Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats best for music storage on HDD

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by blueye, Sep 17, 2008.

1. blueye

blueye Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Good people :hiya:
    The hard disk on my computer is full, so I'm thinking what device would be best to store my albums in WAV and stream music/Internet radio via a tos link optical connection to my DAC. I have heard that the tvix M-6500A is good but my main interest is music in an uncompressed format. All ideas would be welcome
    Thanks for your help in anticipation.
    Blueye :thumbsup:
  2. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,881
    Problem with Wav is that it isn't taggable and storing music digitally without tagging will come back to bite you at some point as most digital playback is organised by tags.

FLAC is the format you want
  3. blueye

blueye Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for your reply.
    Flac I believe applies some compression?? Although I want full fat files for my hifi can I convert FLAC so Walkman and itunes can play the stored music?
    Once again thanks for any replies.
    Blueye
  4. kingfats

kingfats Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,844
    Moved. :)
  5. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe Member

Ratings:
    +210
    FLAC is as the name represents Free Lossless Audio Codec, i.e. the data is compressed, but no data is actually thrown away and lost (unlike MP3).
    FLAC compression reduces the WAV file sizes by around 50%, thus freeing up plenty of space. For your walkman, I'd suggest a higher bitrate MP3, after all you're talking about music on the move, often in a noisy environment, where absolute quality will be pretty much impossible to achieve.

As for running out of hard drive space, stuff another drive in your PC. 1TB drives are now available for around £100. If you haven't space inside your PC, get an external USB drive, they're not much more.
  6. dpstjp

dpstjp Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Bear in mind that unless you back up the files if your hard drive fails you'll lose the data on it, or have to pay a fortune to get it back if possible. You could look at reducing this risk by using a RAID format either through Network Attached Storage (NAS) or in your PC.
  7. wysinawyg

wysinawyg Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Or even better have a proper backup solution.
  8. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,487
  9. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe Member

Ratings:
    +210
    Agreed. I have my music collection mirrored onto a physically separate hard drive. It's not a question of "if" a hard drive will fail, rather than "when".
  10. spl23

spl23 Active Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Mirrored on one separate hard drive? Pah! ;-) You have far too much faith in the technology...

My music lives on a RAID1 NAS with hot-swappable drives which is configured to email me in the event of a drive failure. That is backed up every few weeks to one of two external USB hard drives, one of which is stored in my office at work. This means that to lose all my music would require both my house and my place of work to burn down on the same day.

It could be argued that I'm a *bit* paranoid, I guess... ;-)