1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which capture card to use with Amstrad DRX550?

Discussion in 'Sky, Sky+, Sky HD & Sky 3D' started by ETNiES87, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ETNiES87

ETNiES87 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First of all I know there are umpteen threads about this but it's so confusing about different boxes with different connections and different quality I can't get my head around it at all.

I want a card that I can set a program guide from my pc to record, and do some light streaming with..

Also what cables would I need to get? and will it be a problem that my pc is about 3 metres away from my sky box?

Thanks for your help, these forums are a great resource.
  2. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil Active Member

Ratings:
    +884
    I don't understand your query. You can only record to a PC the programme that is currently playing on the Sky box.

What are you really trying to achieve?
  3. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Hi, welcome to the forum, and thank you.
    I don't get at all - S N as usual the same, but ahead of me:) - what you're wanting to do, but maybe others will, and in the meantime you could give us some more details.
  4. ETNiES87

ETNiES87 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry thought it was clearer.

I want a recommendation for a capture card so ill to be able to record sky to my pc via a tvguide function.. I don't mind that I have to watch the channel i'm recording..
  5. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    No such thing that I know of.
  6. ETNiES87

ETNiES87 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've read on here people have cards that show up the sky tvguide through WMC is this still possible? and could I record from that?
  7. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    Certainly not with Vista and prior.........and analogue tuner cards are getting harder to come by..........
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  8. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    They are using satellite tuner cards in the PC connected to the lnb on the dish. I am fairly certain it could not be set up to record from the guide via a video capture card.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Triple cable with phono plugs - for video, audio left, and audio right - and the length is no problem at all.
    I still don't understand the rest of it though.:confused:
  10. ETNiES87

ETNiES87 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can you link me or tell me the name of some cards that i'll be able to use to record with the before mentioned sky box?
  11. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
  12. ETNiES87

ETNiES87 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I honestly think you lot be trolling. I ask for a card you link some usb. anyway i give up.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  13. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    You really do not have much of a clue - what you are asking for is a means of recording from your PC from a Sky box using a TV guide on the PC. The only way of using a PC to record from a Sky box is a using a video grabber usb device or PCI card (as you have been pointed to) and AFAIK you will not be able to use an EPG guide to do this. Some "hobby" satellite boxes can be connected to PCs and used as tuners but not Sky boxes. What you need to record from satellite with an EPG guide is a satellite tuner card or usb device connected direct to your dish and absolutely no connection to Sky box.
  14. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    The guy is a plonker. Why a USB device should be any different to a card I do not know why - other than being a real hassle to fit.
    I have a USB device, approx one and a half inches by three quarters of an inch that allows me to view, and record via EPG, all the terrestrial SD and HD channels.

(And also lets me view and control live TV also)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  15. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,413
    If I wanted anything like that I too would rather use a simple USB device than go into the computer to fix a new card - but the USB description does confuse things a bit by calling that a card!
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  16. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    You perogative, but unjustified.........:devil:

Sorry, I was trying to be helpful by suggesting a cheaper, and easier to implement, solution. :confused:
  17. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,413
    OK then - you've both got your comments back.

Nothing to apologise for - it's exactly the sort of thing he needs - my point was that the seller confuses matters - well, he did me, when I first saw it - by calling a card what is self-evidently not a card!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  18. AndyCob

AndyCob Active Member

Ratings:
    +254
    Actually the OP is not quite as far out as you think. If you have one of the MCE usb remote control receivers that has an IR blaster out on it (not all did but some do, my old sony one even has two) together with a capture card then what the OP wants is at least manually possible. I have an old Hauppauge TV card, analogue and digitial tuner, plus s-vhs and composite video in plus RCA audio.

With the USB IR receiver installed (with the blaster to the Sky box) and s-vhs or composite +rca audio to the capture card, installing the TV card under MCE (this worked even back in Vista) all you had to do was set the option as set-top box rather tuner. MCE would then use the blaster to change the channel on the box for programmed recordings. I'm fairly certain this was intended for freeview rather than Sky but I think it was possible to either set recordings manually by time or with a bit of setting up even et a Sky epg list.

I can't remember if there was an option to choose Sky easily as the set top box so that MCE would download an EPG for the Sky channels though. I know people have done it with Sat tuner cards so the data exists somewhere but I don't know if MCE will find it automaticaly (it's years since I used this setup).

It's much easier just to get a Sky box with a bigger drive.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  19. ETNiES87

ETNiES87 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  20. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,413
    "composite +rca audio to the capture card" is done by a Scart-to-phono adapter in one of the two Scart sockets.