Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which graphics card

Discussion in 'Camcorders & Video Editing' started by bobbster, Jul 7, 2009.

1. bobbster

bobbster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok,

I have a desktop with plenty of hard drive space 4gb of memory, windows vista 64 bit and a graphics card configured for photograhic 2D imaging only. Hence when I come to watch video on u tube the process is incredibly slow "jumping infact". I am expecting the same/similar problems when I come to download/edit video footage from my camcorder. So which is the best video grapics card/software combination? budget £100-£200? as I most definatley need to upgrade.

Thanks Bob
  2. JefUK

JefUK Member

Ratings:
    +48
    If you are not interested in high end gaming the best value components at the moment are cards based on the ATI HD 4850. Get one with 512MB of GDDR3 memory to ensure that some video editing plug-ins will work smoothly with 1920x1080HD. It is not too power hungry but you will need a 6 pin PCI-E power connector from your power supply (or Molex to PCI-E adapter) - either way you must ensure that the PSU can handle the increase in power demand.

I would suggest a graphics card like this which is a dual slot card that exhausts the hot air to the outside of the case, which may be important if your PC case is limited on cooling. Ensure that your case will take a dual slot card before buying.

The card has full hardware acceleration for AVCHD, H.264 and MPEG2, but to ensure that playback can take advantage of the hardware acceleration for AVC & BD you must use the appropriate software player, such as PowerDVD 8/9 Ultra or WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray.

The jumping you refer to however may be due to a lack of processing power from the CPU or, more likely, a slow internet connection. While the above graphics card with the suggested software will play video smoothly, if it a CPU problem editing of HD video, especially AVCHD, would be very slow and difficult - standard DV should be OK though if it is a recent PC.

To be sure that you need a new graphics card can you provide more information about the spec of your PC, and let us know what type of video you want to edit?
  3. bobbster

bobbster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the information so far, I will be editing mini dv tapes for my recently aquired xm2. Using either sony vegas 8 or premiere elements. My computer spec: Intel(R) core2 Duo E6420 2.13ghz LGA775 Processor. Memory 4gb ram, 64 bit operating system, Windows Vista Ultimate, NVIDEA 256MB GeForce 7600GS PCI Express16VGA Card, IEEE1394, 24" SAMSUNG Syncmaster 244t, Soundmax integrated Digital HD audio, 2 x 300gb sata hard drives, USB and card reader ports, ACPI x64 based pc, ASUS PSND2SE S775, DDR2, SATA2 5.1Snd, ATX Motherboard, a 550W ATX PSU with 12 cm fan and temp control and lastly a CoolerMaster Centurion 534 ATX case. The motherboard will support a PCI express x1 Slot and PCI Express x16 slot graphics card

Is this enough information??? Cheers Bob
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  4. JefUK

JefUK Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Your PC should be fine for editing standard DV Video. The graphics card supports full hardware acceleration for MPEG2 and should be fine for SD video. Only if you move to AVCHD will your CPU be underpowered, and will probably need more graphics memory for some editing processes.

Try it as it is, it should be fine!:thumbsup:
  5. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,978
    Agree
    What is also true us that Vegas is much better at using modest hardware and will probably feel nippier than Premiere Elements
  6. bobbster

bobbster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Again, just sold my XM2 and have aquired an XH A1, I haven't changed anything hardware wise but have down loaded some test video from the camera via Windows and it all seems to run smoothly so I assume I have a slow internet connection? Also I have Sony Vegas Pro 8 which looks a bit daunting however due to recommendations I would like to use this software for video editing. Anyone know of any tutorials for Vegas?

Thanks Bob
  7. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,978
    Try You Tube for starters
    Otherwise tutorials abound, free or paid for but the software does have decent " show me how" built in tutorials
    Once you get over the unfamiliar interface, it isnt hard to use in newbee mode, you can then build-up from there