Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which great TV shows started great, were great and ended great!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by mooperman, Feb 17, 2012.

1. richp007

richp007 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,214
    Yeah I don't think any shows that are just 1 series long can qualify really. But I don't make the rules :D

Interesting that so many people are mentioning The Shield. It is typical too that a show as great as this is relatively little known amongst the public, mainly because it was lost in Channel 5 obscurity when it was broadcast. I mean it is a hugely popular show still, but nowhere near spoken of as much as the likes of The Wire.
  2. teamleader

teamleader Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Another vote for the shield,
    One foot in the grave
    Sweeney
    NYPD (all time favourite)
    Hill St Blues
  3. Jason56d

Jason56d Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Funny that you didn't like Dexter season 4. That was my favourite and the mrs liked 5 the best! Season 3 my least fav.
  4. dowzer

dowzer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    I have never seen a single episode of::blush:

The Sopranos
    The Shield
    Oz
    The Wire
    Battlestar Galactica
    Breaking Bad
    Walking Dead

My wife and I loved Dexter,Spartacus,Rome,Game of Thrones and are in series 1 of Mad Men at the minute (it's ok).I loved Band of Brothers (she wont watch it) and have Generation Kill for ages and havent watched it because she wont as it's war :rolleyes:How the heck do I decide which to try first?? :laugh:
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  5. Goooner

Goooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,651
    It's criminal that the latter two aren't available in their entirety on DVD.
  6. Quaddy

Quaddy Active Member

Ratings:
    +254
    dont worry - i havent seen any of the ones you mention, apart from oz, walking dead, band of brothers

out of the ones you havent watched, i think i am right in saying, chronologically, oz came first, and is interesting to see that grittier style of tv drama get developed on, which would later be used in some similar, very famous series.

its heavily situational, in other words, largely in the pen, but that creates a great atmosphere, intensity and sense of trapped foreboding in some of the rivalries that pan out

i am getting more and more intrigued by all this mention of breaking bad, and 24, i think i have to watch those someday!

i believe the wire is the successor, unrelated, but same team and some same cast to oz.

7. mooperman

mooperman Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,313
    i'd like to agree with band of brothers, season 1 is amazing, REALLY amazing but The Pacific just did nothing for me whatsoever.:(
  8. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +843
    I actually really envy you mate. I'd love to be able to watch some of those shows for the first time again. I've not seen the Shield either, but would personally recommend the Sopranos and 24. I think with both shows you'll know very quickly whether you're going to like them or not.
  9. DOBLY

DOBLY Member

Ratings:
    +150
    City Homicide
    White Collar Blue
    Underworld
    My So-Called Life
    Lewis
    Midnight Caller
    This Life
    The Secret Life of Us
    The Young Doctors
    Wallander
    East West 101
    ER
    Love My Way
    Tangle
    Offspring

For those of you unfamiliar with some of the above, they are largely Australian, and contain some of the same actors, writers and producers.
    Some of the above are still going, and show no signs of "jumping the shark"... let's hope they stay true to their intent.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  10. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,263
    Another vote for The Shield, the most consistently great, long running TV series of the last couple of decades. It was overshadowed by The Wire and the endless "greatest TV series ever made" hype. I thought The Wire was great, but if I'm honest, I enjoyed The Shield more and unlike that series, The Wire dropped the ball with the last season.

I also thought that The Sopranos always stayed on top and I love every single episode of Father Ted.
  11. richp007

richp007 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,214
    Father Ted - brilliant. Even Dougal was a class act in it.

I still get goosebumps when I think of the final few episodes of The Shield :laugh: especially the penultimate episode :eek: and Season 5 was a tour de force of acting and suspense. Epic stuff.
  12. mooperman

mooperman Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,313
    of course Father Ted definately!!!

"TED TED, Clint Eastwood's been arrested for a crime he didnt commit..... ah no wait, its just a film" :D
  13. michaelro

michaelro Active Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Many of the above +
    Big Bang Theory
  14. Drexl

Drexl Active Member

Ratings:
    +740
    One thats still going and has never let up in my opinion is the very over looked Southland. Excellent storylines and acting
  15. dowzer

dowzer Member

Ratings:
    +221

Just ordered The Shield boxset from thehut.com for £36 (with voucher)and Breaking Bad series 1 from amazon.:smashin: From this thread I would say The Shield seems to be the most mentioned so I'm sure I will love it too.
  16. richp007

richp007 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,214
    Best cash you'll ever spend on a TV boxset is The Shield :thumbsup:
  17. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +843
    Right, I'm going to have to get the Shield, but may god have mercy on all your souls if I don't love it!! ;)

Father Ted was absolute comedy gold. Everyone was a winner, but highlights for me were Kicking Bishop Brennan Up the Arse, the one where Ted is accused of being racist and, of course, the Eurovision Song Contest......

My lovely horse running through the field,
    Where are you going with your fetlocks blowing in the wind?
    I want to shower you with sugar lumps and ride you over fences,
    Polish your hooves every single day and take you to the horse dentist.
    My lovely horse, you're a pony no more,
    Running around with a man on your back like a train in the night, like a train in the night.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
  18. Jason56d

Jason56d Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I am that confident that you will love it (unless you have no emotion!, then bets off!) that I will buy the box set from you for half what you paid for it if you don't think it is worthy of a top 3 place in your all time shows! (get it from The Hut, cheapest at mo!) And don't forget 5% Quidco :thumbsup:

http://www.thehut.com/dvd/the-shield-seasons-1-7-box-set/10308614.html

I watched the latest episode of Eastbound & Down earlier today and even Kenny Powers said his son "Looks like the dude from The Shield, Chiklis" ROFL!
  19. dieeasysteve

dieeasysteve Active Member

Ratings:
    +420
    BSG has my vote,

24 had many ups and downs, the first two seasons were awful at the 12hr.

Lost should of ended at the first season as we all had guessed the ending. The next couple of years they just tried to pretend we hadn't.
  20. Courtjezter

Courtjezter Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,262
    So my list looks a little like this.

BSG (reboot)
    Life on Mars
    Sherlock (so far)
    House
    Porridge
    The Good Wife (so far)
    The Gilmore Girls
    The West Wing.
    Fawlty Towers

Ones i could not include, but really wanted to.

Buffy, mainly because it didnt start great the first series was a bit pants IMO but it picked up in the 2nd immeasurably.

Supernatural. Again first series wasn't the best mainly monster of the week type stories i even stopped watching on it's first tv run because i wasn't enjoying it. But i am so glad i picked it up again, although after the 5th series there has been a bit of a decline.

Angel. Started great and finished great, but the Conner storyline dragged on for me.

I have excluded anything that has only had one series or was a mini series also other wise Lost Room, Band of Brothers, The Stand and IT may have made an appearance although the last 2 had weak 3rd acts.
  21. King Tones

King Tones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,014
    After a few mentions of Sleeper Cell
    I thought I would give it another watch and only just realised I have only seen Season 1 and did not know they did a 2nd Season!!!
    Just fired Season 1 up on Netflix can't wait to get to Season 2.
    I need to revisit this thread as I have been thinking about it all week and need to add some more shows :)
  22. richp007

richp007 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,214
    You numpty Tones ;) fancy not watching Season 2 after watching Season 1 :rolleyes: :laugh:
  23. DOBLY

DOBLY Member

Ratings:
    +150
    Good call on Gilmore Girls - how the !@$ did I leave that of my list?
  24. redwing

redwing Member

Ratings:
    +101
    I started a thread months ago saying The Sheild was the most complete show ever so thats a definete for me .

Oz - consistant all teh way through

so many fall short having a bad season

I would say The office and Inbetweeners but I think 2 seasons of anything is a cop out .

Ricky Gervais always points to Falwty Towers and it seems anything he ever makes will be 2 seasons because of that which I find anoying.
  25. Bamford38

Bamford38 Member

Ratings:
    +224
    The Inbetweeners had 3 series
  26. scott spock

scott spock Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Totally agree
  27. King Tones

King Tones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,014
    I know mate, just never realised they had done a 2nd Season, thought it got canned.
    Finished off Season 1 the weekend and it was as good as I remember it being :thumbsup:
    Was not sure if Season 2 would be as good but after watching episode 1 last night :eek::eek:
    It looks like its going to be a winner :thumbsup:
  28. blaster9999

blaster9999 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    The shield is a very fine cop show, the main story arc just seemed to be streached out too long.
  29. neroon

neroon Member

Ratings:
    +73
    I guess I would have to say:

The shield
    sleeper cell
    firefly

However I don't think the mark of greatness is starting great and remaining great throughout, it's how you view the show as a whole. I mean my all-time favourite show would have to be Babylon 5 which starts far from great that there's no show with such a well told five-year story, that can hold a candle to it. It's a great show, greater than the sum of its parts but flawed nevertheless.

I sincerely have to question Battlestar Galactica being mentioned! For those who mentioned it do you seriously think that the quality of season three, razor and season four was as good as the miniseries/season 1/season 2?

C'mon:laugh:

You would say that on a polygraph which if you fail you you would willingly lose your testicles?:rolleyes:
  30. QBSBuck

QBSBuck Active Member

Ratings:
    +209
    Lol! What was the hot chicks name in the command centre? Purrrrrr!!! Probably a granny now :(