Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do I put Kinect??

Discussion in 'Xbox One Forum' started by MartinH32, Oct 21, 2013.

1. MartinH32

MartinH32 Member

Ratings:
    +130
    Ok, one of the things bothering me - where on earth do I stick Kinect? My centre speaker takes pride of place where the Kinect would go and no room under or over the tele :rolleyes:
  2. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Can you post a pic of your setup, so we can help without trying to imagine it!? :D
  3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar Active Member

Ratings:
    +558
    So the top of your centre speaker is really close to the bottom of your tv? Mine's going on top of my centre speaker, but if it doesn't fit, and it cannot go above the tv, I guess just to one side of the centre speaker would be best.
  4. iwb100

iwb100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,190
    I have a similar issue in that my soundbar is (of course) in front of my TV. I can't put the kinect on top of the soundbar or it will block the TV. If I put it in front of the soundbar I'm worried it might block the IR sensor.

My TV is a thin LED so kinect can't go on top without ruining the aesthetic (and I'd need a mount).........
  5. EDDS

EDDS Active Member

Ratings:
    +378
  6. Korum

Korum Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Aww, the title of this thread is so tempting to answer but I don't want to get a ban so close to launch day.:D
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Se777eN

Se777eN Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,439
    In the bin :D
  8. RedAl

RedAl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,610
    I've been struggling the same like that. I've bitten my tongue so many times venturing past this thread ;)
  9. jjgreenwood

jjgreenwood Active Member

Ratings:
    +610
  10. Nezben

Nezben Active Member

Ratings:
    +585
    Kinect doesnt have to be central does it? (To the TV?)
  11. Stinja

Stinja Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,686
    Not compulsory anymore, OP could just eBay it.

If using it, pretty sure all demo's have it fairly central on the TV (above or below).
  12. TayWax

TayWax Active Member

Ratings:
    +982
    I didn't think it needed to be central but not sure it would work as well reading people's movements in relation to the game if it was off centre
  13. King Tones

King Tones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,007
    To who ?

Why would someone buy it ?
  14. Mr Noble

Mr Noble Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,556
    Can never have to many kinects Tones :D

I had the same idea until i clicked on every console ships with it, then again if one breaks due to children tampering with it then people might want a spare?

I think most will keep it for the snap features have to admit wasn't keen on the whole idea to start with but i'm warming to it, i hope you can skype recent players.

Hi bud Just calling to say you suck ...good day to you :devil:
  15. King Tones

Ratings:
    +7,007
    I actually think it will be a success to be honest and people will warm to it alot.
    I'm not saying it will change gaming but I think it will change how we communicate and play together.

Party Chat is a standard now for MP gaming. I can see some Kinect Features becoming standard and must have after using them.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  16. Mr Noble

Mr Noble Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,556
    I'll be using it for multiplayer chat at the least considering my tritton ax pro+ headset will not work for chat
  17. King Tones

Ratings:
    +7,007
    I'm hoping its good for that, I do love wearing a decent headset but sometimes I just want to chill and chat without a headset. Kinect currently does ok but suffers from Echo's.
    Hopefully Kinect 2 will focus on your voice and be clearer so no need for a headset and I can tell someone in a nice clear voice I banged your mum....again and your dad is a fag. Ah Xbox Live I do Love you :love::laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,689
    I shall put it in front of the TV's base, but I didn't realise you are supposed to rest the sensor on the mic if you position it underneath the TV. This is because it doesn't have a motorised stand to point up. Not very elegant. I also didn't realise Microsoft had in mind it being mounted on top of your TV. That wouldn't work with mine, because its controls are in the middle on the top.
  19. barneystuta

barneystuta Member

Ratings:
    +381
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ct-lets-you-stand-closer-to-the-sensor-report

20. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,689
    Microsoft already said the new sensor doesn't need as much space as the old one.
  21. Cobb

Cobb Member

Ratings:
    +275
    Does anyone have any idea as to whether sitting too close to the Kinect sensor will cause problems? I use a gaming monitor so I'm literally 2-3ft away from the screen.
  22. iwb100

iwb100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,190
    It won't cause problems unless you are trying to play a game and use motion detection from the kinect. Voice commands will be fine.

But I doubt at that distance you will get any useful head tracking or body tracking, say for BF4's lean function (you might in practice as I'm sure AP has said it works to about 3ft, but to be safe I'm going with not at this stage) but I assume those features will be able to be turned off in game.

Certainly 2-3ft will not be enough for full body tracking games like Kinect Sports Rivals and Just Dance etc etc.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Nezben

Nezben Active Member

Ratings:
    +585
    I got myself the Kinect on Saturday with a game for £20 (couldnt pass that up) just to see what it was like.

Went to plug it into my old style phat 360 and its not even USB! Nice one Microsoft. I need an adapter.
    So i still dont know what its like.
    I bought it as a tester for Xbox One to see if it works in my living space etc.
  24. jayd

jayd Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578
    The requirements and tech are totally different so to be honest there's no point buying a kinect 1 to see if a kinect 2 will suffice. It's like buying a Ford cortina in anticipation of a Ferrari to see if you can drive it.
  25. Trist

Trist Active Member

Ratings:
    +429
  26. Trist

Trist Active Member

Ratings:
    +429
  27. Nezben

Nezben Active Member

Ratings:
    +585
    Huh? But both cars will take space up in the garage yes? And both cars presumably work? Im not talking about experience here.
  28. jayd

jayd Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578
    I was only joking sorry with the car analogy, sorry.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. turk3y

turk3y Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    it is usb but if you got one that came bundled with a slim xbox then the cable is expecting power and usb over the same lead, if you get a standalone version I think it has two leads / a power supply that strips the usb out of the single lead and powers it. If that makes sense.

For Kinect 2 I am going to have to jerry rig something to hold it above my center speaker under the TV, it might be resting on a couple of folded bits of paper to start until a decent cheap adaptor comes out, or I will have to make my own shelf that somehow attaches to the speaker mount points so I do not have to drill into the all again.

It will probably some sort of metal L bracket brought from B and Q and a simple DSLR tripid screw like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PC-VDM-1...471?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b7978d4f

tho then hold Kinect onto the metal bracket. I will have to drill a hole in the beacket obviously, but I think it might be far easier than buying some horrid over the TV mount when a small and subtle bit of bent metal will do the job.

like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-shape-met...408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd3aaee18

paint black and job done
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  30. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,817