all I got sent was stuff I only put on to pad my list out, there was no-way I could see to get them to send me the discs I really wanted :(

Netflix beats all, that and unblockus and wwe network is all I need.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom