Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which handbrake presents for Apple TV, Ipad and iphone?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Rikshaw, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Rikshaw

Rikshaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am starting to rip my DVD collect to watch on Apple TV but also on iphone while away and possibly an iPad if I buy one.

Am using handbrake which is slow but seems to work well.
    I've started by using the 'Universal preset as I will be watching the films on different kit - is this the best way to go or should I use an Apple TV one and accept big files on iphone etc.?

Help appreciated before I get too far as I dont want to re-do them.

Cheers
  2. kikapu

kikapu Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I am doing the same and I have deceided (rightly or wrongly) to use the atv2 setting the file sizes its creating dont seem that large to me.

I have adjusted the RF from 20 to 23 for rips of TV or old movies and this makes the files smaller. Any other films will leave at default.
  3. nonsoloinglese

nonsoloinglese Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I wanted to maintain the highest quality setting so used High Profile on Handbrake. So far it works on my iPad, Apple TV 2, but NOT the Apple TV 1 (gutted). I will try it on iPhone later tonight.
  4. bradmill

bradmill Member

Ratings:
    +52
    attached is the settings I use, which can be imported into handbrake. These settings work on ipad,iphone, apple tv 1 +2. It also encodes two soundtracks, 2 channel and 5.1. When played on apple TV, the 5.1 is automatically selected, likewise then using airplay from ipad etc to apple tv.

hope this helps

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. davenhaze

davenhaze Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Would you be kind enough to explain how i import these settings into handbrake??

Many thanks. :smashin:
  6. bradmill

bradmill Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Save the zip and extract the plist file, then Open handbrake and click up top where it says "presets". Choose "import" and then navigate to the .plist file you saved to your desktop.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Mr THX

Mr THX Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Heres one to discuss,

I have a 5>6Gb MKV file on a good quality 720p rip, if I run it through handbrake it shrinks it (as you would expect) but am I loosing much quality for it being reduced in file size?

What would be the best way to run it through handbrake and keep the file size close to the original? Bigger being better??

6Tb of storage negates the need to work with small file sizes, but if theres no loss of quality etc etc

Advice would be helpful on this topic.

Cheers guys :smashin: