Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 3tb harddrive for a dune hd d1?

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by jasonbee, Oct 24, 2012.

1. jasonbee

jasonbee Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    Can you recommed me a 3tb hardrive to fit internally on a dune hd d1?
    I had got my sights set on a WD caviar green WD30EZRX
    from scan ,scan code LN40904 £111.96

But then i read some peoples reviews saying they wernt very reliable?
    (not on this site)

What drive do you think i should go with?
    Thanks
    Jas
  2. TONYELISE

TONYELISE Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    I know someone who is using one of these in a dune hd max with no problems.

Seagate 3TB Barracuda Series 3.5 inch Hard Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. jasonbee

jasonbee Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks tony elise will have a look
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  4. mcspongy

mcspongy Member

Ratings:
    +126
    Dune and others recommend a green drive for the H1 and D1 I.e. < 6000rpm.

Not sure but suspect Dune Max has a fan inside which D1 doesn't so you may have overheating issues with a 7200rpm.

I have a WD green 3TB EZRX in my H1 (5400rpm) and - touch wood- so far so good, never gets hot just warm (but it is slightly nosier than a Samsung 2TB in use....but still cannot hear it over my pj's fan, so mute point).
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  5. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,086
    No, the only Dune with a fan is the HD Duo and Dune still recommend only using Green HDD's.

Mark.
  6. mcspongy

mcspongy Member

Ratings:
    +126
    And you'll get free delivery from Scan (don't work there btw) if you follow sticky in Computer bargains forum.

For info, I have had trouble accessing the 3TB drive when connecting my laptop via the Dune's USB slave port. I think this is an issue with my laptop rather than the Dune, but in future I am going to stick with 2TB max for Dune internally.

I believe there is currently a problem reading external 3TB HDDs with the Dune smart models, although I hope Dune to fix this with a firmware upgrade like they did for the internal drive.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  7. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,086
    eSATA HDD's should be fine, it is just when connecting them via USB I believe. It is also for all Dune's AFAIK rather than just the Smart players.

I think it was graham who posted somewhere that many 3Tb USB HDD's are actually formatted as 2 partitions, a 2.2Tb and 0.8Tb partitons that the USB interface then combines again, and this causes issues for many media players.

Mark.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. PE06MCG

PE06MCG Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I confirm my D1 used to run hot without any HDD.

However if the ventilation slots in its casing are properly opened up heat can easily escape instead of being trapped.
    Basic sheet metal engineering design fault, nothing to do with the HDD.
    Unless of course there is another reason to prefer the Green one?

My D1 now runs barely warm using a normal (non green) HDD.
  9. mcspongy

mcspongy Member

Ratings:
    +126
    Peter, that's very interesting to know as I've only ever used my H1 with a HDD inside So I just assumed it caused the warmth you can feel near the vents.

Any chance you post a pic of your modification? I'm not keen on doing whilst my H1 still under warranty, but if a quicker drive works fine then I'd try one especially as they often seem cheaper and don't suffer from some of the head-parking issues some of the green drives seem to.
  10. PE06MCG

PE06MCG Member

Ratings:
    +61
    To be clear, I do not have an H1 just the D1.

I must also report that no matter how hot it got (and it was really hot to the touch) I have never experienced any visible PQ problems but it cannot be good for the PCB let alone my fingers / arm.

On my model there are 30 slots arranged in 3 rows towards the rear of the box.
    Slot size is about 10mm x 2mm (excluding radii).
    Unfortunately these are not complete slots but are produced with a louvre tool that effectively pierces only one side of the slot so air can only get in or out via the depth that tool pierces to.

My remedy was to remove the cover, place it on a piece of plywood then open up the slots individually from the inside with a combination of a hammer and a hand tool such as large screwdriver / cold chisel.
    Crude but effective.
    No damage on the painted surface of the cover but care needed when replacing cover due to extending the slots downwards so proximity of HDD and leads that bit closer.

Obviously you may be accused of interfering with the Warrenty but I see it as curing the heat problem in a more constructive way than blaming the use of a perfectly good type of HDD.

Again I have no complaints at all about my D1 from a PQ / use point of view, just their lack of understanding about basic engineering.

Incidentally in my view the use of a fan would only circulate the increasing temperature of the 'internals' and be of little use until the in / out airways are made available to its function.

Just an opinion based on personal experience.

Tried to add a photo but the jpeg fails to upload and gives no reason.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  11. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,086
    Probably too big a file or resolution
    jpeg - Max file size: 240.0 KB or Max resolution: 980x980

Mark.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. PE06MCG

PE06MCG Member

Ratings:
    +61
    How do I reduce it ?
    Sorry to be so ignorant Mark.
  13. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,086
    Open it in a photo editing program - even MS Paint will do the trick. You should then be able to resize, crop etc the image into a format you can upload to the forum.

Mark.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. PE06MCG

PE06MCG Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Here is my modified D1 with extended airways (thanks Mark).

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1