Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will the first PVR HD Freesat box be released

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by Rob20, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Rob20

Rob20 Member

Ratings:
    +43
    I know Humax have said they'll have one out by the summer, but I have seen no details on an actual date, spec or price. Anyone heard anything? I'd want a PVR in order to rec HD programming such as Champions League come the start of the new footy season. Are there any other PVR drives on the horizon?
  2. Pgmabley

Pgmabley Member

Ratings:
    +28
    The whole operation is more secretive than the third reich (sp?).

Any other information other than the next couple of months is speculation.

I'm waiting eagerly too :thumbsup:
  3. sheppy124

sheppy124 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I Will be surprised if it actually records in hd format as well. most probably a downscaled format
  4. derek500

derek500 Active Member

Ratings:
    +315
    It will record in HD, same as a Sky HD box does.
  5. Curry Monster

Curry Monster New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    What would be the point in that????:nono:

I am sure it will just record the stream as the SKY HD box does:lesson:
  6. derek500

derek500 Active Member

Ratings:
    +315
    FYI from next season Sky will have up to 15 matches from the Champions League each week compared to ITV's maximum one.
  7. sheppy124

sheppy124 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Was just thinking out aloud, forgot about skyhd box doing it.:(
  8. Rob20

Rob20 Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Would be looking to get Sky HD as well. Support Arsenal...thinking about it, it's quite rare for Arsenal to be the main game on ITV. Usually man U if we're paired with them. I suppose if Sky had ITV HD from the start there would be little point in investing in Freesat. Though obviously you won't have the additional cost of installing a satellite dish. maybe it would be better to wait 6 months or so to see when Sky are likely to get ITV HD and what other benefits Freesat will offer. Probably isn't worth £150-300 just to be able to watch ITV in HD.
  9. Starburst

Starburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    Give the summer and then we'll have a much better view of what ITV is going to offer in HD for footy fans and how it works or doesn't with SKY HD homes. It also gives Freesat some time to mature and hopefully the DVR will be on the market.
  10. YellowSphere

YellowSphere Active Member

Ratings:
    +487
    If one comes out that can not only use the ethernet port for interactive content, but also for networking recorded programmes throughout the house, I will be a very happy bunny.

If not, I'm going to have great fun working out how I can have a system whereby I can record satellite with an EPG and watch it on another television elsewhere.
  11. Maggie

Maggie Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Can't see ITV being on the Sky EPG ant time soon, as the Goverment are reliant on both ITV and BBC leading the way for the 'big switchover' on digital and have already invested heavily by way of our licence fee. Accordingly, that will narrow the field somewhat if one of the big players breaks away even just on HD, which is one of the reasons for bringing in digital in the first place.
  12. Starburst

Starburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037

I hope you are wrong:)
    Yes the government seems to want the BBC to fund the digital switchover from it's own funds, ITV are paying nothing towards it as they don't get any of the license fee and are purely a commercial organisation, they are not part of Freesat to aid the switchover.

As for HD I don't really understand what breaking away has to do with anything, if ITVHD is on the SKY EPG is still remains viewable on the Freesat HD boxes either as an interactive element or a proper channel, nothing would change.

Digital was brought in by SKY and OnDigital to cram more channels into a finite amount of spectrum, there is no regulatory enforced remit to adopt HD, it's purely an economic decision by vested interests.
  13. ayrshire

ayrshire Member

Ratings:
    +4
    A Sky 'insider' tells me that ITV HD via Sky is a done deal, also by year end no HD subscription, geuine info, whether totally correct or not we will see.
  14. Rob20

