What's happening with the Airdac

Nice one look forward to hearing more of your views
Geoff:lesson:

Success! I have wireless music from my laptop. It is a Windows laptop. Only problem is that I cannot control it through my phone because I'm useing the airdac as an access point. If it were able to stay connected through the wireless network I could have used Apple's app called "remote" to control iTunes on the laptop. It might be A compromise that I have to live with. We will see how it goes. I might just get motivated to try using that powerline product. As things stand right now on a 1 to 10 scale I give this product an 8. The reason I wouldn't give it a 10 is because of the issues with the connectivity but the sound quality I have to say is quite good. Very happy with the product overall.

Disappointing to read of problems so far - for £400 I'd expect - demand - it did everything that was claimed, without compromise. I have a Marantz M-CR610 - as soon as it was connected wirelessly to my network, which it did first time, just entered my key, I was streaming from iTunes on my MacBook via Airplay within seconds and it has worked perfectly ever since. That is how it should be. If the Arcam is not that easy and robust then I won't be bothering.

What compromises are those?

I used to piece together high end a/v systems. My boss gave the process a name "system design". What I did was plan out and ensure the proper installation if multi room high end a/v systems that would commonly get into the six figure price range. These systems would go into home anywhere from 5,000-15,000 sq ft homes. Let me tell you, there are so many variables that can come into play that rarely is it the case that everything works perfectly right out of the gate. So my prior comment after Ela ted's statement 'demanding...without compromise...' was to say that things aren't always perfect. Especially when you are talking about a new product. I currently know of no other product like the airdac on the market. It's a high end wireless dac w/flexibility of USB + 2 digital ins and a digital out. In this case I am an early adopter. It's a risk I knowingly take and if I didn't have the stomach for it I would just wait a few years until someone makes one that probably will not sound as good!

No need to be sorry I enjoyed your post so glad that somebody as actually bought one.USB?

Last edited:
Yep the Airdac hasn't got one has it

Ok, it's a high end wireless dac, but that’s all it is. As well as my MCR610, I picked up a Denon DNP-F109 streamer, plugged it in, put in my wifi key and away it went, perfect. Both of the machines are wireless Airplay dac's, with a load of other gubbins bolted on and they work fine. My point is that the airDAC is a pretty simple piece of kit and should work as advertised, indeed without compromise!

Last edited:
I just bought and also had drop outs at random but mostly when I was streaming from spotify , Internet radio never dropped out interestingly. , seems my virgin media superhub didnt like doing all the streaming as I added a new linksys ae6900 router to the network on my dealers advice and all is now well , seems the Airdac is only as good as the network it's sitting on , anyway it sounds really good so I'm happy now.

Correct. If that's your preference then this is not the unit for you. For my purposes i have my music on my laptop and i don't want to have to fire it up everytime I want to play music. Aol

I am using verizon fios' router and I now believe this is the source of my dropouts. when i use it in access point mode the airdac is rock solid, zero issues. I'll have to research if I can use something other than verizon's router to obtain better results.

I just bought and also had drop outs at random but mostly when I was streaming from spotify , Internet radio never dropped out interestingly. , seems my virgin media superhub didnt like doing all the streaming as I added a new linksys ae6900 router to the network on my dealers advice and all is now well , seems the Airdac is only as good as the network it's sitting on , anyway it sounds really good so I'm happy now.

Roadwarrior, did you replace your virgin media hub or were you able to add the linksys to it?

Roadwarrior, did you replace your virgin media hub or were you able to add the linksys to it?

I put the superhub into modem only mode and added the new router , was dead easy and has improved the network no end !

Has anyone experienced problems when having both an Ethernet and Optical connected?

Ethernet to switch, optical to Mac mini. Mine keeps jumping from optical to net mode. Had to disconnect one of them to stop the sporadic input jumps.

Still not convinced!

Hi Guys,

interesting piece of hardware.. i'm interested in this device to be used as DAc off course but also the streaming function..

Anyone of you guys already able to say if it has direct NAS support? (play files from the NAS without the need of a computer to be turned on) and is this working satisfactorily?

I've got one a brilliant bit of kit a genuine contender to the Arcam Air Dac
At a basic level they have similar functionality - but if its important to you the Myro has only Ethernet/WiFi connection where the Arcam has additional SPDIF inputs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom