1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Bundle Help?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Processors' started by CL0NE, Jan 31, 2012.

1. CL0NE

CL0NE Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, my first post so be gentle.
    I'm looking to get a new build in 3 to 4 weeks and would like some advice.
    I'm going to get a Scan overclocked bundle thats for sure but which one?
    £550. is my budget or there abouts and I fancy a water cooled CPU too.

Is water cooled a good idea or a waste of money. ?

Which motherboard ?

4,8 or 12 GB mem?

and I want a SSD.

Thanks.
  2. shadowboxer

shadowboxer Member

Ratings:
    +196
    What's the PC going to be used for?

What case do you have?

WRT to watercooling, it depends on what the cooler is, CPU and how far you want to overclock. High end air coolers such at the Thermalright Silver Arrow, Phanteks and Noctua are all better than the closed loop waterclooling units (except the dual rad. Corsair H100).

Quite a few people have reported problems with Scan returns recently both on this forum and at bit-tech. I would personally not buy from them.
  3. CL0NE

CL0NE Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  4. shadowboxer

shadowboxer Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Sandy Bridge overclocking is very easy. Would you consider doing it yourself to save some money as most retailers won't put the bundle together before shipping and the buyer more often than not has to do it anyway. The advantage of the bundle though I guess is if something fails or is DOA then you can ship the whole lot back to them to sort out. If buying a bundle I'd look at Aria and Overclockers. Both have good customer services and have never experienced any problems from either. 4.7GHz is really the limit that any company will gurantee an overclock of, any more and I would'nt trust it.

I think the closed loop watercooling units are more for asthetics as there are cheaper and better performing air coolers. Both the Antec 920 and Corsair H80 are pretty good though and won't have any trouble with a 4.7GHz overclock.

In terms of motherboard, do you want it to be SLI/Xfire compatible. There are plenty of options available. Look for a Gen3. Z68 motherboard if you want PCI-E 3.0 and compatibility with Ivy Bridge. If your after a basic Z68 motherboard then Gigabyte and MSI have some good options that have plenty of features.
  5. CL0NE

CL0NE Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. shadowboxer

shadowboxer Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Not bad but case looks cheap in my opinion, no need for an i7 2600K if this is for a gaming PC (stick with Intel i5-2500K), Coolermaster GX PSU's aren't great and in reviews have shown not to supply the stated power, Corsair Vengeance RAM is not low profile so you may have difficulty installing an air cooler if you decide to go that way, motherboard is OK but that version doesn't have any video outputs so you can't use the integrated graphics or make use of Lucid Logic Virtu. Also you've not stated what graphics card your looking at? Motherboard is capable of SLI and Xfire (although I wouldn't want to risk it with that PSU) so if that's not of any interest then you could save a little money there.

What's your total budget for this build and what will it be used for?
  7. CL0NE

CL0NE Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Gaming PC, will have £500-550 but want an SSD for OS boot and have always fancied water cool to get it really quiet,but not ecential.
    Currently own two GTX 460's but not in same machine, could sell one and get somthing like a 560ti or 570,or I could use both in Sli and replace my sons GPU with similar.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  8. CL0NE

CL0NE Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What about this ?

Product Description

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) Motherboard

£109.99

2nd Generation Intel® Core? i5 2500K 3.30GHz Socket LGA1155 - Retail.

£167.99

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

£40.99

Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

£78.50

OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 2.5" 60GB Solid State Hard Drive

£74.99

Total Amount:

£472.46
  9. shadowboxer

shadowboxer Member

Ratings:
    +196
    That looks good. Good motherboard too, gets decent reviews. Capable of SLI/Xfire at x8/x8 so you can use both of your GTX460's. Amazon have got it for £102. Selling one and getting a GTX560Ti isn't worth it IMO, the 460's overclock amazingly well and will bring it to almost GTX560Ti levels.

I'd go for some low profile RAM, even though the heatsinks won't interfer with a watercooling unit if you ever change for an air cooler it'll save some hassle.

Something like the Antec Kuhler 620 will be fine. Remember Sandy Bridge runs a lot cooler than the older first generation i5/i7's. I had and that cooler with a push/pull configuration on my overclocked i7 920 @4.2GHz so keeping a Sandy Bridge setup cool will be no trouble at all.

In terms of the SSD, I'd go for a Crucial M4 or if that is a bit expensive a Corsair Force 3.
  10. CL0NE

CL0NE Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all you imput,will update when I finally purchase.