Rob20 Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Would be interesting to think that Freesat has the potential, (especially if there are more HD channels arriving this year), to make Sky remove the £10 charge. I would definitely be more interested in getting Sky HD if there was no charge. £38 a month for the main packs + sports is enough. I guess it depends whether uptake of Sky HD has slowed sufficiently that they would want to boost uptake.
  15. zag2me

zag2me Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Yep :) that would seem logical and tie in with sky's pricing policy in the past.
  16. saibot

saibot Member

Ratings:
    +43
    It used to be standard sky box and sky+ the luxury, now they recently got rid of the sky+ sub, and now seem to be pushing sky+ in a big way with a lot more advertising and cheaper boxes. So perhaps sky+ will become the default box and HD made more an attractive pacakge for the masses.
  17. CH_Peter

CH_Peter Active Member

Ratings:
    +278
    I have an email from Humax stating that the PVR (or DTR) will be available "late 2008 / early 2009."
  18. DoctorK

DoctorK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Aww man REALLY?

Thanks one heck of a long time.
  19. CH_Peter

CH_Peter Active Member

Ratings:
    +278
    Especially in dog years. :rolleyes:
  20. Clatter

Clatter Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Why is it taking them so long to get the PVR on the market? Technically havent they done it all before anyway?
  21. CH_Peter

CH_Peter Active Member

Ratings:
    +278
    Maybe they've been working on this?

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/pvr-9300t.asp

Although if that has the same software as the 9200, I shall be most disappointed, as that's years old and looks pants.

Freesat PVR, PS3 Play TV or 9300 (providing it has newer software) - just sat here drumming my fingers waiting. Pull your fingers out, chaps!
  22. Smith2004

Smith2004 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    This is really disappointing news. There really should have been a HD PVR (or two) ready for the Freesat launch. I really want to ditch Sky HD, but without a HD PVR (preferably with archive capabilities via USB2) Freesat is as yet a non-starter for me.
  23. Starburst

Starburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037

You have gone down to the basic package either £10 a month (SKY+ or HD) or a single MIX at £16 to cut the cost of SKY until the Freesat HD DVR is released?
  24. hilhames

hilhames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When the new Humax comes out will it record from Freeview as well if the tv has integrated Freeview? Thank you
  25. Starburst

Starburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037

I assume you mean the Humax 9300 which is a Freeview DVR?
    If so then yes, the aerial will go into the DVR then passed through to the tuner in the TV.

If not then the Humax Freesat DVR is not a Freeview box and therefore the TV uses the aerial and the DVR uses a satellite dish.
  26. -=Rob=-

-=Rob=- Member

Ratings:
    +46
    I'm waiting with baited breath for the Freesat PVR, as my Sky HD box is getting a bit tempremental now and VM want silly money for their V+ box and monthly fees. Looks like a bit of a wait still, however I was considering a freeview PVR in the short term, what does the freesat give me that freeview doesn't. Is it just the HD channels?
  27. Starburst

Starburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037

Do you live in a decent coverage area and can access all 6 DTT muxes because if you don't then get the wallet out or even wait for analogue switchoff:)

Freeview
    Freesat

Also check Freesatfromsky since that has 99.9% of the FTA channels listed many of which will turn up on the Freesat EPG eventually.

Finally if you buy a Freesat HD box then you also get BBCHD and ITVHD.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. ian-d

ian-d Member

Ratings:
    +172
    The most annoying thing is that Freesat are not allowed to tie Humax into a set release date, only indications, so Humax can take as long as they want, and being the only manufacturer of a DTR/PVR at this time, they'll be in no hurry. But lets face it, would we really want a launch any time soon with the number of problems the FOXSAT has?!?!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. son_t

son_t Member

Ratings:
    +215
    How can Freesat tie Humax into a PVR release date when they have not completed the specs for it yet? :rolleyes:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=25302033#post25302033

If they haven't handed them over to Humax, maybe they are still thinking hard on specifying how ITV HD is to be recorded? :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  30. hilhames

hilhames Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you. I was referring to the new Humax with the unspecified launch date. If I bought one of those when it came out are you saying that although my new tv would have freeview I would not be able to record it without another recording box as well eg 2 Humax's? Only Freeview and freesat wont have all the same tv stations will they?